U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 46,121 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

On memorial holiday 2009, I was given 2 traffic citation's in Dinwiddie county, VA. a the same time.

1. Speeding ticket (82MPH in 70MPH zone)
2. having radar detector visible, (this was stupid at the inter-state the board says, detectors are illegal, so we disconnected it from the power outlet but never removed from the dash board)

My questions are :
1. does speeding ticket points carry over from VA to NC.
2. I talked to an attorney but his fees is big time RIP off ($250.00) + court fines of $125. He however mentioned that he knows the trooper well and can clean up the ticket under "defective equipment" clause.

$250 is too much, I would like to just go to the court and let the judge hear me. But if y'all humble readers know otherwise, plz let me know. The best case would be to go pay the fine and not have to see the points carry over. My court date is next week, so plz help.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM

2,111 posts, read 4,053,261 times
NC and VA are both members of the Driver's License Compact which allows them to share traffic violations.
Without knowing your situation I would expect your auto insurance will take a fairly big increase. The attorney would appear to be the least cost way out - which, of course, he knows too ...

I should caveat that this info comes from an independent insurance agent that I trust as opposed to personal experience.

Frank

Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,699,442 times
Almost all states have reciprocal agreements now. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 that don't with certain other states, but you can pretty much guarantee that in this situation it will.

If you know you're driving into Virginia or DC (only 2 localities that radar detectors are illegal), then you need to disconnect the detector and not have it within your reach. Best thing to do is put it in your trunk or in the very back of your vehicle, if you do not have a trunk.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,578,894 times
I will tell you my experience with the VA court system.

If you go in there and waste their time they toss the book at you. Anyone that I saw with a excuse and no lawyer was getting the a fine and no reduction. That was in Fairfax County. I was there for 4 hours with my lawyer so I probably saw 20-30 ppl, my ticket was reckless so slightly worse that yours I got off with a reduced fine and charge, anyone else there without a lawyer got NOTHING done for them.

Now on the points, I got a ticket in PA for speeding, it showed up on my Maryland record with no points. All the state DMV share ticket info as far as I was told at my mandated defensive driving course. Long arm of the law and all.

BTW I had Geico at the time, I had 2 tickets and 2 minor accidents (less thant 2000 dollar claims) before they raised my insurance. They probably won't even find out about your ticket until they audit your record during a renew period, took them 2 years to catch up to me and it wasn't that bad of an increase.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,860,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runlevel0 View Post
$250 is too much,
Typically that will raise your insurance premiums 40% for 3 years, your call

Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 PM

71 posts, read 212,725 times
i did get a ticket in Dinwidde county too....60 zone 80 mph! You can call a few attorneys and lowest i found was around 200. this is recent too!
but yes, you points do carry forward to NC and ur insurance will spike! its better off to pay one time.
Its easy to detect non VA vehicles in VA...VS registered vehicles has a plate in the front...NC doesnt!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 46,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
i did get a ticket in Dinwidde county too....60 zone 80 mph! You can call a few attorneys and lowest i found was around 200. this is recent too!
could you plz share the info of the attorney you have used.. thanks everyone for their posts/advice.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,915,011 times
My speeding ticket from Virginia (67/55 on I-81) finally appeared to my insurance company 2.5 years later.

This latest 6 month insurance renewal took a good increase due to the ticket. But, my agent tells me that the ticket surcharge will go away for my next renewal this coming Fall.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,633,036 times
If I were you, I'd hire the lawyer.

We came here from a state where a speeding ticket does not affect your insurance rates. So when my husband got a ticket for going 80 in a 70 zone, he just paid it. Six months later we moved to NC. Unlike the above individuals, our insurance carrier found my husband's speeding ticket right away. We had to pay much higher insurance rates for 3 years because of that one little ticket. It definitely cost us a lot more than $250.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina