Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

In reading the WRAL website regarding the NC House and Senate versions of the smoking bans passed in each chamber, the station takes the position that the House Bill is stronger. I am not so sure that I agree.
From what I understand, here is a quick summary of each bill passed:

House Bill:
* No Smoking in restaurants or bars within restaurants
* No Smoking in places that employ or serve children under 18 years old
* Smoking still allowed in stand alone bars and clubs

Senate Bill:
* No Smoking in restaurants or any bars, regardless of stand alone status
* No Smoking outside establishments if there are more than 2 walls surrounding the outdoor area.
* Smoking still allowed in private country clubs or fraternal orgs like the Masons.
* No provision to protect employees or patrons under the age of 18.

Frankly, I think that the Senate Bill is stronger though I'd prefer a combo of both. Most kids under 18 are already working in smoke free places since they tend to work retail and fast food. Most fast food chains are currently smoke free by policy and I can't think of any retail places that allow smoking. And, if either bill passes, all restaurants become smoke free anyway. To me, the big difference is that the Senate Bill protects many more adults by making bars smoke free as well. Time will tell if the Senate bill will include night clubs or if they will be treated as private like country clubs.

What are others' thoughts on the topic?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I've never understood why the government allowed the sale of a poisonous substance let alone allowed users of the substance to put others in danger of breathing a "secondhand" poison.

I've known absolutely brilliant, talented people who would be alive today if they hadn't chosen to smoke. Instead, they suffered long painful deaths.

The proposed bills aren't strong enough.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I'm all for banning smoking inside these establishments. Bars should be smoke free as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
I was in New York on business last year and went out for dinner. As usual, I asked for a seat in the non smoking section. The hostess asked me where I was from... apparently smoking has already been banned in restaurants there for some time, but the place was still packed.

I don't think smokers will stop eating out just because of a smoking ban. I also think that non smoking food service employees should not be continually subjected to breathing in second hand smoke all day, every day, while serving customers in smoking areas that could potentially affect the long term health of those employees.

Many large companies have already banned smoking inside buildings and encourage employees to quit smoking to help reduce health care insurance premium costs.

A smokers rights are not being taken away... they are simply being restricted to designated smoking areas that do not affect others. However, smoking isn't as widely accepted today as it once was in the past, again mainly due to the long term health concerns and increased medical expenses associated with smoking.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
I can't wait for smoking to be banned in public. We go out to eat and ask to be seated in non-smoking areas, yet smoke wafts over and the smell ruins the meal. I feel awful for the waitresses breathing that in all day. We tried to have a late meal downtown because a friend's band was playing and we were chased out by all the smoke. Even walking around the neighborhood, we're accosted by smoke. I don't see why people put up with it- it's disgusting.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Yeah my favorite is when you go to a grocery store and have to walk by a group of employees out in front of the store taking their smoking break. I cough and gasp as a walk by just to make my point.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
to the OP, i was thinking the same thing when i read the story. i think it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. i don't understand why these legislators don't just grow a pair and do what they should be doing, instead of trying to water this down so much. ban smoking in public, period. or at least bring the restaurants and bars up to speed with the 21st century. i mean even in dublin you can't smoke in bars!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
to the OP, i was thinking the same thing when i read the story. i think it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. i don't understand why these legislators don't just grow a pair and do what they should be doing, instead of trying to water this down so much. ban smoking in public, period. or at least bring the restaurants and bars up to speed with the 21st century. i mean even in dublin you can't smoke in bars!
Because NC has always been known as a tobacco farming state, and there are politicians that are still loyal to the leaf even though the tobacco farming industry has dwindled down quite a bit in NC over the past 5-10 years.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 PM

105 posts, read 364,222 times
I personally agree with the smoking band...I was in a locally owned but really nice sized furniture store recently and the manager, not the owner was talking to me and smoking a cigarette at the same time, I said to myself what the **#&!!! I politely said smoke bothers me,said If u dont mind putting that out I have asthma. He put it away but I just though his actions were rude and inconsiderate.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco29 View Post
I personally agree with the smoking band...I was in a locally owned but really nice sized furniture store recently and the manager, not the owner was talking to me and smoking a cigarette at the same time, I said to myself what the **#&!!! I politely said smoke bothers me,said If u dont mind putting that out I have asthma. He put it away but I just though his actions were rude and inconsiderate.
I agree with you, but what he was doing was probably considered normal behaviour to him as a smoker. Doing that can have a negative affect on his business however by driving away customers such as yourself and others who are offended by his actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina