U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 35,041 times

Advertisements

Help if any one as a police/state trooper could help Mext month I will have 4 children 2( 5yr olds) and two (3 yr old.) I can put 3 car seat (two car seat one booster in my Large car.(back seat) My oldest grand son Is 51/2 and weight 60 lb and My question can he set in the front , with the seat all the way back I have side air bag ( should I have him in a booster or just in the lap/shoulder belt?) The way I read the state laws he can > I must drive with them for a few days so Please no rude remarks >
Again I drive a nice large sixe car and just wanted to know some fact or who I could call and speak to a person I have read all the stuff online <
Thanks for any postive advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
First thank you for trying to do the best thing, there was a very tragic accident near hear last week-end, where 5 UNBELTED children were riding in the back seat, 3 of them are dead, in addition to two adults, and no one was wearing a seat belt, even though one driver was due in court this week for a seat belt violation.

The 5 1/2 year old should be in a booster seat. The correct name for these seats is a "belt positioning seat" because it raises the child up so that the lapbelt goes across the child's hips, and not their abdomen (where it can cause internal injuries), and second that the shoulder strap crosses mid chest, and goes across their shoulder between the neck and the shoulder.

As a firefighter, I am a formally nationally certified Child Safety Seat Inspector. Talking with law enforcement that take the same course and tests, most are satisfied when the adult does the best they can with the number of children and the vehicle they have. The intolerance by all is the ones that have a flagrant disregard for the safety of children. Safe trip

Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM

314 posts, read 1,042,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savingtime View Post
I must drive with them for a few days so Please no rude remarks

Can't imagine why anyone would make rude remarks to you. I think you're wonderful for coming here to find *factual* information to keep these children safe.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:19 PM

983 posts, read 3,523,498 times
Any child under 8 years or 80 pounds must be in a booster seat, so the 5.5 yo has to be in one.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
First thank you for trying to do the best thing, there was a very tragic accident near hear last week-end, where 5 UNBELTED children were riding in the back seat, 3 of them are dead, in addition to two adults, and no one was wearing a seat belt, even though one driver was due in court this week for a seat belt violation.

The 5 1/2 year old should be in a booster seat. The correct name for these seats is a "belt positioning seat" because it raises the child up so that the lapbelt goes across the child's hips, and not their abdomen (where it can cause internal injuries), and second that the shoulder strap crosses mid chest, and goes across their shoulder between the neck and the shoulder.

As a firefighter, I am a formally nationally certified Child Safety Seat Inspector. Talking with law enforcement that take the same course and tests, most are satisfied when the adult does the best they can with the number of children and the vehicle they have. The intolerance by all is the ones that have a flagrant disregard for the safety of children. Safe trip
Off-topic: Was that one of the two horrific crashes just outside of Asheville last Friday (4/17) afternoon??? I was on my way back to Statesville from Knoxville on eastbound 40. I usually stop, but EMS/Fire already giving aid.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Off-topic: Was that one of the two horrific crashes just outside of Asheville last Friday (4/17) afternoon??? I was on my way back to Statesville from Knoxville on eastbound 40. I usually stop, but EMS/Fire already giving aid.
SUV from out of state towing a 30' trailer, which started to fishtail. Resulted in a roll over onto the guard rail killing a teenage boy in the SUV. The other wreck was in the backup from this one where a person was completely inattentive to their driving, and rear ended stopped traffic at 55 - 60 without braking.

People, put the damn cell phone down, put the seat belt on and drive, not just occupy the drivers seat.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Any child under 8 years or 80 pounds must be in a booster seat, so the 5.5 yo has to be in one.
Obviously the OP is trying to do their very best given the vehicle they have and the trips they must make.

Just quoting law is really no way to encourage anyone to follow it, "this is the law' obey or ........." a law is much more acceptable if the reasons behind it are explained, which has been done. Nor is quoting only one part of the law helpful

Quote:
Instances where it is legal, though not necessarily recommended, for a child to be in the front seat include:

* If the vehicle has no front passenger air bag.
* If the vehicle has a front passenger air bag that is turned off with an on/off switch.
* If the vehicle has no rear seat. Note however, it is legal to place a child in the front seat if the vehicle has no rear seat, but infants and children in rear facing child safety seats should NEVER ride in the front seat of a vehicle with an active passenger side air bag. The child will be seriously injured or killed if there is a crash and the air bag deploys.
* If the child is 5 years of age or older.
* If the child weighs 40 pounds or more.
buckleupnc.org

Old 04-26-2009, 03:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
SUV from out of state towing a 30' trailer, which started to fishtail. Resulted in a roll over onto the guard rail killing a teenage boy in the SUV. The other wreck was in the backup from this one where a person was completely inattentive to their driving, and rear ended stopped traffic at 55 - 60 without braking.

People, put the damn cell phone down, put the seat belt on and drive, not just occupy the drivers seat.
That's what I thought The car in the 2nd accident was nothing but a burned-out frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina