Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 13,326 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I would be graduating out of college this summer from TX and will be moving to Raleigh, NC in mid-August (Got Job ). I have found affordable accommodation which is 20 min from my office (Main Campus NCSU).

I am planning to buy a used car preferably after 2010 model Honda(Civic/CR-V) or Toyota (Camry) - Loan basis{range: 15-20k}.

I wanted to know is it a good idea to buy car in TX(dallas) or in NC(Raleigh). If you feel its best to buy in TX then what is the procedure which i need to follow when i get the car to NC and If I buy in NC then should i have NC license? Please help me, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
If you're planning on getting a loan for 15-20k, you could buy a brand new Civic. When we were at the dealership two weeks ago a new 2012 Civic was about $18k.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
If you're planning on getting a loan for 15-20k, you could buy a brand new Civic. When we were at the dealership two weeks ago a new 2012 Civic was about $18k.
I can't rep this, but I'll second it.

A new Civic is inexpensive. They're good cars. I had one until I traded it for my Insight hybrid. Which, btw, was lousy compared to my Civic and got traded for a Prius C a couple of months ago.

Which, I love. But, it's more than you're wanting to spend.

Go for the new Civic and drive that baby until you're good and ready to trade. I had mine 3 years, put only about 1k down on it with a 5-year loan and still made nearly 6k on my trade after payoff.

My husband bargains like crazy on trades so ymmv there.

Ha! Car joke.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Buy it in NC. If you buy in TX, you'll pay tax on it there, and then you'll pay tax on it again when you get here.

If you buy it here, you'll pay no tax when you buy it, you'll pay the yearly tax every year thereafter.

Of course I know nothing about TX - if there's no tax there at all then I guess it's a wash.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,723 times
I would also buy in NC. Since there is no state income tax in Texas, they get you on everything else. The sales tax when I was in Dallas was around 8.5%.

Here in NC you pay a 3% highway use tax plus the yearly property tax (which you would have to pay regardless of where you purchased if you transfer it to NC).

Its a no brainer to buy in NC.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Once you get the car here you would need to transfer the tags, about $150. The cost of gas to get you here would be about $155 @$3.25/gallon. You can probably get a temp tag in TX and then get an NC tag when you get here. I know that when we moved from NC to TX last year my husband bought a new car right before we left and he was able to do it that way instead of paying for tags in two states.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,510 times
I recently bought an used van in TX and did not register the vehicle there. I used movers to haul it here. I paid taxes for the sale in TX and NONE here (don't remember what percentage of tax I paid there). I paid about $140 for the tags etc in NC (I believe that included Property Tax since the vehicle value was less than $5000). To register here I did not have to get emission inspection done and they gave me one year waiver for the inspection

Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
If you buy in Texas and the vehicle is owned for LESS than 90 days before applying for an NC Title, tax credit against the Highway Use Tax (HUT) due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to another state, upon submission of proof of payment.

If the vehicle was titled in NC after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit is allowed. Full Highway Use Tax (HUT) will be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit.

If the vehicle is owned for MORE than 90 days prior to registering in NC, you will be taxed on the vehicle’s value, up to a maximum of $150.00 tax.

NCDOT: Division of Motor Vehicles

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

81 posts, read 214,299 times
Let me get this straight. When I bring my cars into NC I will pay a use Tax up to $150. plus the cost of a Plate? What does the plate fee run, is it a flat fee or is it based on the weight or MSRP of the car?
Here in AZ we only pay sales tax if the car is bought from a dealer. Privet sales are excluded from paying tax. BUT our plate fee is based on the MSRP and that can run $600 and up say for a $40K car. It does come down some each year.
example, My 2008 Harley Motorcycle cost new $18,500 and the plate was $325 the 1st year.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC58 View Post
Let me get this straight. When I bring my cars into NC I will pay a use Tax up to $150. plus the cost of a Plate? What does the plate fee run, is it a flat fee or is it based on the weight or MSRP of the car?
Here in AZ we only pay sales tax if the car is bought from a dealer. Privet sales are excluded from paying tax. BUT our plate fee is based on the MSRP and that can run $600 and up say for a $40K car. It does come down some each year.
example, My 2008 Harley Motorcycle cost new $18,500 and the plate was $325 the 1st year.
Newcomers get a break on the Highway Use Tax (HUT) when moving into the state with their vehicles. The maximum HUT for them is $150. Once you're a state resident, you'll pay the full HUT on future vehicle purchases.

The current tag fee for private passenger vehicles is $28 unless you are a resident of Wake, Orange, Durham or Randolph counties which have a small additional surcharge. The HUT is one-time registration tax. The county based property tax on vehicles is annual and based on value. The motorcycle tag fee is $18. No sales tax is collected on vehicle purchases, only the HUT when you register.

NCDOT: License Plates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina