Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 AM

46 posts, read 246,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Chimney Rock Park - http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

Biltmore Estate - www.biltmore.com

Grandfather Mountain - www.grandfather.com
I drove through Lake Lure last spring and while it was quiet then, it looked like a real tourist trap. That's my impression/opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers345 View Post
I drove through Lake Lure last spring and while it was quiet then, it looked like a real tourist trap. That's my impression/opinion.
I live 13 miles from Lake Lure. Never thought much of it either other than the surrounding scenery of Hickory Nut Gorge area and a summertime retreat for the Flatlanders.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I live 13 miles from Lake Lure. Never thought much of it either other than the surrounding scenery of Hickory Nut Gorge area and a summertime retreat for the Flatlanders.
But the drive from Asheville down to Chimney Rock - wow! That is 25 miles of beauty for sure all along the river, I love it. I would recommend that drive (74A) to anyone who hasn't been to Chimney Rock. Also, have you actually ever climbed to the top of Chimney Rock? The trails there are not extreme and yet afford you some awesome views looking back toward Lake Lure. I like being able to recognize where scenes from one of favorite movies was filmed too, Last of the Mohicans

Old 04-19-2007, 03:12 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,259 times
The shops in the "village" of Chimney Rock are tourist traps, but the actual park itself is great.

I think 74A is a nice road. Would you believe that my driver's training instructor had me drive up NC 9 to Lake Lure, then take 74A to Asheville and around I-240? My second day of driving! It was 176 the day before. That man must not be afraid of anything. But, I did great! Maybe that's why I get frustrated with the, uh, Flatlanders/Lowlanders driving; I've been taking these curves since day one!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But the drive from Asheville down to Chimney Rock - wow! That is 25 miles of beauty for sure all along the river, I love it. I would recommend that drive (74A) to anyone who hasn't been to Chimney Rock. Also, have you actually ever climbed to the top of Chimney Rock? The trails there are not extreme and yet afford you some awesome views looking back toward Lake Lure. I like being able to recognize where scenes from one of favorite movies was filmed too, Last of the Mohicans
My previous post was about the Town of Lake Lure. The soon to be Chimney Rock State Park & Hickory Nut Gorge in general is still a must see for my area, but I'd pass on Lake Lure.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
Quote:
Chimney Rock Park - http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

Biltmore Estate - www.biltmore.com

Grandfather Mountain - www.grandfather.com
Thanks, i appreciate this information!!!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
Default Enjoy the beauty of the area

When in NC, come to the mountains and enjoy a day at the Biltmore. Try to do things outdoors. Shop downtown and stay away from the malls. Downtown Asheville has the funkiest shops! If you are here on June 22nd and June 23rd, checkout the Hogs and Ponies event at Gene Lummus Harley. If you like Harley's and Mustangs, this is an event to check out! Go to our website at
www.blueridgemustangclubofasheville (broken link) and check it out!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:08 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Charlotte - The U.S. National Whitewater Center, Carowinds Theme Park, and the many things to do uptown or on the lakes.

Asheville - Many hiking areas, Biltmore Estate, downtown, Blue Ridge Pkwy. Stunning mountain scenery.

Mt. Airy - Hometown of Andy Griffith and the model for the town of Mayberry. VERY charming little town with things to do and see. We visit often.

Southern Pines/Pinehurst - Especially if you like golf. Very nice area.

Raleigh - The museums in the downtown area. Beautiful college campus'.

Outter Banks Region - One of the most beautiful areas in the nation. There's an island (Roanke Island, I think) where wild stallions roam freely. It's a very breathtaking, beautiful area.

Wilmington - Historical. Nice family beaches.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:02 PM

36 posts, read 109,416 times
If you go east, go to Nags Head and turn south and go to Cape Hatteras, taking time to stop on some undisturbed beach. Go on down to the ferry over to Okracoke Island and eat at Howards Pub. Get a slot on the ferry (4 hours) and go over to Cedar Island and stay the night in New Bern. It is a very worthwhile trip.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:25 PM

62 posts, read 322,089 times
Default Try the Grove Park Inn

Since you will be in the Asheville area, do go and see the Grove Park Inn as well. Ride the elevator that is hidden behind the fireplace to the second floor. A lot of folks do not know about that little elevator. The Inn has a great history of how it was built. There is small museum on site to tell the tory as well. The fireplaces in the lobby are HUGE. You would have to see them to believe it. Oh and it is free. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina