U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,693 times

Advertisements

Hi all- just looking for a little advice on relocating to either Boise, ID or North Carolina. We currently live in Seattle (for the past 2 years) and really dislike it. Before that we were in Athens, Georgia and we really enjoyed our time there- originally from the Bay Area of California.

At times we wish we had stayed in Athens. Loved the friendliness of people in the south, the thunderstorms, sun & warmth, big trees. We are both "liberal" and not religious but had a fine time. Cost of living was a big plus and we enjoyed the artistic subculture- it's not as trendy and mainstream as large west coast cities. Also folks were not as intense and self important.

But our family is on the west coast, and we have a family cabin in Idaho. So we moved to Seattle. Yikes. Can't stand the long dark winters and super passive aggressive culture. We plan to move on, ASAP, if and when jobs rebound from the recession. We are both in architecture/landscape architecture and the job market has been hit hard- so for now we are sort of stuck here.

Still we are looking for a mellow, friendly place. Can deal with a fair share of conservative values if it's accompanied by true friendliness (ie. not Seattle politeness). Love a healthy outdoor environment- and being around others who appreciate it also. We don't have kids and are in our 30's. We enjoy random cultural events and are not so big on uptight yuppies. Also like being close to an Airport as we travel a fair amount. It seems Boise or NC could be a good fit...
just looking for some feedback.

Also open to suggestions but FYI we have already scoped out Washington/Oregon/Colorado/Montana and for various reasons crossed them off the list.

Many Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,261,290 times
Hi klio, I have lived in Boise for 3 years and Raleigh-Durham area for 5. Boise has a small but thriving liberal community, including a lot of artists and craftspeople. There is a nice farmers market, some interesting wineries, and a glass blowing shop on top of a mountain (not sure if it is still there). Since the community is so small, you feel a personal connection when you find an artist/winery/restaurant that you like. The outdoor activities available in Boise are second to none. Skiing, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. are close and world class. The population of Boise is ~40% LDS church members, probably over 50% of school age children are in LDS families. At work I had a lot of LDS friends and I had no problem being judged or excluded (I an not a member of the LDS church). I would have some concern that school-age children who are non-LDS might feel excluded, but I can't say for sure.

The RDU area has about four times the population of the Boise area, so it is much more urban. There is a lot more of everything. There are a lot of very conservative people in NC, but there is a very large concentration of 'relocated yankees' in the RDU area. In general, RDU is more liberal than Boise. RDU has Duke, NCSU, and UNC, while Boise does not have a major university nearby (sorry to all the Boise State fans). RDU is very green and lush most of the year, while Boise is mostly brown and dusty. Air quality can be a problem in Boise if there are forest fires in Oregon (every other year). RDU is a few hours from the beach, which is nice. The options for backpacking and mountain biking do not really compare to Boise. In general I would say RDU is better for kids because there are more options for preschools, lessons, and activities. And the state universities in NC are better than Idaho. One thing to keep in mind is the economy of Boise is tied to Micron, which has a very up and down history. The RDU economy has a more stable basis: state government, education, biotech, software, etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times
Asheville, NC
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post9068718
^^^video
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post9075736
^^^^
pics

Asheville is expensive by NC standards, so you might want to look at one of their suburbs. Also, the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) would be a good fit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I'm in a similar boat myself, in terms of relocation and have researched exhaustively.

I have considered North Carolina also, and given your criteria, think it's the best fit. It has for the most part relatively low crime, affordability, no snow shoveling and an economy that's not in the tank as much of the country.

In terms of your daily lifestyle, especially the casual/laidback aspect, western North Carolina would be great for you. Asheville/Hendersonville is the center of commerce for the western part of the state. The town of Black Mountain, just to the east of Asheville is a very desirable area with easy access to downtown Asheville. Good luck!

Black Mountain, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cozy 1BR cottage near downtown Black Mtn. (http://asheville.craigslist.org/apa/1204989534.html - broken link)
http://asheville.craigslist.org/apa/1211528774.html (broken link)

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,105,871 times
While I have friends in Boise and have been a couple of times, I'm not going to pretend to know a lot and advise you on that area...J_Lurk already did a pretty good job of it. I do think its a nice place and offers tremendous outdoor recreation opportunities year-round; certainly more than you'll find in the immediate areas of the larger metros in NC.

If you decide NC is right for you, I'd recommend looking at Durham, Chapel Hill, Asheville and the Boone area for the vibe you're trying to find. Boone will provide a much colder climate than Durham/CH and Asheville will be the most temperate. Asheville and Boone also have great recreation options all around, however far less employment opportunites than you'd find in Durham/CH.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 AM

2,640 posts, read 6,062,893 times
This thread is a joke, right?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
This thread is a joke, right?
Why do you think it is a joke??? Boise, ID and much of NC are currently hot spots for relocation, so this question doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Boise is a tremendous place and so I'm assuming you have never been. Idaho has a heck of a lot more than potatoes, just like NC has a lot more than than tobacco.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 PM

2,640 posts, read 6,062,893 times
mdp, note the winky.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
mdp, note the winky.
My bad.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,208 times
"Boise is mostly Brown and dusty" Funny stuff! Don't move here, the LDS will exclude you. I am moving my Catholic family away. LOL! That was some funny reading.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Honestly, speaking as a native....NO. I am born and bred from North Carolina and I have never seen it this bad as far as unemployment is concerned. True, things are starting to turn around but we really have a long way to go. Unemployment here is at its highest and competition is real fierce right now for jobs.....For some unknown reason, people think that NC is the 'promise land". So many people are moving here without jobs, which is making unemployment even worse. Me personally, trying to leave NC when it gets better...Trying to move to the Southwest. Just my two cents....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina