U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM

62 posts, read 150,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

downtown is complete garbage. its disgusting at night (the roach problem is INSANE) and during the day there isn't anything to do anyway.
Wow

Sounds like you have not been to Fayetteville since the 80's.....
Have you even BEEN to downtown Fayetteville in the last 5 years? I doubt it. That town has really cleaned itself up and done a 180 with it's core.
If anything, downtown Fayetteville is the NICEST part of town. I was there just a year ago and it is clean, quaint, historical and there is some nice new condo construction built DT that matches the old historical structures just fine.
It is the outer stretches of town on parts of Bragg Blvd and Murcheson that have the run down buildings, tattoo parlors, strip clubs, pawn shops, seedy motels... NOT the DT area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,639,444 times
last time i was in fayetteville was in 2008.
again, the roach problem is DISGUSTING. i'm actually going to visit someone in the next two weeks or so. i'll bring my iphone and *hopefully* capture what i'm talking about. i don't know how well it works at night (recording video using cycorder) so we'll see...

but i'm not exaggerating when i say that you can walk step after step and notice many roaches. you don't see it during the day but at night...oh boy.

and there's not much to do downtown, to be honest.

and i never said that downtown fayetteville has tattoo parlors, strip clubs, etc. i think that was someone else.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,218,618 times
I see.... you don't live here, you just come to visit.

Based on your "Yankee post" you might not ever be comfortable in the south.

I guess Fayetteville is as bad as Charlotte.

According to your old post....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ml#post9223953

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,513,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I see.... you don't live here, you just come to visit.

Based on your "Yankee post" you might not ever be comfortable in the south.

I guess Fayetteville is as bad as Charlotte.

According to your old post....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ml#post9223953
That's why Yankees who visit are just "yankees"...those that stay are "damned Yankees!"

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,639,444 times
i used to live there for 4 years.
now what do you have to say??
rednecks. you ppl slay me.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 4,480,200 times
I've been here for 3 years so far and we plan on being here for as long as we can. Its a days drive from home and close to all sorts of things. Out of all the places we could have gone, I am glad that we are here.
Fayetteville is not as bad as you are making it eek. Fayetteville, just like any other place you move to, is what your going to make of it.
Pretty much any place you go to in the south you have the "palmetto bug" aka roach.
There are parts of Fayetteville where you do hear Bragg doing their training excercises but honestly since we bought a house and moved off post....I dont hear it at all now.
There are things to do here. Now if you choose to get out and do them, thats a different story. Also there is alot of things that you can do with a few hours of driving. The beach, DC, Biltmore, mountains, the list goes on.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM

983 posts, read 3,513,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
There are parts of Fayetteville where you do hear Bragg doing their training excercises but honestly since we bought a house and moved off post....I dont hear it at all now.

I live out in the country, at least 40 minutes from Ft. Bragg and when they're doing heavy drills, we get the "boom boom" out here. It's not as often as it was years ago--probably due to the number of troops deployed the last few years---but we can occasionally tell when they're firing the "big guns" out there.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM

20 posts, read 107,659 times
Is Raleigh an expensive place to live? Keep in mind I am just a "blue collar worker", making about $10.00 an hour at jobs. We have very little income, but were just blessed with a small chunk of money---so we are FINALLY able to relocate.
We have $10,000 saved for our move. This would be to "live on" until we both find jobs. I know, don't tell me....its stupid to move WITHOUT having jobs. I know already. Please don't criticize, if you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it at all. I KNOW I would be taking a HUGE risk, but I am low maintanence, and I can either survive on little money HERE in Indiana, or move to NC. I prefer to move to be near my granddaughter.
Thanks.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,218,618 times
I chose to stay in NC after I retired from the USAF. I was not looking to go back to Indiana where I grew up due to the economic situation there. But, NC has the 8th highest unemployment rates in the US. I'd really do some research first. I think only home prices are less down here. The state govt. is looking to tax anything and everything they can right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM

731 posts, read 1,817,720 times
I've lived many, many places, and loved or liked the vast majority of them. Fayetteville is not one of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina