Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 AM

167 posts, read 944,947 times

Advertisements

I just started reading "The Secret of War: A Dramatic History of Civil War Crime in Western North Carolina" by Terrell T. Garren. It's very interesting so far... The author is from Asheville and still lives there, and the story takes place in the WNC mountains. Just wondering if anyone has read this book or has heard of this writer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 10:13 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default civil war

I haven't read it, but one interesting thing about the mountain areas of NC is that they were generally opposed to the civil war. They may not have cared much for the US govt at the time, but they didn't think that the Confederate govt would have been any better.

Also, slave ownership wasn't very high in the mountains, so they didn't see the need to fight for something that didn't apply to them.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
I just started reading "The Secret of War: A Dramatic History of Civil War Crime in Western North Carolina" by Terrell T. Garren. It's very interesting so far... The author is from Asheville and still lives there, and the story takes place in the WNC mountains. Just wondering if anyone has read this book or has heard of this writer?
I wasn't aware of the book or author, but apparently he lives about 8 miles outside of Hendersonville, NC in Mills River. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 AM

167 posts, read 944,947 times
It's not the kind of thing I'd normally read... Historical fiction, but this is actually very interesting, probably partly because it's set in NC and that's pretty central in my mind these days. Mr. Garren is going to be writing a second book, related to the first, soon.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,744 times
I didn't know till a few days ago, that the Union raised 2 full regiments of infantry from among the people of the Carteret Co. area (down East). This area was taken over by the North early in the war.

Apparently, there was a battle and the Confederates captured a number of prisoners from one of these regiments. It came out that 22 of the Union soldiers had deserted from Confederate units. They were all hung in Goldsboro.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
Default Youngblood

I just read the book and thought it was qutie interesting since I am a Youngblood. I am from Hoopers Creek and know the families that are mentioned in the book. This has just sparked my curiosity even more and I plan on educating myself more about the War.
I would also like to contact Terrell Garren. I am unable to locate his web address if he has one. I have performed a Google search and he does not have a blog either.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 PM

He published new book a couple of months ago titled Mountain Myth: Unionism in Western North Carolina.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-07-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyaflower View Post
I would also like to contact Terrell Garren. I am unable to locate his web address if he has one. I have performed a Google search and he does not have a blog either.
He lives in Mills River, NC and is listed in the Hendersonville Telephone Directory.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I haven't read it, but one interesting thing about the mountain areas of NC is that they were generally opposed to the civil war. They may not have cared much for the US govt at the time, but they didn't think that the Confederate govt would have been any better.

Also, slave ownership wasn't very high in the mountains, so they didn't see the need to fight for something that didn't apply to them.
I did not read this book.

While I dont want to stir up too much trouble here, slave ownership was not an issue a Confederate soldier was fighting for. Fighting for ones homeland has more to do with. These days it doesnt mean that much, but before the War of Northern Aggression many people identified with their state, rather than a country. You fought for your state.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM

110 posts, read 456,126 times
"These days it doesnt mean that much, but before the War of Northern Aggression many people identified with their state, rather than a country. You fought for your state."

I'm glad that's changed. Otherwise we'd be no better off than Bosnia, Afghanistan, or Iraq. There may be some differences between Northerners and Southerers, or Easterners and Westerners, but I think generally we all see ourselves as one nation, even though our backgrounds are probably more diverse than anywhere in the world. When you look at the factions and civil strife in other parts of the world, between different clans and ethnic groups within nations, it's almost a miracle how well we actually live together. While I hope these remarks also don't stir up too much trouble, I am grateful for the courage of men like Abraham Lincoln who saw the potential and realized that this was a nation worth saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina