U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,321,169 times

Advertisements

anifani821, I don't think you're particularly interested in how and why these people are as they are, but I do wonder what would explain such behaviour. After all, there are people in the Northeast who are quite interested in conservation. A couple of things occur to me. One is that it is a particular subset of people who would choose the geriatric ghettos of urban coastal Florida for retirement (Yuck!). I suspect it's people who have lived highly urbanised lives and who haven't concerned themselves with the preservation of natural resources in their original home states, cause they lived in NYC or some other very urban place. They also are likely IMO to have low cultural interests, because they would otherwise be more inclined to move to places in the South with real history, like Charleston. Then, of course, Florida's so bloody hot and humid in the summer that they need to be somewhere cooler and discover the mountains of western Carolina -- where they really don't fit in at all, because thankfully they're still a minority there but more troublesomely they've never had any appreciation of conservation, leaving things alone, and not planting developments all over woodlands and productive agricultural land. So these people are really Ugly Americans -- the same people who go abroad and expect everything to be just like it is back home (or like the equally Ugly Brits who retire to their little colonies in Spain and avoid interacting with the locals).

You've got my sympathy! What you desperately need to do is develop and stringently enforce really strict building and property development codes at the local level, and vote in only county officials who are strong environmentalists and ultra-prudent about development. I've seen the hillsides around Austin, TX ruined by imprudent development. Now I live in a beautiful little corner of Appalachian Piedmont in the tip of northern Delaware, where we are having to fight a mindless developer whose sole purpose in life seems to be to build, even when there's no market for his damn projects. It's a problem everywhere I guess, but it's up to the local citizens to put a stop to mindless development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
anifani821, I don't think you're particularly interested in how and why these people are as they are, but I do wonder what would explain such behaviour. After all, there are people in the Northeast who are quite interested in conservation. A couple of things occur to me. One is that it is a particular subset of people who would choose the geriatric ghettos of urban coastal Florida for retirement (Yuck!). I suspect it's people who have lived highly urbanised lives and who haven't concerned themselves with the preservation of natural resources in their original home states, cause they lived in NYC or some other very urban place. They also are likely IMO to have low cultural interests, because they would otherwise be more inclined to move to places in the South with real history, like Charleston. Then, of course, Florida's so bloody hot and humid in the summer that they need to be somewhere cooler and discover the mountains of western Carolina -- where they really don't fit in at all, because thankfully they're still a minority there but more troublesomely they've never had any appreciation of conservation, leaving things alone, and not planting developments all over woodlands and productive agricultural land. So these people are really Ugly Americans -- the same people who go abroad and expect everything to be just like it is back home (or like the equally Ugly Brits who retire to their little colonies in Spain and avoid interacting with the locals).

You've got my sympathy! What you desperately need to do is develop and stringently enforce really strict building and property development codes at the local level, and vote in only county officials who are strong environmentalists and ultra-prudent about development. I've seen the hillsides around Austin, TX ruined by imprudent development. Now I live in a beautiful little corner of Appalachian Piedmont in the tip of northern Delaware, where we are having to fight a mindless developer whose sole purpose in life seems to be to build, even when there's no market for his damn projects. It's a problem everywhere I guess, but it's up to the local citizens to put a stop to mindless development.
Jef . . . this is not a discussion about public policy. We all know full well what we can do to protect our environment - and we also know that when developers come in and flash money around, there will always be those on city and county governments more than willing to take the cash (tax revenue).

You wanted to know why people get labeled Yankees. I have posted quite a few times on this thread trying to explain it. It is an attitude that people bring with them.

The people who don't bring that kind of attitude settle into the community, make friends, and are welcomed. Those who don't are the people I am speaking of.

And you know . . . to be absolutely frank about it . . . I am getting really tired of being part of a group of people who continually gets stereotyped (Southerners) and you sure don't see anyone standing up rallying against that - so to ask me to be PC about labeling someone a "Damn Yankee" falls on deaf ears. It is what it is. As long as folks move here w/ misconceptions about Southerners and an air of total arrogant dismissal and a condescending attitude to those who have lived here for 150 + years (and liked our world just fine as it was) - and whose children will live here long after these newcomers are dead and gone . . . I will express my displeasure any way I see fit.

What aggravates me most about this discussion, as it were, is that my friends who have moved here from both the NE and Florida are quick to point out how embarrassed they are at the behavior of these people, too - and feel these folks give newcomers a "bad reputation." So it isn't just me that sees it and realizes WHY the natives here wish the Great Migration from the Northeast would cease.

ETA: Or if the migration were not to cease . . . at least that folks coming here would learn to show a little respect towards those who have made this state our home since b/f the Revolutionary War. For example, to those who don't think this state is "progressive" enough . . . who cares? Move somewhere else where folks espouse what you espouse. Coming here and then insisting that everyone march to your drum - and belittling those who don't - is sheer idiocy. If I moved to Boston, I would be keeping my opinions to myself if I didn't agree w/ the laws of the state - or the political leanings of my neighbors and coworkers.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-03-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,321,169 times
Probably time for this thread to go into hibernation again. I think I'm finished with it anyway. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to offend. I do like to try to understand what motivates people -- it's rather my job, you see.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Probably time for this thread to go into hibernation again. I think I'm finished with it anyway. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to offend. I do like to try to understand what motivates people -- it's rather my job, you see.
You in no way offended me. I think your posts are very informative and you are obviously an erudite gentleman.

Just as your profession and interests are in analyzing folks and figuring out their motivations, I am a professional writer - so my interests are in telling the story. And, from my Southern perspective, this is my story.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM

444 posts, read 1,492,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Jef . . . this is not a discussion about public policy. We all know full well what we can do to protect our environment - and we also know that when developers come in and flash money around, there will always be those on city and county governments more than willing to take the cash (tax revenue).

You wanted to know why people get labeled Yankees. I have posted quite a few times on this thread trying to explain it. It is an attitude that people bring with them.

The people who don't bring that kind of attitude settle into the community, make friends, and are welcomed. Those who don't are the people I am speaking of.

And you know . . . to be absolutely frank about it . . . I am getting really tired of being part of a group of people who continually gets stereotyped (Southerners) and you sure don't see anyone standing up rallying against that - so to ask me to be PC about labeling someone a "Damn Yankee" falls on deaf ears. It is what it is. As long as folks move here w/ misconceptions about Southerners and an air of total arrogant dismissal and a condescending attitude to those who have lived here for 150 + years (and liked our world just fine as it was) - and whose children will live here long after these newcomers are dead and gone . . . I will express my displeasure any way I see fit.

What aggravates me most about this discussion, as it were, is that my friends who have moved here from both the NE and Florida are quick to point out how embarrassed they are at the behavior of these people, too - and feel these folks give newcomers a "bad reputation." So it isn't just me that sees it and realizes WHY the natives here wish the Great Migration from the Northeast would cease.

ETA: Or if the migration were not to cease . . . at least that folks coming here would learn to show a little respect towards those who have made this state our home since b/f the Revolutionary War. For example, to those who don't think this state is "progressive" enough . . . who cares? Move somewhere else where folks espouse what you espouse. Coming here and then insisting that everyone march to your drum - and belittling those who don't - is sheer idiocy. If I moved to Boston, I would be keeping my opinions to myself if I didn't agree w/ the laws of the state - or the political leanings of my neighbors and coworkers.
Annie, I understand where you are coming from on this one. I am a southern born and raised and I have seen such changes in this area. We have watched this area grow and grow. At first it was awesome to have all these neat things and different things coming into town. For the most part I enjoy our northern families who are coming into our town. As in everything there is the good and the bad. Hopefully our good temperments will help them see it is nicer to be friendly than to be horses
betuts.

Dunroven

Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,151,991 times
All these posts from Southerners commenting and grouping (stereotyping) all Northerners lets me know my original assessement of NC was correct within 24 hours of living there.

It would help to learn geography and your country. People from small midwest farmtowns are completely different than NY, NJ, CT and so on. We truly dislike being stereotyped with the fast paced NE area of the US....just like Southerners dislike being stereotyped as hicks.

There are RUDE people in every sector of our country, the North has no claim on all of them.

There are polite people in every sector of our country, the South has no ownership of all of them (trust me on this)

There are educated smart people in every sector of our country.

There are uneducated people in every sector of our country.

There is hate in every area of our country, more than enough...why subscribe to more of it simply because of where a persons parents had them?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM

116 posts, read 376,046 times
I couldn't have put it better than you just did.
Having been born in the UK and lived in the North and South of the USA I found what you said to be very true.
I find the difference between the two regions is when I lived in Boston, people would be rude or nice to you right to your face, no beating around the bush there, on the other hand I find Southerners to be sweet and nice to you when you meet them at first but would cut you up as soon as you turned round, its very unsettling.
I am not a Yankee, I wasn't even born in this country, but I can't tell you how many times the label has been given to me in conversation with people here, I'm even talking vendors.
So my 2 cents worth says there is just as much ignorance and predjudice in the south as in the north! The Civil War ended a long time ago folks...........get over it!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,235,670 times
As a relatively recent newcomer (16 years), I totally understand anifani's stance. I would feel the same way if in her shoes. I don't think she's lumping everyone on earth who ever moved to NC in her complaint. She's complaining about the nasty ones.

Some changes are inevitable with population growth. But growth doesn't mean we should force our ways on anyone.

When I first came down here, as a training consultant, I had to gather information from people who lived in the more rural areas, and they had very heavy Southern accents. I apologized to one young man because I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. (Usually, I'm very good at understanding anyone with an accent.) He sincerely apologized and said he didn't talk very well(!).

I told him NOOOOooo! Nothing was wrong with his speech! *I* was the one with the "issue," and if anyone would apologize, it would be me. We were in the South. People are supposed to have Southern accents. It saddened me to think that he thought he was somehow "less" because of his speech or that my speech was the "right" way to talk.

As far as stereotypes -- all Notherners are all loud and obnoxious and want things exactly like they are at home, and all Southerners fly the Confederate flag and share their immoral lives on TV talk shows -- RIGHT? Of course not. But a few do.

But most of us are more alike than not alike.

(And there are plenty of wonderful people from the Northeast. Like me. )

Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
As a relatively recent newcomer (16 years), I totally understand anifani's stance. I would feel the same way if in her shoes. I don't think she's lumping everyone on earth who ever moved to NC in her complaint. She's complaining about the nasty ones.

Some changes are inevitable with population growth. But growth doesn't mean we should force our ways on anyone.

When I first came down here, as a training consultant, I had to gather information from people who lived in the more rural areas, and they had very heavy Southern accents. I apologized to one young man because I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. (Usually, I'm very good at understanding anyone with an accent.) He sincerely apologized and said he didn't talk very well(!).

I told him NOOOOooo! Nothing was wrong with his speech! *I* was the one with the "issue," and if anyone would apologize, it would be me. We were in the South. People are supposed to have Southern accents. It saddened me to think that he thought he was somehow "less" because of his speech or that my speech was the "right" way to talk.

As far as stereotypes -- all Notherners are all loud and obnoxious and want things exactly like they are at home, and all Southerners fly the Confederate flag and share their immoral lives on TV talk shows -- RIGHT? Of course not. But a few do.

But most of us are more alike than not alike.

(And there are plenty of wonderful people from the Northeast. Like me. )
Thank you, Brentwood. You explained things very well.

I have more friends who moved to this region than who were born here! People are people everywhere. I have tried to explain why people often have negative feelings about folks who move here. And I have tried to explain that it is only a small minority, but this minority has caused some hard feelings from natives.

Charlotte is 2/3 folks from "somewhere else." That is a GOOD THING. I am not complaining about the growth. People usually move and want to contribute and live happily with others.

I am sure the stereotypes go both ways at times.

Thank you again for your wise words.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
I couldn't have put it better than you just did.
Having been born in the UK and lived in the North and South of the USA I found what you said to be very true.
I find the difference between the two regions is when I lived in Boston, people would be rude or nice to you right to your face, no beating around the bush there, on the other hand I find Southerners to be sweet and nice to you when you meet them at first but would cut you up as soon as you turned round, its very unsettling.
I am not a Yankee, I wasn't even born in this country, but I can't tell you how many times the label has been given to me in conversation with people here, I'm even talking vendors.
So my 2 cents worth says there is just as much ignorance and predjudice in the south as in the north! The Civil War ended a long time ago folks...........get over it!
Tsk, you werent born in The U.S. but you claim to understand more than we do and on top of that know little about our history. Nothing about yankees has to do with the civil war. Just how they are different from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina