Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Eaasssy now! Don't go calling Southerners ignorant just because we teach our kids to say sir or ma'am. We have to respect each regions unique culture. That's what makes the corners of American charming and different. If we all moved to areas we thought were charming and tried to impose our will on the locals, pretty soon we'd have every little town doing everything about the same way all across the country. It would be one big homogenized, politically-correct mess. And then who would we pick on?
?!?!?!
Yes, Easy Now!
I have noticed that even when I am among groups of transplants, their kids call women, "Miss Sue" or "Miss Patty" or whatever, with no prompting from the natives.
Perhaps this is a reflection of the company I keep?
Or perhaps, instead of just coming here & trampling the culture,
many of us are relieved to be able to have our desire to be respected by children affirmed by the culture, & we have embraced the culture.

Back in NY I liked to be called "Mrs. NYer" but, that was seen as stuffy so I had to endure toddlers calling me by my 1st name!
Being called "Miss NYer" is a welcome compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vica6678 View Post
I am sad that you categorize all New Yorkers equally. I am looking to relocate to NC from NY so that my kids will learn the great southern atmosphere and respect. While I do agree that your opinion is reality in many areas of the north, I feel that you should give other northerners the benefit of doubt. We do not choose what atmosphere to be born or raised in. However, it's up to each individual to change it for their children's well-being.

That's true not all people from NY are like the people on that New York forum. Argh!! I got a headache just reading some of those Long Island posters and how dis-respecful they are to South and it's culture. Seems the ones that want to break away do and the ones that will never change can't wait to get back to it

I ran into someone from LI at the nail place the other day and recognized the accent, I asked her where she was from in NY and she looked at me like I was a dirt and said Long Island. Her eyes looked me over and then she looked down and away. I didn't think I looked that bad. She was in a sweatsuit and a baseball cap I don't know why she was looking at me weird.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
I really think everyone needs to get a map out and really look at NY. NYC and Long Island are just a small piece to the puzzle. NYC and Long Island residents do not reflect the STATE OF NEW YORK. I grew up on Lake Ontario, about 30 minutes from Canada. So please when talking about NYer's, please remember that NY is a HUGE state and most of it is country, hills, moutains, lakes, etc. and when people in this thread discuss the moutains and scenary. Nothing I have seen in NC is as beautiful as the Adirondack Mountains. If you are ever up for a trip, go visit Lake Placid or Saranac Lake, it is gorgeous up there. I believe a lot of the transplants that are coming to NC are leaving the northern "cities" and their suburbs:Boston, NYC/NJ, Philly,Baltimore and DC due to the higher cost of living. I just hate that all northerners are labeled because of people not looking at the north as a whole!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I really think everyone needs to get a map out and really look at NY. NYC and Long Island are just a small piece to the puzzle. NYC and Long Island residents do not reflect the STATE OF NEW YORK. I grew up on Lake Ontario, about 30 minutes from Canada. So please when talking about NYer's, please remember that NY is a HUGE state and most of it is country, hills, moutains, lakes, etc. and when people in this thread discuss the moutains and scenary. Nothing I have seen in NC is as beautiful as the Adirondack Mountains. If you are ever up for a trip, go visit Lake Placid or Saranac Lake, it is gorgeous up there. I believe a lot of the transplants that are coming to NC are leaving the northern "cities" and their suburbs:Boston, NYC/NJ, Philly,Baltimore and DC due to the higher cost of living. I just hate that all northerners are labeled because of people not looking at the north as a whole!

I personally wasn't referring to people only in Long Island or NYC, I know many snoots upstate too. My brother in-law is from Buffalo and when he comes to the south he mouths off to everyone. I myself moved west with my own NY attitude and lost it along time ago.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,091 times
Default We're Coming to Change...... NOTHING !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabelle30 View Post
I am a native NC'ian by way of ancestors settling here in the late 1700's. I was born here and intend to stay here, but I do see unsettling changes. The most disturbing is the unsightly development of pretty mountains, and the second is the outpricing of all property here. Many natives inherit land, but those who don't cannot afford to buy! The average wage here could never purchase $100,000 lots and $200,000 homes! This is not due to one person moving into Henderson County, so don't take it personally, please. We've always been a destination for retirees, who flocked to the oasis of the retirement villages and assisted living centers. Their migration was usually in pods, in close groups, with the exception of a few sprawled communities built on inappropriate sites. Now, the next generation of move ins are young baby boomers and 30/40 somethings discovering that they can bulldoze out a site on the very precipice of a slope and build a mini Biltmore Estate! The costs are phenomonal- where do they get their money? Our pretty views and affordable lands are gone by the wayside. In the end we'll look like and cst the same as New Jersey. That's what I don't want to gain by people discovering us.
Dear lisabelle30,
My wife ,me and our dog are coming soon. Last fall we purchased a pre-existing home with a nice chunk of land in Stokes County. No Bulldozers will be allowed. This pristine property is going to remain just that. We are coming from Connecticut. No replications allowed !!!!!! That is the last thing that we want. New Jersey ? Good Lord, how I avoid that state. I will be retiring from a job with the Department of Correction/Parole Division......We certainly aren't rich but are still young enough to enjoy the beauty of the land and people of North Carolina. Sign us up to defend the integrity of North Carolina.We will ID the "Carpetbaggers" and run them out !!! We seek to blend. :

Old 05-10-2007, 04:47 AM

5 posts, read 22,085 times
I keep reading about how friendly everyone is, but then i read posts that slam me from being from the north so I am really unsure of what to expect when my family moves from Mass to Wake Forest in the near future. I am not coming to take away anyone's culture and i am still hopeful that my culture will be respected.while reading these threads one starts to feel as if N.C. is a private state.I live in a resort town in MA and owned a store for several years,when people from other states came (including North Carolina) and asked really stupid questions over and over I smiled and helped the best i could i didn't slam them for not knowing how to eat a lobster the correct way.So please understand my family is not intending to take anything away from your history or culture. We are not moving there to judge or change your lifestyle we are just looking for a nice place to live.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle151 View Post
I keep reading about how friendly everyone is, but then i read posts that slam me from being from the north so I am really unsure of what to expect when my family moves from Mass to Wake Forest in the near future. I am not coming to take away anyone's culture and i am still hopeful that my culture will be respected.while reading these threads one starts to feel as if N.C. is a private state.I live in a resort town in MA and owned a store for several years,when people from other states came (including North Carolina) and asked really stupid questions over and over I smiled and helped the best i could i didn't slam them for not knowing how to eat a lobster the correct way.So please understand my family is not intending to take anything away from your history or culture. We are not moving there to judge or change your lifestyle we are just looking for a nice place to live.
Don't take the posts to seriously. There have been a few people who's sole purpose is to create an air of discouragement. A handful have attempted to create aliases to further their point.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM

214 posts, read 663,863 times
Noelle,

All in all everyone is friendly. There are a few that are resistant to change and they can be rude, but the vast majority will welcome you unconditionally provided you follow a few ground rules.

Don't move to NC and then immediately tell us how things were better back home. Don't tell us things were better in NY simply because it was NY (I'm only singling out NY because it is the single most recognizable city in the world). Saying "this might work better this way" comes across a lot better than "that's not how we did it back home."

The second statement is usually followed by "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle151 View Post
I moved from Ohio (also in a tourist town) to Wake Forest 4 years ago....just don't tell us how great your old town was and you'll do okay. Really....it's only the folks that can't get over where they are from that get issues.

I am not even from here and I get tired of jhearing how great CA or NY, NJ is. If it's so bloody great, why is everyone moving? This is to say you have to bad mouth your old home (I admit, I do miss some things about the Lake Erie Islands), but just embrase what NC is...not that it isn't like your former area.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 PM

21 posts, read 71,569 times
We may be moving to Charlotte next year, from New Zealand, and from reading on here it sounds like a nice place. I could do with a place with nice manners and friendly people. My husband is Hispanic and speaks english with a kiwi/british accent. Do you think he will have any problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina