Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,601 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]I'm thinking of buying a second home near Duke University for my daughter to live in, maybe with a roommate while she's finishing her masters, (3 years) I'd like to know the areas near and around Duke that have good resale value and that are safe. Looking between 2k to 3k. Also, does Durham suffer from a bum rap about the crime rate or is it something to worry about? I've never felt uncomfortable while I've been there visiting so I don't understand the big deal with that stigma. Thanks for your opinions.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,074,832 times
The crime situation in Durham is largely a bad rap. Most of the crime, certianly the more violent crime, is largely gang-related and isolated to the east/east-central part of town. The areas around Duke have crime similar to many neighborhoods in close proximity to a university: theft, vandalism, car break-ins, etc... Crime in general in Durham has been on the decline recently. FWIW, I live in Durham and have never once felt unsafe. I also do venture into some of the sketchier areas at times, both in my car and by bike...again, never felt unsafe!

IMO, the best neighborhoods to consider are Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale & Old West Durham.

Also, consider re-posting this question in the Raleigh-Durham forum and you'll probably get a lot better response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina