U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 975,191 times
Smoking is an addiction and I know the addicts get very defensive and anxious about their drug of choice. I empathize. But selfishly, I say hooray for the ban!! Hooray for my sinuses! Hooray for my clothes and hair not reeking of smoke! Goodbye smoke-induced headaches! Hopefully South Carolina will be next!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM

4,611 posts, read 4,979,335 times
Those who passed the legislation and those who support it either: a) think adults lack the mental capacity to make intelligent, independent decisions or b) are, themselves, too stupid to make such choices and need someone to do it for them.

As I understood when we moved here last year, at least 50% of the restaurants / bars in Meck. Co. were voluntarily smoke free. Seemed fair enough to me - business owners could make their own decisions about the rules of their establishments and the members of the general public had a wide variety of choices available to them in going out: people who wished to smoke while they ate or had a few drinks had places to go where they could do so; people who preferred to be in a non-smoking environment also had many options to choose from. Everyone had choices, everyone was a winner.

Now the ability to make such choices is out the window because the nanny state has made your decision for you. That way you don't have to tire out your poor little brain thinking quite so hard in making an informed, intelligent choice about which establishments you wish to patronize and those which you do not.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM

4,611 posts, read 4,979,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
But selfishly, I say hooray for the ban!! Hooray for my sinuses! Hooray for my clothes and hair not reeking of smoke! Goodbye smoke-induced headaches! Hopefully South Carolina will be next!
If the smoke is that problematic for you, why don't you simply avoid going into establishments that allow smoking and stick to non-smoking establishments instead. It is a very simple concept: you walk into a place...you see it is filled with smoke...you know smoke bothers you...you turn around, walk out the door and go someplace else.

Willfully choosing to enter, and stay, in a smoke-filled environment, and to then complain about the effects of said smoke, is kind of like choosing to hang out in a strip club and then complain about how the dancers on stage are being objectified.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM

35,361 posts, read 42,357,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Hubby was talking about the sugar tax this morning. I didn't think he was joking, except he said something about how to not tax diet soda. Hmmmm...so all ya soda lovers, gubmint is watching out for your diabetes and your weight, at the same time being creative at raising all the money for universal health care!
Just reviewed the Prez's plan for "universal healthcare." It only offers $$ up to $1200/year. That ain't gonna get anyone very far. Y'all just keep this in mind when you hear people advocating for UHC. If my taxes are gonna go up for that piddly amount of coverage - wh/ is only going to be offered to people who HAVE NO OPPORTUNITY to get insurance otherwise . . .

Now you all caught that right? If your employer offers h/c insurance, or you can get COBRA, you can't get this great $1200 coverage.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,590,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Smoking is an addiction and I know the addicts get very defensive and anxious about their drug of choice. I empathize. But selfishly, I say hooray for the ban!! Hooray for my sinuses! Hooray for my clothes and hair not reeking of smoke! Goodbye smoke-induced headaches! Hopefully South Carolina will be next!
Most of the people who oppose the ban on this forum don't even smoke .

Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,673,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Now I'll seriously consider moving to South Carolina.

They have some smoking laws, too. But not quite to the extent of what North Carolina just did.
just don't move to York county (Fort Mill, Tega Cay, etc). They are a step ahead of us and already have a ban! I'm so happy it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 PM

35,361 posts, read 42,357,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Most of the people who oppose the ban on this forum don't even smoke .
I was thinking the same thing. It is not that people think smokers have the right to light up anywhere, any time. The reason people are typically opposed to the ban is b/c it takes away the rights of the business owner to choose his/her clientele. There are bar owners who welcome smokers, b/c studies show that smokers consumer more beverages than non-smokers.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 PM

11,766 posts, read 17,977,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
One woman's poot is another man's blast.
Well if we're going to get technical about it then we should also ban womens' front door flatulence.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,590,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It is not that people think smokers have the right to light up anywhere, any time. The reason people are typically opposed to the ban is b/c it takes away the rights of the business owner to choose his/her clientele. There are bar owners who welcome smokers, b/c studies show that smokers consumer more beverages than non-smokers.
Right, and as a former small business owner myself I loathe the idea of govt being able to force what they think is best on me. Nanny government...

Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 PM

44,390 posts, read 54,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Right, and as a former small business owner myself I loathe the idea of govt being able to force what they think is best on me. Nanny government...
Where is Jesse Helms when you need him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina