Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
People are people. Some think they live in the best place while others say they do. Its up to you and your family where YOU think it is best.
Guess it's good to think you live in a great place, then we can all be happy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I've got to say though. Eventhough they cause a lot of damage and really paralize the area they hit; Icestorms are beautiful. The way the trees are bent and everything sparkles and looks like it's standing still like in a picture. It's not as eerie as you'd espect.
Yes, gorgeous to look at from Inside the house with a mug of hot cocoa in hand !!!!
Usually the sky is a brilliant blue after those storms, and the almost-blinding sun makes it look like diamonds are encrusting everything.
And when the wind blows in the branches it sounds like the tinkling of bells.
I will admit I will miss that.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
You won't miss it if you're moving to NC. They get more icestorms here than in the north. It's that centarl location thing. Usually whe a nor'easter develops, the snow falls north of here, it rains south of here, and it ices here.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
You won't miss it if you're moving to NC. They get more icestorms here than in the north. It's that centarl location thing. Usually whe a nor'easter develops, the snow falls north of here, it rains south of here, and it ices here.
I think the kids will miss the 6 hour drive to skiing. I understand that NC skiing is underwhelming. My husband & I do not ski- my parents take them, once or twice aseason- maybe they will have to spring for a flight to ski country!

Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Yeah, the NC skiing leaves much to be desired if you've ever been to the Adirondacks in NY or the Green and White mountains in Vermont/NH. The appalaichans/smokies are best to visit in Fall and late spring.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
WV is not to far of a drive. Its not that bad skiing either. The NC mountains however are terrible for it.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:36 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent
WV is not to far of a drive. Its not that bad skiing either. The NC mountains however are terrible for it.
Yeah, I don't know if I believe in Global Warming or not, but that area has had some bad seasons lately. Just too warm to keep good snow. I used to live on one of the main routes from SC to the NC ski resorts. Saw lots of ski rental places close up.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 25,600 times
who cares what people from NY have to say about Asheville--jerks are everyone--and the North has no shortage of them.

They have nothing else to do other than complain--if I lived there--I would complain to.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky2303 View Post
who cares what people from NY have to say about Asheville--jerks are everyone--and the North has no shortage of them.

They have nothing else to do other than complain--if I lived there--I would complain to.
Couldn't have said it better myself! sweeet!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I've got to say though. Eventhough they cause a lot of damage and really paralize the area they hit; Icestorms are beautiful. The way the trees are bent and everything sparkles and looks like it's standing still like in a picture. It's not as eerie as you'd espect.
Yes they are gorgeous but it's a dble edged sword: the prettier the aftermath, the more end result damage as that means the coating of ice is thick. And the only errie thing about them (we had a doosy in March 1991) was that sickening sound of snapping tree limbs throughout the entire night only to find at daylight our woods behind our home totally descimated.....saddest was theloss of the cherry trees, which I understand are shallow rooted. They were split to shreds and not one was spared. The scent of them billowing through the house in the spring was heavenly and in one night......gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina