Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 58,873 times

Advertisements

I am currently a resident in West Virginia.
I am thinking about moving to North Carolina.
I am an elementary education teacher, my boyfriend is a band director (middle or high school).
We have heard Raleigh and Charlotte are nice.
Any advice?
What should we know first?
How about job openings??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessTeacher View Post
I am an elementary education teacher, my boyfriend is a band director (middle or high school).
Any advice?
How about job openings??
This should get you started - http://teach4nc.org

Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 25,600 times
You also might wish to look at the following

www.ncpublicschool.org

www.north-carolina.schooltree.org (broken link)

If you are moving from West Virginia I am not sure my hometown would appeal to you--but Asheville is a nice place (maybe not to everyone and that is ok).

Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
If you are coming to Asheville, bring your job with you, or be independently wealthy. Housing costs are high for southern town/city. Much higher than Charlotte, Winston, Raleigh, etc. which all have a much higher median income and better employment opportunities.

A friend who's husband was transfered to Cary (Wake Co) and was a high school teacher here just couldn't get into the Wake Co. School system, saying that you really needed to be from the area to get a job there. Which she said is ironic, as those that live in Cary say it is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"

Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 PM

16 posts, read 58,873 times
How are the people and cost of living in Raleigh?
So it's difficult to get a teaching position there?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM

105 posts, read 391,250 times
I'm not sure about teaching jobs, but Raleigh is a very nice place with many different people. The cost of living is a little on the higher end, but still pretty affordable.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
My wife teaches middle school science here in the Charlotte area (Cabarrus Co.). The fast-growing metros such as Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham can't seem to hire teachers fast enough. Since a Band Director is such a nich position, it probably would take a little more effort than other teaching spots.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,538 times
Quote:
Any advice?
How about job openings??
I am thinking about moving to North Carolina

Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM

38 posts, read 130,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
those that live in Cary say it is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"

Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,436 times
Default Homeless in Education

Charlotte has Magnet schools and regular, my kids have always been in magnet (lucky I guess) but anyway. Magnet on a teachers standpoint dont know, but on a parent's view (we are more involved with our children and teachers). Hate to say but magnet students are smart, but u have to keep their attention and motivated. Charlotte Mecklenburg System is offering incentives packages for teachers (good elementary school is Chantility or Morehead) high school band, dont know, if you need more info, i can send u links for the magnets, etc. Good Luck and have a great and safe 4th.

Quote:
Any advice?
How about job openings??

Last edited by brownsugar; 06-28-2007 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina