U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 29,092 times

Advertisements

I am a Boise native that has been transplanted all over the globe in teh past five years and what I wouldn't give to get back home in the future other than a short visit. I was born in the area, raised, as well as a grad of Boise High, and alum of Boise State. Tons to do, very family oriented town (really it is its own little metropolis now w/ Eagle, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Kuna, and Boise all running into one another these days). The crime is still low and the job market can be very prosperous as it's an opportunity to start your own business in this bustling market =]
We are now stationed at Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC. While a quaint town, there's not much that we've found for family in the immediate area. We have to drive to the Triangle (Raleigh/ Durham/Apex) to have much to do.
As for the LDS comments, I have not ONE clue as to what it has to do with anything. I grew up Lutheran and never even noticed or felt left out when I had mormon friends. It isn't that big of deal and the public schools are amazing in Boise (another reason I'd love to raise my kids back home- amazing school district). Also, tot he poster who said that Boise is "brown and dusty", are you kidding me?! Sounds like you've never been there, how can you have lived there and say that?
Boise is known as the "City of Trees" although many have been cut down or lost to droughts in recent years, but it is far from Brown and Dusty :?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Boise probably be nice
nc
taxes are high here
so is the cost of livinng

Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,260,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tynkrbelle82 View Post
Boise is known as the "City of Trees" although many have been cut down or lost to droughts in recent years, but it is far from Brown and Dusty :?
My husband wrote that on my account when I wasn't looking or I would have made him sign up for his own.

Boise is fortunate to be big enough to defy single generalizations. We lived in Columbia Village, and Columbia Village is pretty brown and dusty except where it is irrigated. The core of Boise does have quite a few trees, but at this point development has gone well into the high desert and those areas were brown. The only trees in Columbia Village had been planted in the last couple of years. We were also there in a drought period and there were quite a few forest fires, so that certainly affected our perceptions. If we'd lived in North End we might have thought it was green.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 16,817 times
Hi
I know this is a little bit late as the thread is a year old but I had to say something. I am not from the U.S and we lived in Boise and are currently living in NC.

My husband when we moved to Boise told me about LDS and said they will all ignore you or convert you... that turned out to be a load of BS. We lived 2 minutes away from the LDS church so our neighborhood was mainly Mormon. I found them to be very helpful and very kind people. I did have them knock at my door trying to convert me but you just have to be honest and not waste your time and there time. I have children and their kids did play with my kids, they were not strange or horrible to him. My friends from there still send us children’s LDS magazines, I let my son read it and play the games in the magazine because I don't want him to grow up and be ignorant to other peoples believes.

As far as Boise goes, I thought it was a great place, great schools, great hospitals, Good night life. Excellent shops, world class outdoor activities that are great for all the family.
I have only lived in NC for a year but so far found the people to be very friendly but the actual town we live in is no match to Boise.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
Boise sucks if i dont move soon i will kill myself!!!!!!!!!!! nothing to do here unless you are a hick. over run by meth heads, white trash and mexicans. almost impossible to find work here, unless you are happy with minimum wage.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 AM

142 posts, read 173,531 times
The last post was in 2010, so to update this thread....Believe it or not, we are a retired couple considering just both of these places. Boise and Raleigh, as far-fetched as that may sound, of course they are not similar or the choice would be simple. There are pros and cons to every place. Where the taxes are lower, the house prices are higher. It's a really tough decision since we have already tried Florida (too humid) and Arizona (too dry and desolate).
It needs to be affordable so NC may not be the right "affordable" choice.
Since it has been 4 years, if you read this post, I'd like to hear from another member who has posted on this thread over 4 years ago if you can update me on your experiences it would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiloo View Post
The last post was in 2010, so to update this thread....Believe it or not, we are a retired couple considering just both of these places. Boise and Raleigh, as far-fetched as that may sound, of course they are not similar or the choice would be simple. There are pros and cons to every place. Where the taxes are lower, the house prices are higher. It's a really tough decision since we have already tried Florida (too humid) and Arizona (too dry and desolate).
It needs to be affordable so NC may not be the right "affordable" choice.
Since it has been 4 years, if you read this post, I'd like to hear from another member who has posted on this thread over 4 years ago if you can update me on your experiences it would be greatly appreciated! TIA
People need a LOT more to go on to give advice. What draws you to each place? Why are you considering these specific cities? There is no "one answer" to the question "Which city should we move to?" and we don't know your personal needs/wants.

If you're asking specifically about Raleigh, I would suggest starting a new thread in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) forum--this forum is for the entire state. There is also a "City vs City" forum under General US that's technically the best place for asking questions about two disparate cities, since you're going to get biased responses when you post in one city's forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina