Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Let's hope they take the time to hammer out a combined bill that is fair to existing businesses.
Amen to that.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,143,006 times
any timeframe for when a compromise might be reached?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM

130 posts, read 389,739 times
I want to see a law that makes it illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under 18 in the car. I'm really tired of seeing people smoking with their kids or grandkids in the car. I'd like the penalty to be five years hard labor first offence and the death penalty on the second offence. I'd like to see woman that smokes have their child taken at birth an adopted out and the birth mother do a hard twenty in the state prison system. On the other hand, I think if you own a place of business you can smoke all you want....it's private property and nobody is making you go there. It's up to parents to keep their kids out of such a place and it's up to you not to go in yourself.....course I'm real big on personal responsibilty for adults and keeping the state (and liberal do gooders) out my life.

Last edited by 2BZee2Pee; 05-12-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
I want to see a law that makes it illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under 18 in the car. I'd like the penalty to be five years hard labor first offence and the death penalty on the second offence. I'd like to see woman that smoke have their child taken at birth an adopted out and the new mother do a hard twenty in the state prison system. course I'm real big on personal responsibilty for adults and keeping the state out my life.
Yeah, because all of that is not only reasonable, but could also be accomplished without increasing the scope of power the state has over your life.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM

4,051 posts, read 4,788,310 times
Quote:
I want to see a law that makes it illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under 18 in the car. I'm really tired of seeing people smoking with their kids or grandkids in the car.
I don't smoke, but both of my parents and step-parents were all chain smokers, so I breathed in enough second hand smoke as a kid growing up to last me a lifetime.... especially when riding in the car.

I rarely find myself in smoke filled environments these days, but the stink it leaves behind on your clothes is disgusting and makes me feel like I need a shower.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,427,147 times
Quote:
I want to see a law that makes it illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under 18 in the car. I'm really tired of seeing people smoking with their kids or grandkids in the car. I'd like the penalty to be five years hard labor first offence and the death penalty on the second offence. I'd like to see woman that smokes have their child taken at birth an adopted out and the birth mother do a hard twenty in the state prison system. On the other hand, I think if you own a place of business you can smoke all you want....it's private property and nobody is making you go there. It's up to parents to keep their kids out of such a place and it's up to you not to go in yourself.....course I'm real big on personal responsibilty for adults and keeping the state (and liberal do gooders) out my life.

As the parent of a high schooler.. I'm totally shocked at the number of students (most under 18) lighting up as soon as they drive off campus. Or how about the ones smoking on the hill by the seminary.... I don't get it ! My daughter says "everybody" smokes - and while I know this isn't totally true.. I can't deny what I see everyday..

Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,143,006 times
that's the thing: up here (MA) i think much fewer high school kids smoke. at least in upstate NY 10 years ago this was the case. a lot of people smoke pot for a couple years, but it's basically a phase. nicotine is far more addictive and is much more likely to become a lifelong habit. i'd like to see cigarettes have the same status as pot basically has. something adults can do in their homes or on their property if children aren't present.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Yeah my favorite is when you go to a grocery store and have to walk by a group of employees out in front of the store taking their smoking break. I cough and gasp as a walk by just to make my point.
They don't care, walk straight to the office and complain to the manager.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Fascism.

I'm starting to wonder what country I live in.
How about the freedom to NOT have to smell the stink of some nicotine junkie, and unwillingly participate in their attempt to get to the grave early

Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
I read the House is voting on the Senate version today. Assuming it passes, it will be submitted to the Governor for consideration. If it doesn't pass, the House and Senate will convene a joint committee to craft a compromise bill acceptable to both chambers.

Legislative history through May 12th - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...009&BillID=HB2

Last edited by mm34b; 05-13-2009 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina