U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 AM

444 posts, read 1,027,374 times

Advertisements

Ok what i told you was very UNBAISED. If you want me to give you my opinion I will. ANd if you have a problem with religion you still need to respect it you *******. Nough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

My oppinion is that all the stupid yankees should move back to wherever the heck they came from. And mind their own busness cause some dont! -Gasp- And just because i live down here doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,576 posts, read 6,637,472 times
thank you for your "unbiased opinion."

look son, i don't care about what you believe in or don't believe in. honestly. lol @ you catching feelings and proving me right.

you either skimmed my last two posts or can't comprehend what you read. pick one. actually, nevermind. just log off.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM

116 posts, read 375,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
My oppinion is that all the stupid yankees should move back to wherever the heck they came from. And mind their own busness cause some dont! -Gasp- And just because i live down here doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.
Why are you so angry?
America is one country for all Americans to enjoy, no matter where they choose to live, it shouldn't concern you what part of the country they come from. And because one has respect and love of ones birth place shouldn't be viewed with such hatefulness.
As I am to understand it then, from your view point, the term YANKEE means anyone who wasn't born in NC, be it from any part of the country not just up North?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 AM

310 posts, read 1,000,824 times
Oh good lord people...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 AM

334 posts, read 356,017 times
Quote:
Whether you beleive this or not, i speak the truth, steryotypeless.

First in the book "The Last of the Mohicans," during the french war the native americans called the white men 'Yangees.' There might be some truth that the word came from the Native Americans, meaning outsider. Just switch 'Yangees to Yankees.' Now, from my findings from dictionary.com, I found the name 'Yankee,' and it was defined as a name that was probably used with pirates, and some other people I dont remember were listed.

Second to many of us that live in the south, we are not totally against yankees. However for us, a yankee is a rude, obnoxious, extremely loud, cold, pridefull and unkind person. We can befriend them so long as they dont show their pride, or scream/yell, or become annoying.

Third, southerners are quiet polite people that do get in other people's busness, but are sweet and loyal friends. I have seen many posts here that have northerner's say its hard to make friends where they are from. Southerners are religious and northerner's dont respect that, and we tend to get upset with them because they dont understand how much our faith means to us.

Lastly (so there wont be any confusion), when northerners show their pride, they come down here expecting us to take their B.S. about where they grew up, and how the food down here stinks, and southerners shouldnt act this way, and nothing will compare to where we lived. blah blah blah.

So if you cant see how much they OFFEND us, then there isnt anything i can do. Please dont blast me for telling you my observations with Yankees. My experiences and my feelings for them will remain just as this.
So many ridiculous generalizations in this post. I think this whole thread is ignorant, and I've read most of it, but this is by far the worst.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM

Eek
Ok i wont listen to you, just like you wont take in consideration what I knew and had experience with. Maybe you dont understand because you are used to it. I made those last two posts so that you could see the difference between the two (oppinions and real experince). I dont care what you dont care about what I believe in. Like I said in my post 'You may or may not believe this.' And then you sent two posts about mine. How rediculous, catching feelings and proving me right.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
So many ridiculous generalizations in this post. I think this whole thread is ignorant, and I've read most of it, but this is by far the worst.
...and why is that?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,576 posts, read 6,637,472 times
Quote:
...and why is that?
Quote:
...to many of us that live in the south, we are not totally against yankees. However for us, a yankee is a rude, obnoxious, extremely loud, cold, pridefull and unkind person. We can befriend them so long as they dont show their pride, or scream/yell, or become annoying.
Quote:
southerners are quiet polite people that do get in other people's busness, but are sweet and loyal friends
vs:

Quote:
stupid yankees should move back to wherever the heck they came from. And mind their own busness cause some dont!
Quote:
Southerners are religious and northerner's dont respect that, and we tend to get upset with them because they dont understand how much our faith means to us.
and lastly,

Quote:
when northerners show their pride, they come down here expecting us to take their B.S. about where they grew up, and how the food down here stinks, and southerners shouldnt act this way, and nothing will compare to where we lived. blah blah blah.
just might have something to do with metalhead's response.

and no, i don't understand you or where you're coming from. i came at you in a civil manner and all you had for me was a post filled with anger (and stereotypes) and you cursed at me.
you didn't even read what i said because if you did, you would have seen where i don't have a problem with religion in general, seeing as how i'm a catholic. anyway, its whatever.

you can't be helped by a person on a message board that is trying to show you that these stereotypes are just that. stereotypes. you need to get out more and visit more areas of the country, meet ppl of various backgrounds, etc.

stop judging ppl before you get to know them. stop believing in stereotypes.

Last edited by eek; 08-10-2009 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times
eek,

I came on this board in the spring of 2006. That was when it was all just one section under North Carolina. I remember vividly a woman moving down from either NYC or NJ to Charlotte. She had 3 kids and was mainly interested in the schools. She got great responses and apparently did her own research. She was so excited about the move. Well they moved and when school started in the fall, she was just beside herself. She just couldn't understand why things were being run the way they were and had a whole list of complaints. This wasn't how schools were run where she came from and boy was she going to change things. The posts became almost political as she urged newcomers to become involved in their schools so this change could come about. Get rid of the school board and on and on. She was warned by the mods and eventually banned. That's why I remember her. The first person I was aware of that was banned. And I really wish I could remember her name but it was three years ago.

And that's what a lot of the posters are trying to get across. I don't know whether the woman was right or wrong. But it was her methods. And apprently many people on here have run across these types of incidents enough times to sour them on many transplants. People take it personally when their way of life or things that have worked for them are attacked.

Are all transplants that way? No, of course not. Everyplace, state, city and town have good and not so good people. Can people from the South move up North and complain? Sure. One poster even posted about it. Have transplants found some unwelcoming people here? Sure. All people have their faults.

It just seems to me that everyone should just try and adjust the best they can and be understaning whether they are moving in or already living in an area.

I think I said this before, but we are a world of "labelers".
Everyone and everything is labeled. And so it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina