Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times

Advertisements

Well, the problem is that every time I tell my husband that we are not close enough to the beach or the mountains (we had both in LA) he looks at me funny and says, "Um, you didn't go to the beach that much when we lived there!"

Now, this is true. I went about once a month or so, but honestly, it was just nice to know it was THERE. And I certain drove by it more than I actually stopped and "went" to the beach.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Yeah I agree, I sure wish they wouldn't come here to complain.

Yep my thoughts on Phx too, not close enough to the beach and I'm still not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,535 times
Can you please catch me up on some things? What happened and when did it happen to start all this mess between NY and NC? Why are NY'ers drawn to NC over all the other available states? Was that Cary ranking that appealing? Why on our last NC visit did we sound more southern than the people we encountered? We are from a southern state, and we sure expected to hear familiar accents. Said "Ma'am" to a waitress, and she looked shocked. She even asked where we were from! From the outside looking in, this NC becoming Little New York seems bizarre. We're from a big college town, so we have international and intranational transplants all the time, but I've never heard of such a take-over. Did Ny'ers send out a memo or something?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Can you please catch me up on some things? What happened and when did it happen to start all this mess between NY and NC? Why are NY'ers drawn to NC over all the other available states? Was that Cary ranking that appealing? Why on our last NC visit did we sound more southern than the people we encountered? We are from a southern state, and we sure expected to hear familiar accents. Said "Ma'am" to a waitress, and she looked shocked. She even asked where we were from! From the outside looking in, this NC becoming Little New York seems bizarre. We're from a big college town, so we have international and intranational transplants all the time, but I've never heard of such a take-over. Did Ny'ers send out a memo or something?
There have been no memos and it's not a planned take over. Moderator cut: insult/personal
Many jobs have moved down here from Northern states (NC is a 'right to work state', unions aren't as powerful, has lower taxes then many, better climate, lower CoL and CoB, ....that brings growth, and growth brings people looking for jobs.

It's economics more then anything.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,535 times
Moderator cut: post you were quoting/replying to has been edited

SOOO many of the NC posts make it sound like NC is being taken over, and I really do want to know what inspires so many NY'ers to move to NC over other states. Was there a round of NC advertising, specific companies moving from NY to NC, what? Thanks for the rest of your post -- that part was helpful.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
There have been no memos and it's not a planned take over. Moderator cut: insult/personal
Many jobs have moved down here from Northern states (NC is a 'right to work state', unions aren't as powerful, has lower taxes then many, better climate, lower CoL and CoB, ....that brings growth, and growth brings people looking for jobs.

It's economics more then anything.
Not many jobs are coming from the northeast, the state has been giving incentives to try to get corps to come here like Dell from Texas(there is a lawsuit on that) and Honda, Charlotte is mainly banking,Alot of people coming with out jobs and finding them hard to come by. Chain stores popping up every where bring iffy job numbers but Walmart greeters and Burger flippers are available about 8 bucks an hour. Main reason North easters think its cheaper here, live off NJ home sale for a year and then get in trouble. Say taxes cheaper( until next year when wake county goes up 32%) facts lots of growth problems schools are in trouble, they est 20 million acres of farm land lost by 2012. State wants to buy land to protect but wont spend the money, Future looks alittle dim until they control the growth. I think most people from the NE are scared they will be stuck up there so they are cashing out on the housing bubble and just running.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 PM

59 posts, read 203,902 times
Quote:
Alot of people coming with out jobs and finding them hard to come by.
This is actually pretty true. I work in DSS in the Triangle, and we have all walks of life coming through our office. People need help because they just moved here (mostly from the NE) and they'd heard it was easy to find a job. While jobs are here, a lot of them are the lower-wage jobs, making it tough to pay the bills. Higher-skilled folks aren't having as much of a problem with jobs, but I URGE people - PLEASE don't move ANYwhere unless you have a job secure. Some people can wing it, but I'm meeting more and more who can't.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Not many jobs are coming from the northeast, the state has been giving incentives to try to get corps to come here like Dell from Texas(there is a lawsuit on that) and Honda, Charlotte is mainly banking,Alot of people coming with out jobs and finding them hard to come by. Chain stores popping up every where bring iffy job numbers but Walmart greeters and Burger flippers are available about 8 bucks an hour. Main reason North easters think its cheaper here, live off NJ home sale for a year and then get in trouble. Say taxes cheaper( until next year when wake county goes up 32%) facts lots of growth problems schools are in trouble, they est 20 million acres of farm land lost by 2012. State wants to buy land to protect but wont spend the money, Future looks alittle dim until they control the growth. I think most people from the NE are scared they will be stuck up there so they are cashing out on the housing bubble and just running.
Sorry a mis quote its 2 million acres by 2027

Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,001 times
I don't care what New York has to say about anything. They hardly signed the declaration of Independence for crying out loud. I don't want to live in NY and I am from NJ orginally. New York people are very vocal and opinionated and if they love where they live well let em have it.
Leaves more houses in NC for me.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM

191 posts, read 236,107 times
I hope that they keep trashing NC on the NY boards. Maybe it will discourage more NYers from coming here.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
This is just me, but I am more worried about some of the New Yorkers who are already down here and what they are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina