U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is true?
No one, including recent college grads, should be encouraged to move here without a job. 21 91.30%
Unemployed college grads should be encouraged to move here because they have few responsibilities. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,178,976 times

Advertisements

What makes sense? Respond to the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM

2,034 posts, read 3,930,543 times
Why is the poll wording in such an agenda driven manner? Why not include more of the variables being discussed in the other thread? Is it because if ALL options were on the table, it would not work out in your favor? This is a serious question.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,364,372 times
The thing is I would never encourage anyone to move here, but if they wanted to move here I wouldn't discourage them either. I think people are smart enough to do their homework and decide for themselves whether moving here would be wise or not.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,998,543 times
Shocking, but I agree with Charlton Dude. The choices are "loaded."

Old 05-23-2009, 10:18 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,178,976 times
They are not "loaded." They are a summary of two different points of view. I will admit they may appear to be out of context for those who don't regularly read the boards. Here are two related threads that provide context:

Top reasons why you CAN move to the Raleigh/Durham area WITHOUT a job.

Recent grad moving from Midwest to Raleigh

Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,711,461 times
What if they are rich? Does the survey cover that? What if their spouse has a job? Does the survey cover that? What if they realize unemployed is unemployed here or there and if their limited resources cover more here. Does the survey cover that? Did the OP think none of us would remember their thoughts from the Triangle forum? If I posted a poll people would question my subjectivity on the topic. How about a possible response of what if they didn't ask would I give it anyway? The Poll compares Apples with Oranges in the responses. Yes to College grads is the possible yes answer and No to every one else is the possible No answer. Hmmmmmmmmm let me think back to statistics. Why not a simple yes or no to college grads? I have a third possible response.

Yes if they are unemployed and love Brentwood also and want to live there.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,711,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
They are not "loaded." They are a summary of two different points of view. I will admit they may appear to be out of context for those who don't regularly read the boards. Here are two related threads that provide context:

Top reasons why you CAN move to the Raleigh/Durham area WITHOUT a job.

Recent grad moving from Midwest to Raleigh
The recent college grad poster also asked the same question about Seattle and only got positive feedback. They gave some more detail in that post. They are from suburban Detroit and we know that area is dead with little future. What are they suppose to do? Sit at home with no job and apply on line knowing people when they do hire want people on the ground and in place. If they do get a job offer and the employer wants them to start in a week how do they find housing and move on such short notice. They need to be in place applying and ready to start. They need to relocate and find a job. Do you think the only and best order to do that is find a job than relocate. When in their field you probably need to be there first? I have sons and their significant others who have made major relocations and they usually needed to have a job first. My youngest and his fiancee came from the Left Coast to the Right Coast almost 3 months ago. It took her a little over a month to land a job. It took her 3 weeks of interviews to get the job. Her recruiter told her it would be very difficult to get a job prior to relocating and she needed to wait.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,116 times
I originally posted a thread with regard to Seattle,WA and Raleigh, NC to gain a variety of feedback on my needs & wants versus' the experiences of other residents in these respective communities. I found the feedback in both forums quite informative although the feedback was and is not the deciding factors for a decision to move to either community.

The responses I received in both forums reflected the experiences of MSU and U of M alum in Michigan, as well working professionals with years of experience or credentials. The issue I face as a Michigander is knowing which community [Seattle, Raleigh, Detroit, etc] has potential for growth within the next 7 years, and that's what prompted me to do preliminary research on all these communities (including Austin, Houston, and Atlanta).

The move out of state is quite a risk, however the same might be said about staying in Michigan as well. I don't expect competing with experienced formerly laid off professionals to be easy whereever I move. But, I'm still optimistic, not naive.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or