Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 71,306 times

Advertisements

I'm driving to NC with some friends in June just to explore the state and take in the sites. So far the only definite thing on our agenda is Biltmore. Anyone have any suggestions for any other "must see's" while we're there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,270,225 times
Weather should be great in June I hope you enjoy your trip. You didnt state how long you will be in the area but I probably say check out things in the Asheville area. Linville Caverns, Waterfalls, Little Switzerland, Mt Mitchellm, Chimney Rock

Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,257,807 times
Will y'all be staying in the mountains the whole time, or will you be traveling as far as the coast? If you're also going to the coast, visit one of the aquariums (Roanoke Island, Pine Knoll Shores or Ft. Fisher), at least one lighthouse (Cape Hatteras is the most popular), Ft. Macon, Orton Plantation (though it'll probably be pretty hot there and mosquito-y lol), go on a dolphin cruise (Outer Banks or Topsail Beach), and just enjoy the sand and surf.

In Wilmington, you can take a trolley tour or a horse-drawn carriage tour (my family & I enjoy that), take a river cruise or dinner cruise on the Henrietta river boat, tour the USS North Carolina battleship, visit the Bellamy Mansion and the Museum of the Cape Fear. Poplar Grove Plantation is also nearby.

There are museums in Raleigh (if you stop there), if you're into that.

I hope y'all have a great time!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM

80 posts, read 460,455 times
Yes, a lot of it will depend on how much time you have and where you'll be. I've lived all over the state, and there are plenty of gems. I agree with SunnyKayak's list if you're just staying in the mountains. Visiting the Grove Park Inn, an Asheville landmark, would also be high on my list. Lake Lure, located near Chimney Rock, is also worth a visit. Dirty Dancing was filmed there. Granfather Mountain should be a consideration as well.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 71,306 times
Default Thanks

Thanks all. I really appreciate your taking the time to write. We're not sure how long we'll be there. Could be a week...or maybe two. We've all heard a lot about NC, so we're really looking forward to it!

Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM

46 posts, read 245,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMea View Post
Thanks all. I really appreciate your taking the time to write. We're not sure how long we'll be there. Could be a week...or maybe two. We've all heard a lot about NC, so we're really looking forward to it!
Check out to see if Rhododendrons are in bloom on Roan Mountain. ("61st Roan Mountain Rhododendron Festival will be Saturday and Sunday, June 23-24, 2007." ) Been wanting to do that but have missed the right time. It'Asheville part of the state is beautiful. Take a drive on Rt. 64 which is at Hendersonville... another nice town. Take it going south. At Brevard there is Pisgah Forest with beautiful waterfalls, Sliding Rock. Further south is Lake Toxaway, Cashiers and Highlands. Highlands has lots to do as far as shopping, restaurants, playhouse, etc. Outside of Asheville is the NC Arboretium which is beautiful and then of course the Blue Ridge Parkway...

Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,888,125 times
You simpley can't miss driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy. (runs through Asheville). The outterbanks area, U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, Mt. Airy (the real model for "Mayberry"), Lake Lure area, Highlands.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 AM

889 posts, read 3,107,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaughtry View Post
Yes, a lot of it will depend on how much time you have and where you'll be. I've lived all over the state, and there are plenty of gems. I agree with SunnyKayak's list if you're just staying in the mountains. Visiting the Grove Park Inn, an Asheville landmark, would also be high on my list. Lake Lure, located near Chimney Rock, is also worth a visit. Dirty Dancing was filmed there. Granfather Mountain should be a consideration as well.
Can you tell me more about Lake Lure, Chimmy Rock etc?? I am living in Mooresville now but have family comming to visit starting next week. Now i have to play tourist and find some things to do .What exactly is there to see at both places and would it be interesting for a couple of woman in their 60's???
Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated

Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,918,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Can you tell me more about Lake Lure, Chimmy Rock etc?? I am living in Mooresville now but have family comming to visit starting next week. Now i have to play tourist and find some things to do .What exactly is there to see at both places and would it be interesting for a couple of woman in their 60's???
Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated
Chimney Rock Park - http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

Biltmore Estate - www.biltmore.com

Grandfather Mountain - www.grandfather.com

Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM

99 posts, read 521,222 times
If you like to trek/Camping, here are few places like Crowder's State Park, Kings Mountain. If tour is flexible enough and have no other plans, you can also visit Smoky Mountains which are not very far from NC. June will be a good time for rafting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina