U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 AM

217 posts, read 604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I have noticed the "Miss Helen" thing. Question for you (I"m not from NC): do people from NC not teach to call someone Mrs. Jones rather than Miss Helen? I find "Miss Helen" to feel very informal--more informal than I like. I insist my children call people "Mr and Mrs. Jones" but I seem to be the only one who does! Insight??
I call people older than me Mr or Mrs. Jones. Unless a co worker we just go by first names.
At work I call the pateints my the last name then normal they tell me just to call them by their first name.

My husband is from Poland and an elder you know formaly you call Mrs Jones but an informal elder likea co worker it would be Miss SUe. My mil has a friend of tewenty years that still calls her Miss Maries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM

217 posts, read 604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good question

Miss Jones is taught for situations when there is no "intimate" relationship - Miss Helen would be what your child calls one of your friends or the next door neighbor your child sees on a daily basis, that kind of thing.
That is exactly how Polsih culture works too.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM

2,357 posts, read 180,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Can you native NC'ians, or those who have lived here long enough, describe to us newcomers what, exactly is it about the NC culture that you (some of you) are so afraid we'll change?

What do you like so much about the NC culture that you don't want to lose or give up?
Just a few come to mind that I think I'll miss (or already do):
-Driving a car without someone riding my tail.
-Seeing small, modest beachfront houses - where people live there year-round
-Strangers who make eye contact and smile, as you pass them.
-People who let you over in traffic
-People who, rather than cutting you off in traffic, instead just slow down and merge behind you.
-Neighbors who invite you to church, even if you don't want to go.
-Hearing phrases like, "I suwanee.." and "Well I declare.."

I've noticed that newcomers frequently don't trust me. I'll say or do something that's perfectly normal and friendly, and I'll get shot a look like: "Don't try that on me!" - like I'm trying to take advantage of them or something. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by anonymous; 04-05-2007 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM

10,163 posts, read 10,297,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Just a few come to mind that I think I'll miss (or already do):
-Driving a car without someone riding my tail.
-Seeing small, modest beachfront houses - where people live there year-round
-Strangers who make eye contact and smile, as you pass them.
-People who let you over in traffic
-People who, rather than cutting you off in traffic, instead just slow down and merge behind you.
-Neighbors who invite you to church, even if you don't want to go.
-Hearing phrases like, "I suwanee.." and "Well I declare.."

I've noticed that newcomers frequently don't trust me. I'll say or do something that's perfectly normal and friendly, and I'll get shot a look like: "Don't try that on me!" - like I'm trying to take advantage of them or something. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
I like your list!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 25,843 times
Default NC Culture

I would also add the slower pace of life here. Over and over on this forum people thinking about moving here say that's what they are after. But, I find that once people get here to the smaller communities, they complain about not being close to symphonies, museums, nightlife, Starbucks etc like they were used to in their bustling metropolis. Or being right around the corner from shopping,food,etc. And so they start bringing stuff in and speeding up formerly rural, slow pace communities. You have to admit, along with all these new housing developments has to come more stuff to support the people who live there. So, a formerly rural area will now be loaded with housing developments, grocery store, drug store, video store, coffee shop,etc. We are more than willing to drive an extra 15 minutes to go grocery shopping if it means we can keep our area more rural and pastoral. That's what we mean by changing things. By all means ya'll come on down, but please don't turn us into New York Lite

Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM

44,015 posts, read 53,989,860 times
Thought of another...this used to be a very faith-filled, religious state. Personally, I don't care which religion you belong to, or if you attend a church service every week. But the amount of people moving here with atheist beliefs makes me very sad.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

360 posts, read 974,838 times
Quote:
Thought of another...this used to be a very faith-filled, religious state. Personally, I don't care which religion you belong to, or if you attend a church service every week. But the amount of people moving here with atheist beliefs makes me very sad.
Hi Loves!

You shouldn't be sad about that. Ahteists and agnostics are generally very nice, educated people. In fact, A LOT of our forefathers, famous writers, inventors, scientists, and celebrities are agnostic or atheist. I know many people who are of these two "religious (or non-religious) affiliations" and they are just as (if not more so) pleasant, hard-working, and outgoing as those who do believe in some sort of deity. They shouldn't make you sad one bit!

Maybe you should try to meet some people who are agnostic or atheist, so you can see what I mean?? I think a lot of people automatically think "anarchist" when they think of an atheist, so it gives an overall bad impression....though the two are completely different things. I see what you mean, when you say that you wish your community was more religious and close-knit, like it was back-when. But times are changing. When more and more people relocate to Charlotte from different parts of the country (and world), they will bring with them, many different religions and belief systems. Better to embrace these religious differences, and possibly learn what you can about the religions you're not too familiar with, no? Maybe that would make you feel better about the whole thing??

Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 PM

473 posts, read 1,530,502 times
Not necessarily in order:

• FAMILY VALUES
  • RESPECT FOR OTHERS
  • NO FOUL LANGUAGE
  • NO 'ME FIRST' ATTITUDES
  • RELIGION
  • THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM

44,015 posts, read 53,989,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Hi Loves!

You shouldn't be sad about that. Ahteists and agnostics are generally very nice, educated people. In fact, A LOT of our forefathers, famous writers, inventors, scientists, and celebrities are agnostic or atheist. I know many people who are of these two "religious (or non-religious) affiliations" and they are just as (if not more so) pleasant, hard-working, and outgoing as those who do believe in some sort of deity. They shouldn't make you sad one bit!

Maybe you should try to meet some people who are agnostic or atheist, so you can see what I mean?? I think a lot of people automatically think "anarchist" when they think of an atheist, so it gives an overall bad impression....though the two are completely different things. I see what you mean, when you say that you wish your community was more religious and close-knit, like it was back-when. But times are changing. When more and more people relocate to Charlotte from different parts of the country (and world), they will bring with them, many different religions and belief systems. Better to embrace these religious differences, and possibly learn what you can about the religions you're not too familiar with, no? Maybe that would make you feel better about the whole thing??

HI AOYAS - oh, I know atheists and agnostics aren't bad people, or followers of the antichrist I actually have a very good friend who is an atheist, AND one of the nicest people you'll ever meet I also know what you said about our forefathers is indeed true.

Bringing God into any conversation is a lighting rod for some and I am not trying to spark any controversy. It is just my personal belief that when the city was made up of a larger percentage of those with a relationship with God this was a more caring community. NOT that atheists can't be caring people - it's just that in my personel experience those with God in their lives seem to go the extra mile more frequently for their fellow man. The poster who started this thread wanted to know what we southerners are concerned about losing in our local culture with so many moving here from all over the world. Just being honest here, no offense intended, this is a big one.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM

360 posts, read 974,838 times
Quote:
HI AOYAS - oh, I know atheists and agnostics aren't bad people, or followers of the antichrist I actually have a very good friend who is an atheist, AND one of the nicest people you'll ever meet I also know what you said about our forefathers is indeed true.

Bringing God into any conversation is a lighting rod for some and I am not trying to spark any controversy. It is just my personal belief that when the city was made up of a larger percentage of those with a relationship with God this was a more caring community. NOT that atheists can't be caring people - it's just that in my personel experience those with God in their lives seem to go the extra mile more frequently for their fellow man. The poster who started this thread wanted to know what we southerners are concerned about losing in our local culture with so many moving here from all over the world. Just being honest here, no offense intended, this is a big one.
I appreciate your views, and there is no, and never was any, offense taken, on my part, to your comments. Just thought I'd share my two cents. I don't want to get into a religious debate either...nothing good ever comes from those, it seems! I know from other threads that you seem to be an open-minded individual, so I knew you'd probably appreciate my viewpoint, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina