U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,669,795 times

Advertisements

I never went to this website but came across the WCNC.news and the story at 6 is

A brand new school in Union County is already overcrowded. Find out how the fastest growing school district in the state is trying to keep pace with future students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 05:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,386,746 times
That's just great. My school in Union County is new. Do you know which one?

Old 07-07-2006, 05:12 PM

No - I am in NYand its on NC news, I will see if I can find out and will post and let you know.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 PM

872 posts, read 3,291,389 times
There is one Elemenatary school opening in January 2007 and two opening in August 2007. One highschool opening in the fall. And one Middle school opening in January aswell.

Last edited by mountain_time_Blues; 07-07-2006 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 AM

I cannot find the specific school but here is a recent article re growth in union county schools.

A population boom seems to be an epidemic across the state, but in some counties the children are coming faster than the schools can keep up.

The Union County Public School System is the fastest growing district in North Carolina. The pace of projected growth means the school system expects to add 3,000 new students a year until the year 2014.

Talk to any parent in Union County and they can probably tell a story about the overcrowding of Union County Public Schools.

“When they build new schools, I think they need to build them bigger. My gosh they build them and in one year there's already trailers out back,

Simply put the problem is growth.

“We are the 16th fastest growing county in this nation,” said UCPS spokesperson Luan Ingram.

Ingram said the schools can't be built fast enough.

“We currently have 41 schools, 23 elementary, 8 middle, 8 high schools, and some special schools,” Ingram said.

Ten of those are new schools, built within the last five years. Many are already overcrowded.

"In 1996 we were at just over 19,000 students. When we look ahead at 2014, we are projecting that population to be at least 56,000 students,” Ingram said.

The district figures they need to build 25 new schools in the next eight years and Ingram said the community has proved to be supportive.

“We passed five bond referendums in the past six years totaling $327.7million. We are looking at another bond referendum this November,” Ingram said.

Ingram said they have not figured out the dollar amount yet for 2006, but she knows their best selling point.

“It is a very successful, high performing school system and we're proud that despite this growth we're able to maintain that,” Ingram said.

UCPS officials have set up a task force to look at ways to lower building costs. They are studying cost cutting measures from Lincoln County and other school districts such as building two story schools, using older existing buildings and less expensive designs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or