We are planning on visiting NC in June. Because we're bringing young kids, we won't be as free to just meander through the state and get a thorough look, so we're hoping to focus on 3-4 areas to check out.
So far, we have Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh on our list. Please suggest other neighbors we should make sure to visit
... the more specific the better! Thank you.
- 4-5 bd home (we work from home so need home offices) with decent yard space and elbow room from the neighbors. Oh, and no HOA (or a very loose one)
- top schools
- home price under 400K
- university/hospitals (this would be my employment backup if working from home ever goes down the tube)
- walkability is KEY (and I don't mean the empty sidewalks they throw into every HOA neighborhood that have no cafe's, bookstores or whatever on them and are empty, save the lone dog walker
- a good mix of political views, leaning slightly left (but not so much that they come full circle ... you know the type)
- wide range of outdoor activities (biking, hiking)
- good (if basic) music scene (park concerts, open mic's, etc)
- some performance arts options (I love theatre - NOT musical theatre LOL)
- very, very safe neighborhood, of course (crime-wise and weather-wise)
- family-friendly, but not steeped in the whole "soccer mom" scene (I LIKE being around child-free people too, and when it's all families, things get way too child-centric, and there's no grown-up play around).