Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,794 times

Advertisements

We plan on buying a house in the next few years. Currently we live in long island in New York. As much as we both LOVE New York, we realize its not always an affordable decision. What would be a good city / suberb to live near where we would see other New Yorkers maybe ? (Just throwing that out there) I hear rumors Charlotte has a lot of New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
You might be better to post this on the NC boards. In the Raleigh area Apex & Carey are popular areas. Charlotte also has plenty of NYers.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Charlotte does have a lot of New Yorkers, but it seems we often hear complaints and disappointment expressed by newcomers from Long Island. I have asked why this is quite a few times, but no one has ever given me an answer. "Just not what I thought it was" is the kind of reply I typically get. So keep that in mind and see if you can get feedback from others who live here and moved from LI, not just NY in general.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
When I first moved here (before Meetup.com was around), a few women got together and started a "New Yorker Club." They'd arrange dinners at different restaurants. There were LOTS of members (easily grew to 100+). Once, I had everyone over at my house for a potluck dinner. Was fun.

Most of the members were from the NYC area. (I'm from western NY, which is like a different country from NYC.)

You might want to start your own NY Club -- or Meetup -- in Charlotte. There are so many NYers, you could further differentiate it: Young Former NY Couples Club... or whatever.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Cary and New Yorkers (NYC)....just like Chocolate and peanut butter....naturally

Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,969 times
Default i wud say raleigh is a good once in nc

hey both me and my husband are young too 22 and 24 and we moved here to nc 3 months ago with our two kids from NYC queens, and must admit i kinda miss it!but how far can u go when ur paying such high rent when u live in a crappy place in nyc. You guys are making a smart decision you'll get so much more here. As for us we live in raleigh, and there is yound people here and in downtown raleigh, they got the clubs and lounges which i think u will find enjoyable. The good thing is raleigh is the capital of ny and if u want to go driving back to ny to visit it will be less time then driving or coming from charlotte. Anywayz good luck guys!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Before you move, make up your mind that you will love North Carolina. Otherwise, you will be greatly disappointed. Nowhere in NC is NY.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,544 times
Lol nowhere in the world is like NY ;P

Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage02 View Post
We plan on buying a house in the next few years. Currently we live in long island in New York. As much as we both LOVE New York, we realize its not always an affordable decision. What would be a good city / suberb to live near where we would see other New Yorkers maybe ? (Just throwing that out there) I hear rumors Charlotte has a lot of New Yorkers.
Just because an area has a lot of people from an area...doesn't make it LIKE that area.

Don't move anywhere expecting it to be the NYC.....it's going to be a city in North Carolina....and that is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina