Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM

88 posts, read 287,429 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is very mixed with people. I love it here, I live in Northridge so it doesn't take me no time to get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times
Smile Girl Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kio View Post
I'm a fairly young Latina (mid-late 20's) thinking of moving from the northeast to NC, but questioning the move, after reading these post & hearing some things I wonder how life is for a Latina, mostly a Boricua ( Puerto Rican) there? I've heard there is a lot of r[font=Arial]acism & I really don't even want to go there but also maybe it's time to have more of us down there & take over the place! (joking) I just wanted to move a little south but not too deep, so Florida or Georgia is out the picture. Curious if anyone has any comments and/or suggestions on life in NC for a Rican especially.....[/F
ONT]

Baby girl you come to NC.Don't allow the ignorance or insecurity of others contaminate your views. I am am an African American and native American mixed woman and proud of it. My husband is full blooded Puerto Rican. His parents live in Knightdale .We live in Raleigh and we are surrounded by family and a community that accepts us . We pay our bills and lives and keep the cultures alive ! Ignorance and prejudice will always exist ,but it will never prevail. NC has alot of culture and ooportunities for advancement. The mountains,the city and the beach are here awaiting you!!!!!!!!!!!Bienvenidos a Carolina del Norte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The world is not just Black and White .Puerto Rican is somewhere in the middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicodin View Post
hey faabala, when is the international days festival?

and what i really wanna know is where can i find some pastelillos in the triad? or anywhere in nc for that matter
Check out jibaros latin cafe by uncg pastellios yuca fries tostones maduros accapurillas they got it all...

Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kio View Post
I'm a fairly young Latina (mid-late 20's) thinking of moving from the northeast to NC, but questioning the move, after reading these post & hearing some things I wonder how life is for a Latina, mostly a Boricua ( Puerto Rican) there? I've heard there is a lot of racism & I really don't even want to go there but also maybe it's time to have more of us down there & take over the place! (joking) I just wanted to move a little south but not too deep, so Florida or Georgia is out the picture. Curious if anyone has any comments and/or suggestions on life in NC for a Rican especially.....
Hello Kio, I know that both Raleigh NC, and Virginia both have more than a few Puertoricans that moved there from the Northeast. I have some Boricua family in Raleigh, NC, and their from Puerto Rico and NYC. Its a nice place to live, but its not for me. I like cities where there's more going on. Im moving to the East Coast in September. I'm from the Bay Area, and I'm tired of it here. Being a 27 yr old mixed Latino, NJ/NYC or the Tri State area has got the best opportunities going on. Hands down.. But best of luck to you in where ever you decide.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 63,510 times
NO boricuas down here. ive lived here 9 years (minus 2008) and there are realy very very few Ricans around.... plus NC is pretty much BORING for a 20 year old. Only reason i live here is because i train for track and field and my coach lives here. NC is GREAT for kids families but its boring for young adults in their 20s as their just is not enough going on. just my opinion thoug..

Old 10-02-2009, 10:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
none? at all?

la esencia borinqueña

Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 63,510 times
very very few. sure there are some in Fayetteville, and Charlotte maybe a couple in Raleigh, where i live. But for the most part NC as a whole has very few Ricans.

I grew up in Rochester, NY and trust me there will be a noticeable diff when relocating from the NE.

Life for a Puerto Rican isn't bad in NC, but dont expect it to be like it was in the NE. Most people will assume your Mexican if you look latina, and if you are a darker skinned Rican like myself they will assume you are Black. Just something you might want to be prepared for, i dont take offense and i hope you wont either

Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfc1984 View Post
Most people will assume your Mexican if you look latina, and if you are a darker skinned Rican like myself they will assume you are Black. Just something you might want to be prepared for, i dont take offense and i hope you wont either

I don't doubt that. My oldest son is half Filipino and the ignorant people in his high school thought he was Mexican. Of course most of them could not have found the Phillipines on a map.

Fayetteville and most of the military bases will have large groups of Puerto Ricans. They are dispersed throughout the community. You won't find enclaves like up in Yankee land.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,775 times
Just know this that typical Puertorican food is so very limited here to almost nothing. You can find some Cuban food and similar but it is so so here. I have yet to find pastelillos unless you make them yourself. I finally found Internation foods to buy Goya products and the things I need to make sofrito. Depending where from the north you are coming, it takes some getting use to here, it took me 2 almost 3 years. I live in one of the smaller towns outside of Raleigh, but I am here to stay now. Raleigh or some of the larger towns/cities may make it an easier adjustment. I will say I still miss the food I could get up north or further south like Florida. The ignorance here is not everyone recognizes that PRs are legal american citizens. Many here think all latinos are Mexican and many upset because many that are here are illegal although not all. I just wish you the best in making your decision.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM

123 posts, read 219,262 times
You should really travel more. Florida isn't even close to the deep south. Florida is mostly pr and cuban anyway. Nc isn't even deep south. The deep south is mississippi, alabama, louisianna, and deep east texas and yes large areas of these places are very racist.

Nc at least charlotte and raleigh are not very racist places. Imo baltimore, philly, chicago, and detroit are much more racist places than anywhere in nc and even more so than most places in alabama.

Please join us in the 21st century.

Last edited by BiggDaddyDroid; 10-12-2011 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina