U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,321,074 times

Advertisements

So I mention passive aggressive and now you come out swinging.
Well, I for one have not made any negative statements about the south or asked any southerners to change their ways.

Oh, and the tiny comment, well I thought yall southun belles were too coy to talk about that sort of thing. FWIW, thats about the only funny thing that I have seen out of you or Uncle Foghorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I am perfectly polite to everyone until some arrogant ass from somewhere else open their pie hole about all the things that are wrong with the south, and how great things are back in _____________, or how the did it back in ____________.

I'm not a push over either, and once a damn outsider opens the door of rude talk, insults, criticism, well guess what my reaction will be. There is a place for manners, and a time to take the gloves off. I know and practice the difference, also part of my southern persona.

Well bless your heart...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 PM

206 posts, read 387,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post

It has nothing to do with education or sound minds. I bet I hear someone say "yankee" everyday. Probably close to 99% of natives I know say it. Some frequently. To southerners it's not an equivalent to redneck, hillbilly etc. To draw those words as comparisons doesn't make sense to us. It's like trying to interchange giraffe and tire.
In the South, what is the definition of redneck? Not trying to be funny, but from what I experienced, it means the complete opposite of what it means up here. Maybe means different things in different Southern states also?

This isn't directed at Paper
We answered honestly, I don't understand why people are attacking us. The people in this thread didn't create the culture here. You may strongly disagree with the culture but it is "normal" to us. Just like our culture is "normal" to us. You may feel it is very wrong but it isn't malignant to us. Some seem to feel that their opinion should trump ours. The friends I have or myself are not like that at all. Although, I believe there are many people in the world that argue about who is right everyday. That they are right and we are ignorant or backwards. Most of us don't think like that, contrary to what one believes. know that I can accept that others may have a different perspective than I do. Can you?

I've just said how I have been treated in the places I have visited. I can't speak for anybody else or about any other states I haven't been to yet.

Most people I know aren't offended by terms that don't apply. You might say all Carolinians are ignorant hillbillies. Fine. Doesn't bother me cause I'm not ignorant nor a hillbilly. I think there is a big misconception about the weight "yankee" carries. Personally I don't get it. It's clearly defined in the dictionary and commonly used in the same sense. It's like calling a two month old a baby. That's what it is. It certainly not a teenager or an adult.

Yes, but Yankee is not what we call each other up here. It sounds so ancient. I would never be offended by it, unless if it were used in a derogatory way. We can all be proud of were we are from.

Again - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Yankee

[permanently exits thread]
Be good.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,324,048 times
Just an anecdote that seems ironically relevant to this discussion. Two nights ago I was at one of our local taverns, sitting at the bar and eating, and a gentleman from Charlotte, NC who has been transfered here by BoA was asking me about the location of the DE state fair, which is about to start and will have some pretty major CW performers. So I got into a conversation with him. I thought he conveyed a really bad attitude about living in Delaware and also hadn't seen any of the cool stuff here, even though he'd been here since February. I know he was disappointed, frustrated and a bit angry that Bank of America had transferred him here after he apparently thought that he and his wife were permanently settled in NC, his home state (and after having been transferred all over the country in years past). But even though I'm not a native Delawarean and have lived here just shy of two years, I couldn't help feeling a bit resentful of his attitude. He wasn't trying to make the best of things, was isolating himself and not exploring any of the history, countryside and beaches of this state, and then was complaining about the awfulness of having to live here for a couple of years. Again, I understood the basis of his frustrations in having to leave NC, but he wasn't being fair to DE and was just making himself more unhappy (or at least not any happier). At least he was expressing some interest in the concerts at the state fair!

So, it was just a good object lesson for me not to repeat the same sort of behaviour if I move somewhere else.

BTW, I also felt like telling him "Dude, you aren't living in Massachusetts or Long Island, for goodness sake! This is Delaware -- a little Mid-Atlantic backwater, much of it rural and agricultural, with a lot of little towns -- it's not "Yankeeland", whatever you may think." But I didn't, of course.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,200,155 times
Sounds like he wouldn't have been happy anywhere he moved. For the life of me I don't understand why people just don't make the best of a situation. Why do some people just seem to want to be unhappy? And if you have a job that you know will transfer you at times why keep it if you hate to move? I understand it now with the economy but it seems he has has that job for awhile.

My son-in-law is in the Coast Guard, a "lifer" and I went over and over with my daughter about the possibility of continually moving after they got married. She accepts it because she loves him and wants to be with him. So be it.

I don't know. If it was me I would be exploring the heck out the area.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:46 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,644,085 times
Default reply

I understand that there is a Yankee Magazine. The Colonial Athletic Association was called the Yankee Conference until a few years ago. There are self proclaimed Yankee Craftsmen. YankeeCandle.com, yankee handyman pushdrill etc etc. Get over it. Most every proud Southerner properly refers to anyone born above the Mason-Dixon as a Yankee. We were Rebels and the other side was Yankees. We are not the slight bit offended by being called Rebels, or Reb or Johnny Reb. Your soldiers called themselves Billy Yank. Be proud to be a Yankee. I am damn proud to be a native of one of the original CSA. Deo Vindice.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I don't recall anybody on this thread saying how things are done in the North. Maybe I missed it.

But......
In this thread, probably not, but I've heard it hundreds of times in the real world from the yankees and half backs that have moved here and ***** and moans and complain about damn near everything southern. Then they try and change things to be like what they think they were escaping.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM

206 posts, read 387,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
In this thread, probably not, but I've heard it hundreds of times in the real world from the yankees and half backs that have moved here and ***** and moans and complain about damn near everything southern. Maybe because everything is so ass-backwards down there. Then they try and change things to be like what they think they were escaping.
And the Southerners never ***** right? I met some real whiners down there, believe me. Bitching at me saying Union soldiers raped there women, and so on.... Like it was my fault. My ancestors were not even in this country at the time of the Civil War. They didn't even know me, but got to know me real quick.

I have a girlfriend that lives in Tennessee(grew up in Michigan though) and used to go through some crap from her white trash neighbors. My friend is not a trouble maker. I told her I would come down there and take care of it. She said; "no. I will end up kicked out of here and you will be in jail." I asked her how she knew I was going to jail. She said; "because I know you. You don't put up with crap."

I treat people like they treat me. If they are nice to me, I treat them with the same respect. If they get nasty, I get nastier.

Maybe someday I'll tell you the story of when my friend's husband died and I got to meet his family from down there. I made a whole funeral home full of people move real quick. Actually, looking back, it was quite comical.

My son lives down and has to put up with **** daily from his boss, on how bad the North is. He is coming up here this month to Michigan and told his boss. His boss asked him why anybody would want to go to Detroit on their vacation. My son told him; "because that is where I am from." His boss looked at him and replied; "so that explains why you are like you are." My son wanted to knock him out right there on the spot, but held it in, because he didn't want to lose his job and they have a second child coming soon.

After reading more of these nasty posts about us "Yankees" it starts getting to you. Some of you don't have a clue.

Half back sounds a little like wet back. Please don't go there. I am asking nicely too.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
Like it was my fault. My ancestors were not even in this country at the time of the Civil War. They didn't even know me, but got to know me real quick.
It ain't got a damn thing to do with the civil war, but those that don't have a clue rush to use that as their point of contention. It is about the quality of life, pace of life, and peaceful persona one finds in the south, or did before we became overrun with arrogant yankees

Quote:
After reading more of these nasty posts about us "Yankees" it starts getting to you. Some of you don't have a clue.
You simply jumped in to find rebuttal to a bunch of arrogant azz yankees trying to belittle everything. The finest and most tolerant people you will ever find are southerners, until you pizz us off.

Quote:
Half back sounds a little like wet back. Please don't go there. I am asking nicely too.
Learn the vernacular, a half back is a yankee that moved to Florida and couldn't take the heat/humidity and move "half way back", but is still a yankee with a tan and Florida plates on their car.

And finely, DO NOT add to my statement when you quote me must be a typical rude yankee trait.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 AM

218 posts, read 1,311,093 times
I was told there were 2 kinds of yankees. a yankee and a d#$! yankee.
a yankee is from up north and a d. yankee is to stupid to get on the bus to go back home.
I'm a d@#m yankee.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,324,048 times
This is such a long thread that I wouldn't have the patience to read through it. However ISTM that within the USA itself, the term Yankee is historically properly applied to the states of New England only; maybe NY too, but I'm not sure about that. New Jersey was a primarily agricultural state prior to the Civil War and didn't fit into the New England manufacturing, shipbuilding and urban shopkeeping society that tended to define Yankee culture. Yet today I would tend to see inhabitants of NJ and PA as Yankees too. I don't think of this being true for Delaware and Maryland, even though both states - especially MD in the DC area - are full of Yankee transplants.

When I lived in Texas we tended to call anyone from the Northeast or Upper Midwest yankees, but I quit using the term years ago because it seems silly, imprecise, devisive and insulting in its intent (explicitly or implicitly depending on context and speaker).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina