U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

North Carolina: cost of living, retirement, infrastructure, transplants, taxes, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:43 PM
 
620 posts, read 1,423,305 times
Reputation: 245
I never said NC was a wasteland, but there are a lot more things to do and a lot more variety here than there used to be 17 years ago. Just because Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are growing, doesn't mean the WHOLE STATE is growing. There are so many small towns here and there always will be regardless of the growth (and that is not a bad thing). That is what makes places like NY so great - small towns, farms, big cities, mountains and the beach. You can have it all here too, just with warmer weather.

And by the way, I wasn't referring to you in that post I was referring to AOYAS.

 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:46 PM
 
620 posts, read 1,423,305 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Geez, it literally IS like talking to a wall. You're right, autumngal....young people who think they know everything are so annoying. This kid (nyxmike) sounds really intelligent.




Interesting....don't recall mentioning to you where I'm from. Guess you just think you know everything about me, like you apparently think you know everything about New Jersey, Charlotte, and Charlotte's economy, judging by your previous posts to this thread.

News for ya...I'm from Louisville. "Case you're not familiar...it's in KY. Last time I checked, KY was a southern state. One cannot participate in an intelligent, useful argument if one does not have his facts straight.
Actually you are the one who acts like they know everything, all the while bashing on northerners and you expect people to just sit back and listen to your bull?

I am from Westchester County, NY - a very beautiful place. And according to one of your previous posts, you mentioned you were coming from the Midwest (and yes I know where Louisville is - I am well aware that NY is not the center of the universe).
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 980,603 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I never said NC was a wasteland, but there are a lot more things to do and a lot more variety here than there used to be 17 years ago. Just because Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are growing, doesn't mean the WHOLE STATE is growing. There are so many small towns here and there always will be regardless of the growth (and that is not a bad thing). That is what makes places like NY so great - small towns, farms, big cities, mountains and the beach. You can have it all here too, just with warmer weather.

And by the way, I wasn't referring to you in that post I was referring to AOYAS.
Fact of the matter is, you seem to think that Noth Carolinans WANT to "have it all" and have their home state/cities turned into New York Lite, which THEY DON'T. Otherwise, they wouldn't live in NC...they'd move to New York! You can't seem to grasp that, no matter how many people explain it to you, and no matter how many different ways it's explained.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
 
473 posts, read 1,544,767 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I never said NC was a wasteland, but there are a lot more things to do and a lot more variety here than there used to be 17 years ago. Just because Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are growing, doesn't mean the WHOLE STATE is growing. There are so many small towns here and there always will be regardless of the growth (and that is not a bad thing). That is what makes places like NY so great - small towns, farms, big cities, mountains and the beach. You can have it all here too, just with warmer weather.

And by the way, I wasn't referring to you in that post I was referring to AOYAS.

Guess when I was 22 years of age, I may have known everything too. You have no clue what you're talking about, and no education on the history of the area or its culture. Time for a reality adjustment I'd say. Reality check time. Ding !
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
 
620 posts, read 1,423,305 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
(Parts of) North Carolina are filled up.

I traveled 20 miles from Denver to Mooresville city limits yesterday and it took me an hour! Now granted it was 5pm. When I approached Mooresville it was a parking lot. Hwy 150 was stopped. As I crawled through traffic I got up to the bridge on Hwy 150 in Mooresville over the interstate (I will leave the interstate part to everyones imagination). I got the view of people getting off the interstate from the south bound lanes of I-77. Then it kinda struck me, everyones plate, about 75% were out of state. Many had luggage racks on the top of vehicles as people poured into Mooresville by the SUV load. It seemed to me that there was a mass evacuation from up north and NC was the only safe place left.

I dont fault Americans moving to whatever state they choose for any reasons, but the whole sitaution seemed to have some humor to it.


Which brings up the issue of traffic. The lake norman area has had the population increase by the 10s of thousands over the past years, NO additional roads, just two lane country roads that have been here for years. Sometimes developers are so generous as to add a right turn lane to their developments or a center lane, thats it.

I plan my days if possible to stay off the roads at certain times just to avoid the traffic nightmares.

I am no pessimist by any means, but I am a realist. If I thought the Charlotte and especially Mooresville areas handled their planning better and added some more infrastructure, I would say so, but they dont and the overcrowding is a quality of life issue here.
You can blame that not only on Charlotte and Mooresville approving thousands of housing permits all the time, but on NCDOT as well. You want to talk about a waste of tax money? The urban areas of this state pay the most money in gas taxes but don't even get half of that money back in road construction.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
 
4,609 posts, read 5,157,955 times
Reputation: 5113
Default keep it clean...

Stop trying to use the "trump" cards, ya know the part where you say "We" hate northeners, that's getting old, and besides it is not true.

Oh yes, we should pass out the fact book, good idea.

Thank you Carolina Native for putting us back on topic. Was hitting my head against the brick wall there for a while.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 980,603 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Actually you are the one who acts like they know everything, all the while bashing on northerners and you expect people to just sit back and listen to your bull?

I am from Westchester County, NY - a very beautiful place. And according to one of your previous posts, you mentioned you were coming from the Midwest (and yes I know where Louisville is - I am well aware that NY is not the center of the universe).
I said I was originally from Louisville...I didn't say I live there now.

Look, let's just agree to disagree. Your not going to change your mind and I'm not going to change mine. This whole argument is kind of pointless, in that respect.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
 
620 posts, read 1,423,305 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Fact of the matter is, you seem to think that Noth Carolinans WANT to "have it all" and have their home state/cities turned into New York Lite, which THEY DON'T. Otherwise, they wouldn't live in NC...they'd move to New York! You can't seem to grasp that, no matter how many people explain it to you, and no matter how many different ways it's explained.
What I don't understand is what is so wrong with having one or two big cities in this state? I know people born and raised in the South and they just happen to be city people - is there something wrong with that? Maybe they don't want to move to NY - maybe they want to live in Charlotte and be a part of it's growth and watch it turn into a vibrant, exciting place to live. If anything, your just as thickheaded as I am!!!
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:56 PM
 
620 posts, read 1,423,305 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Guess when I was 22 years of age, I may have known everything too. You have no clue what you're talking about, and no education on the history of the area or its culture. Time for a reality adjustment I'd say. Reality check time. Ding !
Don't tell me I need a reality check. I can guarantee I know more about what I am talking about than you do. Thank God people like you and AOYAS are the minority. If I had to encounter people like you both everyday here I would hang myself.
 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 980,603 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Don't tell me I need a reality check. I can guarantee I know more about what I am talking about than you do.
Ha ha ha....really? You can guarantee her? Can you sell her the Brooklyn Bridge, too?

Ok, I'm done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top