Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: cost of living, retirement, infrastructure, transplants, taxes, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy175 View Post
"The burden of the blame most definitely does not solely rest on the shoulders of developers. Believe me, I am not a fan of developers, but even I must recognize that there is enough blame to go around. All of these counties that are being ravaged by development have local permitting ordinances, planning departments, as well as city and town councils that are staffed by local residents, many of whom are long time members of their respective communities. It has always been within their power to promote or limit residential and commercial development as their local population sees fit. Any blame for their failure to do so lands squarely on their shoulders."

Bingo! Hit the nail on the head North Raleigh Guy. Local landowners and/or local politicians/officials provide the thrust for most development in the U.S. It's the rare place where a major, distant corporation happens to have owned zillions of acres of land for decades and then decides to sell or develop it (happened to parts of Florida).

If "they don't want it" it--development-- won't happen. Locals need to make their voices heard, form groups, press the pols/officials to say "enough already"!
Good post! I think that so many communitys have grown so fast that the locals probably did not pay attention to what was comming their way. Its going to take a lot of community involvment to say "enough is enough". I just read in the Charlotte Observer that Iredell County is considering tying a cap on future residential building permits on Brawley School Road because of the amount of traffic due to growth.
It went on to say how a group of residents pushed the commissioners to consider the cap.Although not passed yet at least they have city commissioners listening.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yeah, not having zoning in that county is a disaster! I am glad to hear you don't plan to exploit land in TN and KY. Hopefully future generations will share your feelings and resist the temptation to do so if and when that area sees the development boom come their way.

Keep fighting the good fight in Hendersonville! Too many folks complain about overdevelopment but don't get involved or just move away to another area that has not suffered the same fate yet.

We are not against all development. We are against unrestricted poorly planned development. There is a huge difference in the terrain here in the mountains vs. where you are and there is very little room for urban sprawl. The out of state developers care nothing about the beauty here.

It is a difficult "uphill battle" to get proper zoning in place with the collusion going on between the planning board and the commissioners, not to mention the con artist Mayor we elected. (He's out, guaranteed, at the next election.) They approve everything that comes before them with a "we'll handle it later" attitude. People are up in arms over here because it is affecting the county environmentally and financially. One town (Mills River) even incorporated to stave off the vultures.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Im really worried about the mountains of the state over any other area of the state. The coast can get developed all it wants but a good hurricane will take care of what it needs to in controlling that growth.

I think the days of standing on edge of overlook at night in the mountains admiring the dark sky with the stars just a shining are over with all the home and city lights obstructing the view.

You cant replace a mountain once it sides are bulldozed. I hope the locals fight strong and hard for our Carolina beauty. Maybe it time for another good mudslide to remind developers that Gods Country isnt for sale.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-06-2007 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
We are not against all development. We are against unrestricted poorly planned development. There is a huge difference in the terrain here in the mountains vs. where you are and there is very little room for urban sprawl. The out of state developers care nothing about the beauty here.

It is a difficult "uphill battle" to get proper zoning in place with the collusion going on between the planning board and the commissioners, not to mention the con artist Mayor we elected. (He's out, guaranteed, at the next election.) They approve everything that comes before them with a "we'll handle it later" attitude. People are up in arms over here because it is affecting the county environmentally and financially. One town (Mills River) even incorporated to stave off the vultures.
Although i may not always agree on all your posts, i totally see your viewpoint on this one
Keep fighting,someone has to!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Also Brian if it wasn't for us transplants Carolina would not have everything it has today. It would be a poor state. You do not complain that unemployment rates are lower near the cities? Or your favorite store is near by. It is so funny how the "locals" respond to people moving into "their" state. It is like WE are illegal immigrants. Yet you welcome the true Illegal immigrants with open arms.It is America and we have the right to live anywhere we want. You try living up north and deal with the cost of living. We do not want to have to move too far from our familes, but want to be able to LIVE comfortably. And not have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. So North Carolina has become that option for northerns. And soon it will cross over into South Carolina. Get used to it. Move to North Dakota or Arkansas...I can guarantee us transplants will not bother you there.
Thats funny, I dont care who ya are. Transplants are moving here to help poor NC, never saw that comming, and cant think of one benefit since im not a developer or realestate agent. Also all the illegals are here to build the low quality houses for the transplants, get rid of transplants lower illegals. And yes you can live any where but with your attitude try Newark they need your help not NC.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Also Brian if it wasn't for us transplants Carolina would not have everything it has today. It would be a poor state. You do not complain that unemployment rates are lower near the cities? Or your favorite store is near by. It is so funny how the "locals" respond to people moving into "their" state. It is like WE are illegal immigrants. Yet you welcome the true Illegal immigrants with open arms.It is America and we have the right to live anywhere we want. You try living up north and deal with the cost of living. We do not want to have to move too far from our familes, but want to be able to LIVE comfortably. And not have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. So North Carolina has become that option for northerns. And soon it will cross over into South Carolina. Get used to it. Move to North Dakota or Arkansas...I can guarantee us transplants will not bother you there.

Be careful, your arrogance will get you nowhere south of the Mason Dixon line. Maybe North Dakota or Montana .. not Arkansas either. You are confirming everything southerners dislike.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Be careful, your arrogance will get you nowhere south of the Mason Dixon line. Maybe North Dakota or Montana .. not Arkansas either. You are confirming everything southerners dislike.
But he is right...

A lot of these stores, restaurants, and jobs wouldn't exist if it weren't for companies and transplants relocating here.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Default att: Njrover0216

NC would be poor...now I have heard it all on this message board....

Please stop lashing out with pure nonsense, that is silly talk all the way around.
Now go see a doctor and I forgive you.

sheesh.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
I read an interesting article awhile back that said the largest contribution to the growth of the South was AIR CONDITIONING!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:10 PM

ROFLMAO ! these past few jokes were posts. Uh, I mean these last few posts were jokes !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina