Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Can you native NC'ians, or those who have lived here long enough, describe to us newcomers what, exactly is it about the NC culture that you (some of you) are so afraid we'll change?

What do you like so much about the NC culture that you don't want to lose or give up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Can you native NC'ians, or those who have lived here long enough, describe to us newcomers what, exactly is it about the NC culture that you (some of you) are so afraid we'll change?

What do you like so much about the NC culture that you don't want to lose or give up?
Well, just for starters...

Our children having manners and knowing to say "yes sir, yes ma'm" when answering an adult.

NOT having our children start calling their elders by their first name. Any adult older than me is still "Miss Helen" or "Mr. Bob".

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
I have noticed the "Miss Helen" thing. Question for you (I"m not from NC): do people from NC not teach to call someone Mrs. Jones rather than Miss Helen? I find "Miss Helen" to feel very informal--more informal than I like. I insist my children call people "Mr and Mrs. Jones" but I seem to be the only one who does! Insight??

Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I enjoy knowing my neighbors.

I like pets and kids are able roam free in the neighborhoods.

I like going into stores and they always say hello and offer to assist just
because they are friendly and caring. Some of them know you by name
and chat with you about their life.

I enjoy watching people riding their ATV's across the hillside.

I enjoy going to the mountains to waterfalls that do not have barricades
and you can stand at the edge to enjoy carolina mountain beauty.

I enjoy going to National Park refuge area of the outer banks and appreciate
that they do not allow commercial development on this land.

I enjoy going to a restaurant that knows how to make good Sweet Tea.

I find it harder to find places that carry Cheerwine.

A good carolina BBQ sandwich and hot dog is served with Red Slaw and potatoe salad is made with mustard.

I enjoy listening to the difference in dialect between eastern
and western carolina

I enjoy riding on some state roads that have some crazy curves and are
narrow but it makes a fun driving trip thru the country side

Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
All the four-year-olds in my son's preschool class call the teacher "Ms. Jenny." It's more formal without being too stuffy. The teacher prefers it.

Another thing along with kids' manners is adults' manners. It's OK to have to wait a minute, or to have someone accidentally fill your order wrong. It happens. I think natives tend to be more understanding about delays and errors, and deal with it in a more polite manner. It's also OK to say "hi" and "excuse me" when the situation dictates. It's also OK to make small talk with a complete stranger.

Locals are also very concerned about smaller stores, coffee shops, etc going out of business. A Target/Wal-Mart/Lowe's/Starbucks/McDonalds on every block is just not a good thing. Try to frequent the smaller places, and not demand big-boxes in every strip mall.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I have noticed the "Miss Helen" thing. Question for you (I"m not from NC): do people from NC not teach to call someone Mrs. Jones rather than Miss Helen? I find "Miss Helen" to feel very informal--more informal than I like. I insist my children call people "Mr and Mrs. Jones" but I seem to be the only one who does! Insight??
Good question

Miss Jones is taught for situations when there is no "intimate" relationship - Miss Helen would be what your child calls one of your friends or the next door neighbor your child sees on a daily basis, that kind of thing.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

\

Manners and common courtesy.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I enjoy knowing my neighbors.

>I like pets and kids are able roam free in the neighborhoods.
Sorry. Kids roaming the neighborhood are OK. Pets no!!

> I find it harder to find places that carry Cheerwine.
What is this?

>I enjoy listening to the difference in dialect between eastern
and western carolina
I've yet to experience that. Will have to head west soon.

>I enjoy riding on some state roads that have some crazy curves and are
narrow but it makes a fun driving trip thru the country side
Yep. Lots of fun when they come flying down the hill opposite direction, half way over the double yellow line and you have no place to go - really low shoulder on the road and a ditch immediately next to that. I nearly lost control on Rogers Rd. that way. Tire dropped off the shoulder at least 8 inches. And what's with 55mph limit on a road like Rogers? That's nuts. I never go more than 45 and that seems too fast for that road. Sorry. I digress.

I DO like a leisurely drive through the countryside!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
You ask what Cheerwine is it a soft drink similar to a cherry soda but in my opinion better (caffine free)

Some other items I find harder to find lately is a good local restaurant that serves southern food. For instance Country Fried steak with White gravy, green beans, collards, and corn bread.

Not to many places serve Apple butter or fried apples.

I love visiting Lexington they still have restaurants that you drive to the door and honk your horn for service. I love the BBQ restaurant prices a pound of BBQ, pint of slaw, a doze buns for only 10 bucks.
Lexington also still have a little grocery store uptown that makes the best pimentto cheese to take home.

I remember the day when you knew someone who either work in a furniture factory or textile and they always got off work at 3:30 or 4:30 so you avoided those areas when the plant release them from work.

I miss the days of relatives who will stop by unannounce but had buckets of corn, tomatoes, green beans or potatoes.

I just had breakfast lol I dont know why I keep thinking of food hehe

Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You ask what Cheerwine is it a soft drink similar to a cherry soda but in my opinion better (caffine free)
Whoo-hoo...I am drinking my Diet Cheerwine now! Coming from out west originally, I had not tried Cheerwine. Now, I drink it all the time. If I ever move one of you will have to ship some to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina