U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,952,543 times

Advertisements

It snowed last night in Winston-Salem and Greensboro! Temperatures this weekend expected to plunge into the teens and 20's overnight. Loving this Easter freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,927,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
It snowed last night in Winston-Salem and Greensboro! Temperatures this weekend expected to plunge into the teens and 20's overnight. Loving this Easter freeze.
I can't help but smile a mean little smile as so many southerners hawk their great weather as a step up on northerners yet they are all feezing right along with us Yankees tonight. I think you have to go to Key West to get above 80 right now. We have our spring break from school and the boatload of school kids and families left for NC,SC and FL.....I'm going to see a lot of co-workers come back next week as white as when they left and a lot of money out the window. Now where did I put that global warming report.......LOL

Old 04-07-2007, 04:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,167,835 times
Asheville Regional Airport - 1.2" 4/7/07

Seasonal Total - 3.1"

Old 04-07-2007, 07:28 PM

648 posts, read 2,044,688 times
Crazy stuff. The weather service is forecasting ALL-TIME record lows for the month of April tonight. Mid-teens in Asheville, low 20s in the piedmont. All the beautiful blloms that are out are in trouble...

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM

709 posts, read 2,327,985 times
This is actually nothing that hasn't happened before. As a kid growing in North Carolina I can remember going fishing in Yadkin County not far from Winston-Salem while it was snowing one Easter weekend in April. Most kids who grew up then in North Carolina can also remember the March when it snowed on a Tues for three or four straight weeks.

We have a home near Cape Carteret and the Emerald Isle beaches. I was wading in the ocean waters last weekend. We came back to Roanoke, Va, our other home on Thursday. I spent a lot of time mowing our yard, and yesterday morning we woke up to find it snow covered,"Snowy first haying of the yard."

It was very cold in Roanoke yesterday, with the temperature not getting above 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Yesterday in Cape Carteret it got to 51 degrees so I will still take the beach weather of Cape Carteret over life in the north.

People in Maine got up to a foot of snow which didn't get melted by noon like ours did in Roanoke.

Weather is a funny thing, my mother who born in 1910 used to tell stories about her father driving a team of horses on the ice of their mill pond near Winston-Salem. They would cut ice and store it for the summer.

The last few years we seem to have somewhat mild winters and then cold springs. I'll still take NC weather over almost any that I have seen. If it is too hot on the coast go to the mountains. If it is too cold in the mountains go to the coast. Those are nice options.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 1,952,543 times
People from New York are mistaken about NC's weather. Snow is not rare in spring in North Carolina. It's NC, not Florida.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 AM

505 posts, read 1,640,019 times
We got a nice little dusting here in Raleigh too. It was coming down sideways for about 30 minutes.

The roofs, cars, and bushes were covered. The grass had a nice white glazing.

I have seen snow in early May in eastern NC one time. Our last April snow was a few years ago here in Raleigh when it snowed one morning.

I will never forget about the March 1980 Blizzard we had at the coast.....24 plus inches fell!

It does happen!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 AM

957 posts, read 3,137,844 times
C'mon, you old North Carolinians should know this. It is typically called the Easter Squall or sometimes called Blackberry Winter. One of the biggest snows I saw during my 12 years in NC was in April.
PS-Driving my mom back down to Western NC tomorrow. Hope the weather is about to break. Hope to hit a golf ball while there.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,167,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
C'mon, you old North Carolinians should know this. It is typically called the Easter Squall or sometimes called Blackberry Winter. One of the biggest snows I saw during my 12 years in NC was in April.
PS-Driving my mom back down to Western NC tomorrow. Hope the weather is about to break. Hope to hit a golf ball while there.
The National Weather Service office at the Asheville Regional Airport says the snowiest April was 1987 with 11.5".

The Asheville area will be back in the high 60s to low 70s by Thursday of this week. Too late for Henderson County's apple crop. Preliminary reports indicate that around 90% of the 2007 crop was destroyed over the weekend. The worse loss in 52 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina