U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM

252 posts, read 860,016 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants to move to a warmer climate, although I am quite happy in Cincinnati. I thought NC may be viable, but I have been hearing horror stories about Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure), and I dont know anything about the triangle, or greensboro area. Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 22,557 times
Default Charlotte schools

First of all, I am a realtor AND a transplant from NJ. DH is from Cincinnati (he went to Madeira HS). We are both so happy we can't see straight. Congested? Depends on where you're comparing it to, where you work, what your hours are, etc. etc. Approx. 80,000 people per year are moving to the Charlotte area. Every major builder is represented here. Lots of growth means lots to do, lots of restaurants, etc.

I find it to be pretty wonderful. We are getting to the place where we will have to implement some lightrail type transportation, so lots of talk of that.
I find S. Charlotte to be beautiful, seems safe to me, our HS is much better than our highly touted HS in NJ. You can check out schools on www.greatschools.net. Mecklenburg County has a magnet school system where you are "in" if you live in the district, but can apply to another school during the yearly time to do that. Not real easy to do, though, so look in the area for your school. Although, of course, if you're in a growth area, another school will open up and your district may change (mostly in Union County). We are one of the few areas in the country not experiencing a real estate slump, because we've maintained steady, conservative growth, and continue to do so.

I am not hearing much complaining about Charlotte from people who have moved; Most people I deal with or have met are originally from somewhere else, but it could have been last year or 20 years ago that they moved. I also know quite a few native Charlotteans. I visited Cincinnati last year and there's growth there. My brother-in-law lives there and loves it. But I've also heard a lot about gangs there. Does that mean you live in an area with lots of gangs? I'm sure you don't even see them where you are. I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt when you hear bad things about Charlotte. My life is pretty bucolic, with good schools, pretty surroundings, nice people, lots to see and do, and pretty easy to get around.

I have a friend from NJ moving to Raleigh area because she has family there, and she loves it. Greensboro, W-S area is beautiful: I lived in W-S for awhile. Just a bit small for me, personally. It is all beautiful and there are nice people everywhere. Probably some mean, whiney complainers, also.

Weather. I smile every day. Lots of sunshine, extremely mild winter. We had a touch of ice and a dusting of snow, melted within a day. All the seasons are represented. Last July was hot, but that's why we have central air!!

I lived in Louisville, KY for awhile, so I know what your winters are like!! Summers here just feel like summers anywhere to me. Just nicer year round weather.

I think if you are happy and don't want to move, you will not be really happy anywhere - it's a mind thing, ya know? I hated Louisville, because it was the first place I made a big move to. Looking back, it was a really a pretty nice place and I would try it again. Except, I'm never leaving Charlotte!!

If you are seriously thinking about moving, embrace it, get excited, come visit, and your move will be successful.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 AM

648 posts, read 2,688,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Charlotte..the influx of new people being so great that the city is not keeping up(schools, infrastructure)... Good schools are especially important to me, since I am currently in an excellent district. I also dont want to be sitting in traffic all day..can anyone elaborate????
It sounds like you'd be more at ease in an established area. The explosive growth is on the fringes of the NC cities, and that's where the major problems are with school and infrastructure. I think the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High point) area is growing at a more manageable rate than Charlotte and the Triangle, but someone may correct me on that.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,137 times
Default Nc

My wife and moved from Mass and love it. Moved to Matthews NC
but due to a job change are now in Fort Mill SC.

Yes the area is exploding but that is because jobs are plentiful,
taxes are low, and there are good house values. Not to mention
the weather....winter here was like fall in the Northeast WOW.

The home I just left is on a golf course in Matthews. I could never
have afforded that in the Northeast. Traffic from Matthews was not
that bad, and I was about 40 minutes to a great airport. There is a
new mall going in Matthews soon as well.

I had to put my home on the market recently but I am very happy here
in SC also. Still in the Charlotte belt.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

161 posts, read 626,250 times
I am a realtor in the Triangle area and could send you a relo-kit with area guides, maps, school guides and real estate magazines etc.. You can get a nice feel for the area. You should find a good realtor in every area that you have considered and ask for the same package. It really helps. I specifically work with relo people; I moved a little over a year ago from NY. Try viewing the www.ncreportcards.org website to find the better performing schools. You will find some stand outs that you will want to investigate. PM me with your address for the relo-kit. Good luck, it is a nice area to raise a family. I never look back!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,286,459 times
A great suburb in the Charlotte area to look at is Belmont (to the west of the city). It's a beautiful little town (8,500 people), growing at a VERY managable pace, very good schools, the easiest drive into Charlotte (via I-85 or Hwy. 74), on Lake Wylie on the south side of town, the U.S. National Whitewater Center just across the river, nice downtown park, beautiful YMCA, very clean/green, and family-friendly. We lived there in the 90's and if it wasn't for my wife's job, we'd be back there in a second. A true hidden gem!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or