U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 AM

20 posts, read 107,628 times

Advertisements

I agree, I did not care for Fayetteville. I was suggested Lexington, NC. What do ya think? I've checked into apartment rental there and so far it seems real reasonable. Jobs? I KNOW NC is the 8th state in unemployment rate--I already researched! What people here on this forum don't understand is...I NEED to be near my granddaughter--and she's in Fayetteville, NC!! I want to be no more than like a 2-3 hour drive. My husband does residential construction/painting etc... how's that going in most of NC?
Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 AM

Default North Carolina or ??? What other State

Hi, Thanks for all the feedback to everyone! If anyone can think of a state or city that is no more than 2-3 hours away from Fayetteville, NC----please let me know!!!!

I agree, I did not care for Fayetteville. I was suggested Lexington, NC. What do ya think? I've checked into apartment rental there and so far it seems real reasonable. Jobs? I KNOW NC is the 8th state in unemployment rate--I already researched! What people here on this forum don't understand is...I NEED to be near my granddaughter--and she's in Fayetteville, NC!! I want to be no more than like a 1-3 hour drive. My husband does residential construction/painting, but he does NOT yet have his OWN business---so, how's that going in most of NC? Jobs?
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM

983 posts, read 3,512,512 times
If you want to be near your granddaughter, you don't have to live IN Fayetteville, but in the outskirts---Stedman, Eastover are nice quiet little towns, but within a 15 minute drive. Fayetteville is one of the few places where people are still buying/building houses and house prices haven't dropped into the basement.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Thank you very much!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,216,405 times
LRoyal is right. Fayetteville is still building and the real estate market is holding its own. Better odds to find a construction and/or painting job here. Also look into contact jobs on Fort Bragg. This is the big one building the Forces Command building.

FORSCOM / USARC Combined Headquarters Construction Project

Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM

21 posts, read 60,229 times
I am another outsider who has come to Fayetteville from Illinois. Here is my impression. I have met some very lovely people here who take pride in their community and really enjoy living here. These loyalists are also offended of any negativity toward the town. While it isn't the pits, in comparison to other larger communities in NC, Fayetteville is lacking in a lot of areas. Fayetteville is surrounded by ugly sprawl, fast food chain after fast food chain, abandoned buildings, strip clubs, used car lots, and junk. The nice tree lined street is the exception here. For example, I live in a nice family oriented neighborhood near thee Harris Teeter and there is a very large field of abandoned old and rusting trailors from semis just sitting beside the entrance to my neighborhood. This kind of thing is all over the city! For a city this size, there is a lack of parks and trails too. I have been to the Botanical gardens and the Cape Fear River trail. But that's it! There are few non-chain restaurants here and most of the restaurants are along another ugly strip of road or in an ugly stip mall. Could the city plant some trees and put some more green in the landscape? So much flat concrete. There isn't any desirable shopping here either. I had to go to Raleigh to purchase a business suit and a dress to wear to a wedding. The mall is awful (in my opinion). The downtown is cute and has potential, but it's too bad there hasn't been much city planning over the years. I dont' mean to offend anyone really or bash someone's beloved city. But the reality is -- because I have spoken to many many people from Fayetteville and from elsewhere living here---most people do have VERY negative things to say about it here. However, maybe by voicing concerns, things could get cleaned up a bit. Greenville SC is a small city and they have done amazing things with the downtown. Fayetteville could learn a thing or two from that community. My job is trying to get me to stay here but I am having trouble with the thought of it.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 PM

512 posts, read 1,433,067 times
I agree with both LROYAL's views and smkalmer's views. I think Fayetteville is definitely a diamond in the rough and has potential. I also believe that they need to build more than just housing developments and really build out downtown and other parts of the city. I didn't really understand why they built a jail downtown. Just doesn't scream out exciting to me.

I truly believe that Fayetteville and draw it's strengths from the Military and the Brac as well as Fayetteville State. In order for people to find and draw interest in the city, they have to look forward to something. That begins with job creation not only that but high income jobs (This is where Fayetteville state come in to play). Once I have a decent wage of living then I can afford a house and partake of shopping. Not just any old Chain restaurants and department stores. Locally owned. This helps everyone and creates a uniqueness about the city.

I will give credit though. Fayetteville is definitely trying, but I hope they go past the mentality of "just trying" and begin to really thrust forward in development.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,361 times
Just curious how your search is going, Tinmat?

We live in Lillington, about halfway between Fay. and Raleigh, and the county seat of Harnett Co. We love it here, and it escaped the mishmash envinronment you've seen thanks to lax zoning laws for decades in Cumberland County.

A couple of thing I didn't see mentioned (and if they were, forgive me!)

If you husband is in consturction, roadwork, just about anything of that ilk, Fort Bragg will be one of the places to be in the Southeast for the next several years. There will be work ... nice, juicy government supported work ... going on for a long time.

Some folks mentioned Sanford early on, and its a good spot that (like Lillington) is halfway between the two cities. It's also larger than Lillington with its own hospital and doctor's offices, much more shopping and such. North of Spring Lake (where you DO NOT want to be) there are several newer subdivisions in the country.

I guess the question would be whether you wish to live in the country, small town or a city? Once you get away from the halo effect of RDU, housing costs are manageable (except in places like Haymount or VanStory).

FWIW, especially for the nay-sayers, we moved here from California when my daughter was an infant. We're not wealthy by any means, not at all ingratiated with the upper crust of this town or have a vested interest in cheerleading for the town.

My daughter says this is the best place she could have grown up ... which is exactly what I say about my hometown (Charleston).

When you're looking at what makes a town great or awful, the first place to look is in the mirror.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,016 times
My personal take on Fayetteville, which I hope helps you in some way, is that it has a lot of growing up to do. The construction is not that big here anymore like it was. I used to wire houses and businesses in Fayetteville and Dunn, NC. A lot of businesses are laying people off left and right. The better jobs are actually within Fort Bragg limits. I have lived in Fayetteville for 15 years and smkalmer is right. A lot of the buildings in Fayetteville are old and they very much look like it. This city really is just trying to get by and nothing more. I currently live in Massey Hill. I live about 2 minutes from downtown. After being here this long, I am ready to move out. About the only things to really do here is go drinking or go to strip clubs. I've been to most of the restraunts here and most of the entertainment businesses. Fayetteville is not a place to go out and do great things for younger people. It's mostly older based and older based money. Only certain parts of the city are beautiful. Once you get to looking around though, it's all about how many people can fayetteville fit into one little area and how much money can they squeeze out of them. If you are smart you would lived a decent distance away into one of the outter areas and find a job there and just visit. That's the best way to see Fayetteville.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 12,537 times
Default Relocating to Fayetteville

My son (27) just got a job with a contractor at Ft. Bragg. Wondering what apartment complexes would be nice for him to live in. Has to be pet friendly as he has 2 small dogs. We were looking online at some apartments in Hope Mills. Just not sure what area would be best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina