U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 AM

59 posts, read 119,374 times
Default Which is better: Raleigh or Greensboro?

I have been contemplating a move to either Raleigh or Greensboro and would like to know in anybody's personal opinion which city would be better to live in. I am single and I want to know which city would be good in terms of nightlife, jobs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 AM

2,077 posts, read 4,312,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1330 View Post
I have been contemplating a move to either Raleigh or Greensboro and would like to know in anybody's personal opinion which city would be better to live in. I am single and I want to know which city would be good in terms of nightlife, jobs, etc.
I would say both cities could suit your needs. You're asking a vague question. We would need more information to go on to give you a better perspective.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM

59 posts, read 119,374 times
Okay Sorry if I'm vague. I guess I'm asking which city would be the most fun for a single man with no kids. I mean fun in terms of which city has the best nightlife and entertainment options in everybody's opinion.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM

882 posts, read 1,317,759 times
Raleigh hands down. Your thread should be more along the lines of Charlotte versus Raleigh.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,701,876 times
Generally speaking, Raleigh is going to offer more of what you're looking for since it's bigger.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM

444 posts, read 722,310 times
As I said before in the Charlotte vs. Raleigh post; They are both nice cities where most people move too from out of state.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 PM

3,492 posts, read 5,644,292 times
Greensboro has a vibrant nightlife. Raleigh is just a little bigger but I think you'll find both cities equal in terms of entertainment and nightlife. I dont think one city has a better nightlife than the other. Bigger doesnt always mean more. I understand why some have said clearly Raleigh because it was only in the past several years Greensboro's nightlife really took off. Less than 10 years ago downtown Greensboro was completely dead at night. Now its bumper to bumper traffic downtown on elm after midnight during the weekends and people everywhere on the streets walking and lined up to get into the nightclubs, comedy club, theater, restaurants and bars. You'll find a nice selection of casual or upscale restaurants, bars and nightclubs. One thing you cant do in downtown Raleigh that you you can do in downtown Greensboro is go to a baseball game. But Greensboro's nightlife goes far beyond the borders of downtown. Its not just about Charlotte and Raleigh anymore. There is more to North Carolina than those two cities.

Last edited by gsoboi; 04-17-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 PM

2,077 posts, read 4,312,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Greensboro has a vibrant nightlife. Raleigh is just a little bigger but I think you'll find both cities equal in terms of entertainment and nightlife. I dont think one city has a better nightlife than the other. Bigger doesnt always mean more. I understand why some have said clearly Raleigh because it was only in the past several years Greensboro's nightlife really started boom. Less than 10 years ago downtown Greensboro was completely dead at night. Now its bumper to bumper traffic downtown on elm after midnight during the weekends and people everywhere on the streets walking and lined up to get into the nightclubs, restaurants and bars. One thing you cant do in downtown Raleigh that you you can do in downtown Greensboro is go to a baseball game. But Greensboro's nightlife goes far beyond the borders of downtown.

We can go to downtown Durham to go to a baseball game (darn good AAA team at that). I live in the Raleigh city limits and I'm 12 miles to downtown Durham and 12 miles to downtown Raleigh...best of both worlds. I'm not familiar with Greensboro too much, so I'm sure the night life their could be comparable to Raleigh, but Raleigh does have about 35% more people than Greensboro and is slightly more dense.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
We can go to downtown Durham to go to a baseball game (darn good AAA team at that). I live in the Raleigh city limits and I'm 12 miles to downtown Durham and 12 miles to downtown Raleigh...best of both worlds. I'm not familiar with Greensboro too much, so I'm sure the night life their could be comparable to Raleigh, but Raleigh does have about 35% more people than Greensboro and is slightly more dense.

the atmosphere in Greensboro has changed pretty quick over the past 8 years. Major upscale retail chains like Brooks Brothers have finally come to Greensboro. High paying jobs are on the horizon (HondaJet, Levano, ect). But like I said I dont think either city is better than the other in terms of night life. Now jobs on the other hand is a different. JV1330 you will find more job opportunities in Raleigh and the Triangle in general. Nightlife is a tie in my opinion. But i will say this. Bon Jovi is a regular at one downtown greensboro restaurant when he is in town and even the girls gone wild bus tour pull through and stopped at one of the downtown night clubs.

Last edited by gsoboi; 04-17-2009 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Some big names also comes to the N Club in downtown Greensboro. The N Club is a part of the House of Blues network so some acts that you would see at the House of Blues, you will see at the N Club.

a few nightlife scenes in downtown greensboro

http://www.mcoulspub.com/Nalick/slides/DSC01086.JPG (broken link)

http://www.nclub.com/images/concert/large/DSC_0342_1.jpg (broken link)
http://www.nclub.com/images/concert/large/DSC_0247_1.jpg (broken link)
http://www.vintage301.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/web_vin_1.2181809.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by gsoboi; 04-17-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina