U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,006 times
Default direct buy high pressure

We just got back from open house in Eatontown NJ and were quoted a minimum fee of $6000 for a [mandatory minimum]three-year period, plus option for 7 years at $190 per year. Thereafter they protect their right to raise "dues." We had to decide then whether to bite or be forever forbidden to re-apply. No 3 day recission period appeared on proposed agreement, although rep. stated that we could rescind if we experienced buyer's remorse. (The contact also had the contrary statement and stated there could be no oral changes.)

We see these ultimatums as undue pressure, but I spoke to customers who were satisfied with their decision to opt-in. We declined. Please see infomercialscams.com for complaints and defenses. Can't vouch for either.

However it might be that the Direct Buy business is franchised with differing fees and policies, although all seem to have pressure-tactics in common. Also some folks seem to have saved real money if they had multiple, especially high-end projects.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:11 PM
bdr

1 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Direct Scam

My relatives have used Direct Buy for a few years now...when it came to buying furniture for our new home they offered to get it "as a gift" through the group.

This is how Direct Buy works: 1. Give us an exorbitant fee because we can get you deals. 2. The furniture you want is 30% below retail. 3. Oops -- don't forget there's our 8 percent fee. 4. Oops-- look here, the manufacturer charges an 20% fee! That almost NEVER happens (yeah right). (By the way, reported them to the manufacturer who said there is NO 20% fee from them so Direct Scam is LYING.) 5. We don't deliver. Pay for that yourself. 6. Delivery people come and say Direct Buy says not to leave any paperwork with us -- we insist and photocopy it ourselves.

End result -- compared to outside retailer on internet who would deliver furniture and not charge us tax -- no savings -- and a BIG HEADACHE. At least we didn't personally pay the fee to join because then it's a BIG net loss.

How in this day in age with the research available via internet ANYONE can fall for this crap is beyond me. And my relatives are in such denial. They think it's great and don't understand how we didn't save! I think Direct Buy is for people who failed math in school and have no internet skills.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 8,627 times
look direct buy has a MYSPACE!..

myspace.com/DirectBuy

Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,602 times
I believe you could cancel the contract w/in three business days. That's on the conatract.

Anyone has sucess in cancelling w/in the first three days?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,611 times
I have never heard any specific savings from this place. The most common reply seems to be "we saved X amount of dollars". Never- I just purchased a GE Washer model #123, I paid $1000 delivered with tax. Sears, Best Buy, etc. has the same unit for $1300 so I know I saved $300. This is the perfect guide and is the only guide. Anything else is Hogwash!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,233 times
Default Presentation Feedback

I hired a bad contractor to remodel my home. The contractor tore everything apart, and skipped out on me. I got left with a basic frame with no roof for $210,000, and had to find another General Contractor to take over and rebuild everything. One of my friends suggested I purchase everything from DirectBuy, and would save 50% on everything. When I tried to buy on DirectBuy's website, I found out I had to get a membership to purchase from them, and was invited to one of their sales presentations. This is my feedback:

From the moment I walked in, I noticed it felt like a TimeShare presentation. I thought it rather odd from a company that sells merchandise. Then, I noticed DirectBuy's "Member Rules", which stated that their prices were all secret, that I couldn't share the prices with retailers to get them to sell to me at lower prices, and that all of this was to "protect the DirectBuy/Consumer relationship". The membership fee was $5,500 for the first two years. The questions that boggled my mind thoughout the entire experience were as follows:

How is it that DirectBuy expects to enforce these "Member Rules"? If a member decides to find DirectBuy's best deal, buy 100 of them, and sell them all on Ebay, how is DB supposed to prevent the member from doing this? Also, it is ridiculous to try to sell someong on the concept that the retailers do not know that DB has a list of purported manufacturers prices. The retailers are in the retail business. They would not be a very successful business if they did not do their research like you and I. With this in mind, it is easy to see that DB's exuse that "once you go to a DB presentation, you must become a member then and there, or you will be banned from ever returning because you have now seen their showroom, and the information you now possess somehow makes you a threat to DB, their members, and their relationship with their manufacturers", is a phony high pressure sales tactic.

I did not buy DB's membership, and frankly couldn't care less about being banned from the place, cause I have no intention on returning. As far as educating the rest of the world on this Top Secret James Bondish information, the only info I now wish to share is this experience with everyone in order to prevent them from making a really stupid expensive mistake. I doubt that current DB members, DB's manufacturers, and seperate retailers care either way. I think its not the top secret prices DB's worried about being spread, but rather the truth about their pyramid scam business. God Bless America, the land of opportunists.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,797,093 times
Funny that 90+% of the people with good DirectBuy experiences only have 1 or 2 posts.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM

8 posts, read 23,815 times
Direct Buy - Don't do it!! If you want to you should send your money to Nigeria for one of the email scams.

Who in thier right mind would sign a contract without through review. That is what they want you to do.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM

15,206 posts, read 24,846,121 times
Here's my post from another Direct Buy thread. Just wanted to share my positive experience.

Yes, we are members. We signed up in San Antonio, TX for $4200. We had a 6500 square foot home to furnish and knew we would be spending around $300,000 to furnish the home with window coverings, furniture, accessories, chandeliers, landscaping, etc., etc. We never used our membership while we were in Texas because we decided we didn't want to live there and moved back to SoCal. We live in the Palm Springs area and when we first got back here, the closest Direct Buy was in Corona.

I went down there to order some things for our new desert home. You pay the manufacturer's cost, which is less than the retail mark up. You also pay tax, shipping and handling. In our case, we would have had to pay for shipping again, as the facility was too far away from our home to just go down there and pick up all this heavy furniture, so we cancelled our order. Hubby was upset that we paid all that money to join and basically couldn't use it. He was just going to cut our Direct Buy cards up and throw them in the trash and chalk this up as a bad experience. I told him not to be too hasty because Direct Buy was supposed to be coming to the desert, but we didn't know when.

We bought our bedroom set, formal custom living room sofa and dining room set from Mathis Bros. in Indio. This cost over $30,000 for these items. AFTER we purchased these items, the new Direct Buy went in 10 minutes from our house!!! Had we waited, we could have bought these very same items for around $9,000.00. We have now purchased some other furniture from the new Direct Buy and it has worked out wonderfully. We are having the barbecue put in our backyard - the guys are here right now, as we speak. We bought our 63" Samsung plasma and Stanley entertainment center through Direct Buy and saved the $4200 membership fee right there in those two items alone. The custom built barbecue would ordinarily run about $15,000 and cost us $7,000 through Direct Buy. We have also ordered other furnishings that have not come in yet and saved a ton of money. We are having all of our window coverings done through Direct Buy. I am having Hunter Douglas Country Woods throughout the house (with fabric valances on top). The Hunter Douglas would ordinarily be around $7,000 for a house this size (3500 sq. ft.) but we are only paying $3500.

If you have a whole house to furnish, or you are doing some major remodeling, the membership cost is worth it. If not, you won't really reap the savings. The other biggie is that the Direct Buy facility has to be near your home. It can't be 2 or 3 hours away.

This has now become a wonderful experience for us and a good investment. I read through all the complaints and things about Direct Buy on other websites AFTER we had already purchased our membership. I admit, I was thinking we had just been ripped off and that it was a scam. I honestly thought this until we had our own facility built 10 minutes from our house. Now I think it's the greatest thing in the world. I have to say, the people at our facility are extremely helpful and we have not had a bad experience there. Some of my friends are members at this facility as well and they are happy with it too.

A lot of you know me, so you know I don't work for Direct Buy - I work in the legal field and I am a competetive ballroom dancer, so I have nothing to gain by giving my positive experience. I really could care less whether you join or not. I just wanted to share my experience, which has turned out to be a good one. I wasn't so sure at first though!

I do wish they would loosen up some of their policies though. It does put a lot of people off when you go for the orientation and you are told that you have to make a decision on the spot. If you do not sign up right then and there you forfeit the ability to join for seven years. That is one of the things that make it seem like a scam. I think they should re-think that policy because it freaks a lot of people out. People would like to be able to go home and discuss it with their spouse and take some time to decide if they really want to spend that much money, if it is worth it to them and be able to make an informed decision rather than a rushed, high pressure decision.

We had never heard of Direct Buy, because we are not big TV watchers. Some friends of ours joined and told us about it. They had just bought a new home and highly recommended that we check it out since we had so much to furnish. I know they paid $5600 to join the Corona facility. All the desert people who joined Corona have transferred here to the La Quinta facility.

Just wanted to share!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 7,954 times
Angry direct buy experience

I was very disappointed with what I have been told about Direct Buy. My husband and I signed up for a "presentation" which is nothing but a high pressure sales pitch. The issues are the following: If you attend a presentation, you must decide that day if you want to buy a membership which in NY costs in excess of 5000.00, I only found this out because I grabbed someone walking out who joined and regretted doing so. If you choose not to join, you are blocked from joining for years. From what I understand, you have three days to cancel but they don't actually let you compare pricing or make purchases in that three days so you can not investigate pricing. What you can purchase is very limitted. Yes, they have a lot of good manufacturerers but do not carry all their lines. We asked about Kitchens an were told they carried Omega and Berskire which are two decent brands but are most costly than the brand I was going to use. So, although I would save money on the purchase from either of those brands, I wouldn't have had the same costs to start with the brand I was planning on purchasing. Here are the problems I have been told exist: Poor customer service, problems with internet access, extemely high shipping costs which is another way Direct Buy can profit and high pressure sales. I walked in with an item I was interested in buying so I asked my sales representative, who denied being a sales rep., but admitted to making a commission. Explain that one??? He said they didn't carry that brand but the brand they carried, although more expensive than what I thought was already unreasonably expensive, was a better quality so I would be saving money....didn't work for me. This all happened before we listened to the sales pitch so rather than sit through it and get pressured and blocked out if I didn't want to join, I walked out and rescheduled for another time so I had time to do more research. I had a lot to order as I am doing an entire house but this high pressure sales pitch and no time to investigate made me think they are shady. If they let you listen to the pitch, think about it and then decide if it was for you, I could see joining but why would you give someone 5K on the promise that you would have money if you can't sleep on the decision. I would suggest that you pick something you are going to buy and price it, make sure to include all shipping and handlling. When you go to your presentation, dont sign without making them do the comparrision on price and see if it works for you. I would have saved money on the brands and styles they carry but saved nothing in the long run since the items I was going to purchase had a lower retail price. I also understand that some of the most popular lines of their brand names, are not available to them although I wasn't allowed to have more information than that. So my experience with Direct Buy consisted of 10 minutes with a sales rep who was preparing me to attend a presentation, discussions out side the building with members and investigation on line. I was very disapointed and left before attending the presentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina