U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

26 posts, read 75,685 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to NC from AZ. We are early 50's, no kids, would like a town between 5,000-15,000 people. We are thinking of an older ( historic) home, with possibly an acre or so. We like small towns, but want to be close (50 miles or so) to a major airport. Hubby would like to stay away from the coast, so I guess central or eastern NC is where we would like to look. So, where would all of you start looking?

Toni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
There are so many nice towns in North Carolina. The first one to pop into my head is Hillsborough. Wonderful historic district and homes. Near Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill for cultural amenities, college and pro sports, shopping, etc. Easy access to RDU Airport.

Salisbury may be a bit bigger than you're looking for, but it too has a lovely historic district. Easy drive to CLT.

I'm sure others will chime in, but these are the first two I thought of.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM

121 posts, read 348,557 times
Pittsboro, Sanford, Graham, Mebane, Wendell. All are relatively near RDU airport.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:31 PM

983 posts, read 3,521,232 times
Clinton is a nice place to live. Population is about 10,000. You're within an hour of the Fayetteville Airport and about 1 1/2 hours from RDU (airwise, it's not that far, but ya' gotta drive to get there...so it takes a little longer).

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
Does anyone know anything about Hoffman, albertson, & raeford ? these are towns we were notified in to checking into in the next couple of weeks we to are early 50's no kids but have doags that are a tad spoiled LOL we like privacy but don't want to live in a run down town or a place that has a high crime rate. we to Also want to be within 1/2 hr to 1 hr away from a larger city we dont require intertainment we can do that for or selfs LOL Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,776,013 times
Hillsborough was also the first one to pop into my head. My favorite town! Definitely check it out while out here. The airport is within a 30 minute drive.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,892,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
Pittsboro, Sanford, Graham, Mebane, Wendell. All are relatively near RDU airport.

We drove through Wendell the other day and were very impressed with it. Especially the drive down Main Street with the great older homes ans spacious yards..

We think Wendell is worth a look for sure..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 AM

635 posts, read 2,737,425 times
Being a resident of one of our local historic districts, I am always a big Sanford booster, but Sanford's population is around 30k, so I'm not sure if that would fit what you are looking for from a population standpoint.

But if that isn't a deal-breaker, I'd definitely give Sanford a chance.

Our location is nearly perfectly centered between Raleigh/Durham, Fayetteville, and Greensboro, and at 30k population we generally have everything anyone "needs" and anything one "wants" is only 30-40 minutes away in the larger cities.

We've got a great small town vibe, with the advantages of a mid-sized city, where the mayor probably knows you by name. Housing is inexpensive and in a small area we have everything from gated golf communities to rural farmland.

And specifically regarding older/historic homes, Sanford has three residential National Register Historic Districts(and are applying for a grant to survey a fourth) and our downtown National Register district as well. We always have a nice assortment of older and historic(meaning in this case, in a district) homes on the market of a variety of ages and styles.

In fact, here is one example that has historic roots for Sanford that is across the street from our home, and has a great double-lot:

Find a Home - Property Listing

If you would like some more information on Sanford, here are some links:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Specifically a link to our newly revamped and under development City of Sanford's Historic Preservation Dept:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

Maps of Sanford relative to the region:

Live Well Centered.

Good luck with your search!
Al

P.S.

If 30k is larger than you are looking for, I too would recommend checking out Hillsborough. It is a beautiful old town, great downtown area, and easy access to CH and surrounding. I love their "city hall", which is an old home on a wooded lot

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
I'm originally from NY and moved to Winston Salem, which has everything you could ever need. But its big and kind of cramped. I then moved to Mocksville, pop around 5000. CUTE CUTE CUTE, very nice and close to everthing. In a half hour you can get to Winston or a little over hour you can get to Charlotte. Its about 45 min to Greensboro airport. Theres a Walmart, Lowes Home Improvement, Walgreens, Food Lion right in town or so could travel small distance to anything else you might need. All in all its quite and historic distric.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 35,033 times
If you want a town that would remind you of the the town on " Gilmore Girls" try Gibsonville, just off the interstate beside Elon Unv Nice place ,great older homes well ketp, easy to get to local town of Burlington( Nice new Alamance Crossing MALL just as you get off the interstate) and then 25 mim to Greensboro 45 to Raleigh (RDU) We were in G-vill for 2 yr now on the other side of Burlington, Or look in to Graham counrty seat to Alamnce ! Clean little town ! Nice home and Nice people . Both will offer you large home Historia and or counrty feel with space and place for pet, Out side of Gibsonville is a new dog park well used and great frends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina