U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 32,525 times

Advertisements

This thread may have come up before, but I have a really slow internet connection and I cannot make it through all the pages of this forum, so forgive me if this has been repeated time and time again! And if you can provide a link to another similar thread if one has been started that would be great too!.....

My fiance JUST received his teacher certification in secondary education (history, social studies, political science) and now comes the hard part of job hunting! We're from Michigan (the Detroit-Metro area) and the prospects aren't looking so great here. We're really up for a move ANYWHERE and have really been considering North Carolina as a place we'd like to move to.

I've been keeping an eye on the teaching situation in the state over the last couple of years and it seems to be getting worse. From an outsider's perspective it seems that the Charlotte area has some budget problems, yet are posting job openings on many websites we've been on lately. Is this a similar situation across the state, or just in the Charlotte area? Are there still districts in desperate need of teachers? We know that pay is not as good as it is here in Michigan or the North in general, but "beggers can't be choosers" at this point...lol The great pay teachers recieve here is half of the reason Josh will be unable to find a job teaching here! There is a huge surplus of teachers here due to our many teaching colleges, it's an extremely competitive market.

We just feel that North Carolina would be a great fit for us. We've heard so many great things about the state, and I've visited a couple of times and have really liked it. We're really hoping the teaching situation will be in our favor and we can start our new life together there soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Local governments within the state are currently experiencing budget problems due to a decrease in local tax revenue collections and reduced funding from the state government. Layoff contingency plans are being established just in case.

Job Vacancies - https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-16-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,461,586 times
I was wondering this myself (I'm from MI too) but the big metro areas are going to be in my town next week for our teacher job fair. Of all the southern states, NC would be the best fit, so I'm considering it.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Read this in my local newspaper this morning:

The state has ordered all North Carolina public and charter schools to freeze vacant positions, promotions, travel and new purchases as efforts to close budget shortfalls continue. A memo was sent to the state's 115 public schools and 97 charter schools Monday from the state's chief education officer, Bill Harrison, outlining the new spending rules, which officials hope will help save the state $159 million to meet payroll obligations and pay bills.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mm34b
Read this in my local newspaper this morning:

The state has ordered all North Carolina public and charter schools to freeze vacant positions, promotions, travel and new purchases as efforts to close budget shortfalls continue. A memo was sent to the state's 115 public schools and 97 charter schools Monday from the state's chief education officer, Bill Harrison, outlining the new spending rules, which officials hope will help save the state $159 million to meet payroll obligations and pay bills.
So basically the whole state is on a teacher hiring freeze? Guess I'll spend my postage elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Thanks for all of the imput! It's just so hard to figure out the climate in other states when you live so far away. There's just so much negative news to report here, not much from other states come our way.

As of just a year and a half ago, many of the larger districts like Charlotte were coming to Michigan in droves to hire teachers, and had billboards everywhere! "Come teach in Charlotte, it's great and we need you!" It's amazing what can happen in a year! It's just a confusing climate to be job hunting in. One second you see a job posting, then you talk with someone or read a story about that district having lay-off's...It's hard to know what to think! And it doesn't help that these districts are coming to job fairs, giving the teachers a false sense of hope! Many of my own state's schools are coming to the fair, admitting that they really don't have openings, but it's just fun to travel to these fairs. With all the budget deficit's you'd think that the travel budget would also be axed!

But, we'll keep on trucking. There's kids somewhere that need to be taught!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EAS2009
Thanks for all of the imput! It's just so hard to figure out the climate in other states when you live so far away. There's just so much negative news to report here, not much from other states come our way.

As of just a year and a half ago, many of the larger districts like Charlotte were coming to Michigan in droves to hire teachers, and had billboards everywhere! "Come teach in Charlotte, it's great and we need you!" It's amazing what can happen in a year! It's just a confusing climate to be job hunting in. One second you see a job posting, then you talk with someone or read a story about that district having lay-off's...It's hard to know what to think! And it doesn't help that these districts are coming to job fairs, giving the teachers a false sense of hope! Many of my own state's schools are coming to the fair, admitting that they really don't have openings, but it's just fun to travel to these fairs. With all the budget deficit's you'd think that the travel budget would also be axed!

But, we'll keep on trucking. There's kids somewhere that need to be taught!
I see you're trying to escape Michigan too. Well, yesterday I got a phone call from a principal in NC who happened to see my resume. She wanted to know more about me, and it may or may not lead to an interview. I guess I'm saying don't be discouraged.

I think there's a teacher job fair at UofM on the 21st for teachers from out of state. You may want to go to that. As for me, I'm not going to give Michigan a second look. I'm outta here.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM

39 posts, read 112,635 times
Hello all Michigan Teachers,
I left Michigan Aug. 2007 and took a teaching job here in NC. I've already signed my contract for next year. It is true that many districts have had to impose hiring freezes...but there are still jobs available for core teaching positions in some districts...especially if you're certified to teach math or science. Don't give up! There are still teaching jobs available here as more and more students keep moving in. You have a much better job of getting a teaching job here in NC than in Michigan.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 PM

Good to hear some encouraging news! My fiance is going to every job fair he can go to next week...lol Which is all of them! Oakland University (his alma mater) on Monday, U of M on Tuesday, EMU on Wednesday, CMU on Thursday, and MSU on Friday! Plus he'll be attending a charter school job fair on Saturday. I'm sure there will be tons of repeat districts, but can't blame the guy for trying!

We know of a couple of people who were offered NC teaching jobs on the spot at some job fairs, but this was about three years ago. We'd love to get the heck outta here, hopefully something goes our way! He had such a successful student teaching experience it would really stink to loose that momentum. And for anyone reading this who is a Michigan teacher and looking into NC, I would love to know how your job hunt/experience is going! I would love to connect with someone else going through the same ups and downs we are!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
We get stuff every day telling us how dire the budget is and it always addresses hiring freezes and such.

Please remember, however, that NC has 100 counties.

Not all are highly desirable, but all have something going for them. If you want to get out of Michigan, you might want to look somewhere other than Raleigh, the Triad, Charlotte, Wilmington or Asheville.

I suggest getting a map, finding a county and learn about it. You might find something you really like in one of the smaller, not high visibility ones. Get a job, rent, and if something more nearly "perfect" comes along, then "move up, next yeat."

Good Luck.

LLN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or