Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Willfully choosing to enter, and stay, in a smoke-filled environment, and to then complain about the effects of said smoke, is kind of like choosing to hang out in a strip club and then complain about how the dancers on stage are being objectified.
Does the same hold true for the moms in thongs at the community pools? Should we consider legislation against the thongs or their being objectified because of their choice in swimwear?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Most of the people who oppose the ban on this forum don't even smoke .
Hooray for them!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM

161 posts, read 423,380 times
Quote:
Those who passed the legislation and those who support it either: a) think adults lack the mental capacity to make intelligent, independent decisions or b) are, themselves, too stupid to make such choices and need someone to do it for them.
I support it and quite capable of making my own choices ty kindly. One could say the same about being too lazy to go out on the patio or outside for 5 mins to smoke. Oh but wait you might be too lazy. It is always two sided and this street will always have two different paths. I have smoker friends who are very respectable who do not mind the ban and others who I know will have issues. This will always be a heated topic I am afraid. But because some choices are not "intelligent" from ones blowing smoke to another health issue this is why it is passed. However I did not think NC would pass it lol.

Quote:
If the smoke is that problematic for you, why don't you simply avoid going into establishments that allow smoking and stick to non-smoking establishments instead. It is a very simple concept: you walk into a place...you see it is filled with smoke...you know smoke bothers you...you turn around, walk out the door and go someplace else.
That is exactly what we had to do when we had a Special needs kid. It never bothered us much. Granted in Canada they had a ban. Heck in the area we lived you could not smoke in a car with a minor. So yeah I was spoiled moving to NC. But we accepted what was here and simply went where we could go and could not.

Maybe this poster meant they could not have freedom to go where they could not before? Dunno. But I know there are some places I would love to try that I have heard you guys talk about and now we can.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Does the same hold true for the moms in thongs at the community pools? Should we consider legislation against the thongs or their being objectified because of their choice in swimwear?
Can't compare. Do thongs cause cancer? Are thongs a threat to public health?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Are thongs a threat to public health?
That could depend on who is wearing them?!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Can't compare. Do thongs cause cancer? Are thongs a threat to public health?

They might. You never know. Apparently just about everything can lead to cancer. Even not enough masturbation/ejaculation is now being claimed to lead to cancer.

So who knows.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Even not enough masturbation/ejaculation is now being claimed to lead to cancer.
Oh lordy bad mental image of everyone on city data doing their business tonight now to ward off the evil C!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
I'm in the camp that is extremely against smoking bans because it is essentially telling a business owner how to run his or her business. We are all free to express our displeasure with a business by doing several things including explaining why we choose to not spend money there, go elsewhere, or we could just deal with it.

My fiance hates when I chew and now I have a perfect motive to chew when I am out. We had sit-ins in the past, I'll call mine a chew-in. Its my way of expressing displeasure with the ban. Do I know it won't do any good? Absolutely. Do I care? No. Do I find myself being concerned with how strangers view my behavior? Rarely, if ever.

Fortunately, this doesn't apply to private establishments as I have been told. Watch for the next wave of people converting from bar and grill to "club". I'd bet most of the places downtown will at least strongly consider it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
I am happy.. sorry all if you don't like it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Where is Jesse Helms when you need him?
I know where I HOPE he is...

I'm thrilled about this ban. Yes, I already make choices about places I do or don't patronize based solely on smoking being a factor. I do it because of my cancer-survivor husband and now my pregnancy, and the fact that I grew up in a household full of second-hand smoke and now my lungs are wrecked. There are restaurants and venues I would LOVE to go to, but have been previously unable to because I know it would sicken one of the (three) of us. And now we'll be able to patronize them too! Finally, I'll be able to go bowling and out to see live music again! Hooray! And I know I can't be the only one...

Anecdotally I can tell you that in other states where the ban was passed, the drinking-smokers I know didn't actually drink less, they just went outside to smoke once in a while in between drinks... If it makes you feel better, I will promise to drink my share when I patronize the "new" venues!

(As soon as I can, of course. I'll order the expensive fruity virgin drinks in the meantime...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina