Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM

91 posts, read 189,372 times

Advertisements

Okay, here is what I'd like to do in the future. When this economy gets straightened out, my husband and I will move to some area of NC that has some tourist traffic but is still out in the country. A farm of about 5-10 acres that isn't so far off the main roads that no one would go to it. The farm would have a nice barn, lots of blooming trees and things for my bee to make honey on, some land for my sheep to graze, a 3 bedroom home with a basement. We want to open an herb and produce farm, sell honey and eggs, etc. Being near a town that has farmer's markets and well-kept shops would be wonderful. A town we could be proud of!

For awhile, my husband and I will still need to work. I'm an RN and would prefer a smaller community hospital, and my husband works in IT. Living about a half hour or 40 minute's drive from jobs would be good. I know right now NC is experiencing a downturn in jobs, but I'm looking at 4 years or so in the future.

We also have two children who will still be in school, and nice schools would be wonderful.

Okay, NOW that we've asked for the world, anyone have any places in mind? I love the country life, but don't want to be so far out in the sticks that no one would come and buy my honey and herbs. We'd like to have an attractive town nearby that tourists come to. Maybe one day, if there was enough traffic, we could open a small shop in that town.

Yeah, well....a person can ask, right?? I am a believer in possibilities, and what's the harm in asking.

Thanks everyone, love this website!
Cara

Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Default The more things change..

The more changes things see..

May have to wait until that future gets here. The way things have been and could be again it might be harder to find such a spot in the unspecified future.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
West or NW of Winston Salem.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Hillsborough, Efland, Mebane. These are outside of Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM

201 posts, read 593,967 times
I suggest you visit NC over the next 4 years when you can. Visit the western, eastern and middle of state.

There are a few areas that would give you what you are looking for.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Lightbulb You might consider Sanford

Sanford may be a good fit for you based on your description.

Sanford is almost equidistant from Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Fayetteville 30-40 minutes away and centrally located in the state, so trips to the mountains or beach are an approximately equal ~3 hours.

At 30k population, Sanford is a mid-sized city/town so has just about everything you "need", and within a short to drive to the larger cities, convenient to everything you might "want"

We've got a great small town vibe, where the mayor probably knows you by name, and city council and staff actually return your calls and emails personally. But we've also got a lot going on with development and investment such as the new Cracker Barrel restaurant going in this September and downtown revitalization.

Housing is very affordable, and Sanford has everything from downtown historic districts, golf communities, to rural farmland.... all within 10 minutes of each other. So there really is a little of something for everyone, but not built out like a "mega-lopolis"

If you are in the area, come check out our historic downtown and surrounding community.

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Good luck with your search!
Al

Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
Sanford may be a good fit for you based on your description.

Sanford is almost equidistant from Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Fayetteville 30-40 minutes away and centrally located in the state, so trips to the mountains or beach are an approximately equal ~3 hours.

At 30k population, Sanford is a mid-sized city/town so has just about everything you "need", and within a short to drive to the larger cities, convenient to everything you might "want"

We've got a great small town vibe, where the mayor probably knows you by name, and city council and staff actually return your calls and emails personally. But we've also got a lot going on with development and investment such as the new Cracker Barrel restaurant going in this September and downtown revitalization.

Housing is very affordable, and Sanford has everything from downtown historic districts, golf communities, to rural farmland.... all within 10 minutes of each other. So there really is a little of something for everyone, but not built out like a "mega-lopolis"

If you are in the area, come check out our historic downtown and surrounding community.

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Good luck with your search!
Al

Al, based on your posts alone I want to visit Sanford

That is the one corner of the state I am least familiar with and therefore I always read your posts with great interest! Thanks for posting such great info for all of us

Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Dream...reposting in better spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina