U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 AM

206 posts, read 387,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It ain't got a damn thing to do with the civil war, but those that don't have a clue rush to use that as their point of contention. It is about the quality of life, pace of life, and peaceful persona one finds in the south, or did before we became overrun with arrogant yankees

You simply jumped in to find rebuttal to a bunch of arrogant azz yankees trying to belittle everything. The finest and most tolerant people you will ever find are southerners, until you pizz us off.

Learn the vernacular, a half back is a yankee that moved to Florida and couldn't take the heat/humidity and move "half way back", but is still a yankee with a tan and Florida plates on their car.

And finely, DO NOT add to my statement when you quote me must be a typical rude yankee trait.
If it doesn't have a damn thing to do with the Civil War, then why do I hear that every time I go down there? I have heard the other things you speak of also. We didn't make it up, it does happen.

When I started noticing these things, which didn't take too long. I asked people why do that hate us so much in the South? What happened to the Southern hospitality I hear so much about? He replied; "there are some people down here that have never gotten over losing that war. There are good people down here that don't think like that, but not too many. Don't let them change your opinion of us. They are just stuck in their ways."

From what I know, people can move anywhere they want in this country. You don't own the states down there, like up here, we don't own them either. BTW-you will find arrogance anywhere. Us Northerners don't hold a patent on that one.

There are many places in the North that have the same "quality of life, pace of life, and peaceful persona." Contrary to what you may think, a lot of us don't live in a big city.

If you have became overrun with arrogant Yankees, then do something about it, instead of b*tching about it.

When you say: The finest and most tolerant people you will ever find are southerners, until you pizz us off. I beg to differ. I know first-hand what happens when a Southerner gets pissed off at us when visiting down there and we didn't start it, but we sure as heck finished it.

When down there one time last Fall, a cousin of my son's girlfriend called me a "Yankee B*tch." He done this in the presence of the police, whom I had to call after he threatened me on the phone that he was coming over there to physically throw me out of the house, which his father owned. My son and his girlfriend were renting one of the houses his father owned. There were a lot of repairs that were needed and I told them to withhold the rent until they were fixed. You can do that up here. Found out later, that landlords can get away with it down there. That state anyway.

Before I flew down there he had came over to the house and was screaming at son's gf while she was holding her infant. I could hear it over the phone. I knew this guy beat his wife also, that is why I was so concerned, plus the fact that he was big. If he had shown up before the police though, I wouldn't have hesitated to use a weapon. I also informed the 911 operator of this. When he called me a "Yankee B*itch, I burst out laughing, as did the police. I told him that we won that war, you lost. Get over it. I asked the police, why do they call us that? They said it was just a Southern thing.

That wasn't the worst thing I had encountered down there.

I was supposed to stay for a month, but paid extra to airline to go back after 2 weeks. I was never so happy in my life to be back in Detroit. Was supposed to go back this month, but told Son, I had such a horrible experience down there the last time, that I didn't want to go down there and would instead, pay for them to come up here.

You may have your own definition of "half back", but the sound of that word to us, will definitely be taken in another matter entirely. That's not part of our vocabulary up here.

"DO NOT add to my statement when you quote me must be a typical rude yankee trait" you say? I only did that in case you didn't know what I was referring to. It has nothing to do with arrogance. What school did you go to anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This is such a long thread that I wouldn't have the patience to read through it. However ISTM that within the USA itself, the term Yankee is historically properly applied to the states of New England only; maybe NY too, but I'm not sure about that. New Jersey was a primarily agricultural state prior to the Civil War and didn't fit into the New England manufacturing, shipbuilding and urban shopkeeping society that tended to define Yankee culture. Yet today I would tend to see inhabitants of NJ and PA as Yankees too. I don't think of this being true for Delaware and Maryland, even though both states - especially MD in the DC area - are full of Yankee transplants.

When I lived in Texas we tended to call anyone from the Northeast or Upper Midwest yankees, but I quit using the term years ago because it seems silly, imprecise, devisive and insulting in its intent (explicitly or implicitly depending on context and speaker).
Exactly! Great post.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,990,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post

You may have your own definition of "half back", but the sound of that word to us, will definitely be taken in another matter entirely. That's not part of our vocabulary up here.
There ya go, bitching about how things are different in the south, and and how it is 'up here'. Trust me every southerner knows exactly what is meant by the term 'half back'.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: And every Northern knows what the "Bless your heart" means.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There ya go, bitching about how things are different in the south, and and how it is 'up here'. Trust me every southerner knows exactly what is meant by the term 'half back'.

Well bless your heart..........................
I am just saying how "half back" would be taken up here. it sounds like an insult. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lighten up, will you?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 41,412 times
Default I'm from Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i noticed that ppl on here use this word a lot...do ppl actually say this in real life when referring to ppl from the NE??

i'm not trying to be funny, i'm just curious.
Hi. I am originally from Philadelphia. I have lived in the South for 20 years. Unfortunately, it still does not feel like home to me because there exists a deep seated hostility towards Northerners and "foreigners".

Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,249,180 times
I worked closely with a Southern co-worker at a major RTP employer. We always got along great.

One fine Monday morning, out of the blue, as the first conversation of the day, she decided to tell me that her husband (who was originally from a wealthy Atlanta family) "hated Yankees." She told me he won't talk to them, won't look at them, that he absolutely hated them.

I was dumbstruck. All I could think of was he was probably racist, too.

I did ask, "Why?" The answer was, "Because, he just does." She made no mention of whether or not she agreed with him.

I stopped talking to her that day unless it was absolutely necessary.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I worked closely with a Southern co-worker at a major RTP employer. We always got along great.

One fine Monday morning, out of the blue, as the first conversation of the day, she decided to tell me that her husband (who was originally from a wealthy Atlanta family) "hated Yankees." She told me he won't talk to them, won't look at them, that he absolutely hated them.

I was dumbstruck. All I could think of was he was probably racist, too.

I did ask, "Why?" The answer was, "Because, he just does." She made no mention of whether or not she agreed with him.

I stopped talking to her that day unless it was absolutely necessary.
Good for you. I wouldn't have talked to her anymore either.

I'm just curious as to how many Southerners hate the Northerners as opposed to the opposite? Not even close. Sad.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,324,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Good for you. I wouldn't have talked to her anymore either.

I'm just curious as to how many Southerners hate the Northerners as opposed to the opposite? Not even close. Sad.

Just certain Southerners who hang on to the Northern aggression. Let it go, the inferiority complex that you carry is embarrassing. Yes, we know that you don't think that you have one, that is what makes it so sad.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Just certain Southerners who hang on to the Northern aggression. Let it go, the inferiority complex that you carry is embarrassing. Yes, we know that you don't think that you have one, that is what makes it so sad.
Huh? I don't have an inferiority complex. Far from it.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
You must be from New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina