Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 16,175 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband is considering taking a transfer from a NJ hospital to the Frye Medical Center in Hickory NC.

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some communities we might consider when we visit the area in two weeks.

We would like to live in an area that is a bit open (where we live now, the homes are right on top of each other) but would also like to live in an area that is safe and basically crime free. I do realize that all areas have their share of crime but in general - which areas are best suited for families.

We don't mind a commute (45 minutes or under is fine) and the school district is not a problem either because we homeschool.

I suppose in a nut shell we are looking for a property with a bit of land in an area that has that small town feel...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Caren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 AM

219 posts, read 963,232 times
You should look into Taylorsville just north of Hickory.
We purchased land there and are having a house built.
We are ,also. from NJ and love the area
Melissa

Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,749,068 times
Melissa,
Did you retire to Taylorsville or are you still working? We were over there to the meat market the other day. What a neat little town!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM

I am a stay at home mom.
My husband is a corporate controller and will find a job , either in Charlotte or Winston-Salem.
We and our children love the area.

Where are you looking to live?

Melissa

Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Melissa,
Did you retire to Taylorsville or are you still working? We were over there to the meat market the other day. What a neat little town!
what little meat market??

Melissa

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Mays Meat Market at 541 E. Main Street.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Caren,
Sorry to hijack your thread. Recently there has been a lot of discussion about Granite Falls. I suggest you research it and the Grace Chapel area of Caldwell County. Although they are suburbs of Hickory these areas have lower county taxes.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Hi Melissa,

Could you tell me a little bit about Taylorsville? What type of homes are in the area - did you hire a builder to build your home or is it in a new development.

I will also look into Granite Falls - is that near a lake? I believe I saw a home listed that said it had lake access.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Caren

Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Could you please give me some information on Granite Falls and Grace Chapel?

Could you tell me how far of a drive it would be to Frye Medical Center?

Thanks!
Caren

Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Granite Falls has a very small "downtown" area and about 4500 people in all. They are building a new Super Walmart on US321 in GF.
The Grace Chapel area is in southernmost Caldwell County. You can mapquest "Grace Chapel Road" to find it. Some of it is backed up to "Lake Hickory" which is a wide spot on the Catawba River. Like anywhere else if you want to be on the water you will pay $$. Like I said earlier there are lower taxes in Caldwell County but Grace Chapel has a Hickory mailing address. GC is about four miles and GF is about 7 from Frye. You aren't in NJ anymore!
From GF you can be in the mountains in one hour. Cooler there in the summer and skiing there in the winter while you get little or NO snow. I don't miss that crap one bit. The foothills offer a truly amazing weather pattern. Gets a little sticky in the summer but not as bad as a hot humid summer in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina