U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: The Queen City
444 posts, read 1,027,275 times
Reputation: 173

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
vs:





and lastly,



just might have something to do with metalhead's response.

and no, i don't understand you or where you're coming from. i came at you in a civil manner and all you had for me was a post filled with anger (and stereotypes) and you cursed at me.
you didn't even read what i said because if you did, you would have seen where i don't have a problem with religion in general, seeing as how i'm a catholic. anyway, its whatever.

you can't be helped by a person on a message board that is trying to show you that these stereotypes are just that. stereotypes. you need to get out more and visit more areas of the country, meet ppl of various backgrounds, etc.

stop judging ppl before you get to know them. stop believing in stereotypes.
Eek,
You are incredably mean. I have been to NYC and I know that there are some good people in the north too. So mabe you judged me too. I did read your posts, I dont care what you are. Just because I sent a post that might have some reason to it doesnt mean that you have to take it personally. It just seems when a (yankee) comes around they think they are special cause they came from a better city or state. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
eek eek started this thread
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,636,843 times
Reputation: 1422
honestly i didn't take anything that you said personally.

Quote:
It just seems when a (yankee) comes around they think they are special cause they came from a better city or state.
there's truth to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
444 posts, read 1,027,275 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly i didn't take anything that you said personally.
Yea right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
444 posts, read 1,027,275 times
Reputation: 173
Well i never took you seriously. You are just being mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so basically, if i were to meet you in person, you would come to the table with your mind already made up that ppl from the north (yankees as you call us) act one way. without me even opening my mouth, or rather as soon as i do and you hear my accent, you automatically assume that i would act the way that you describe northerners to act in your last post.
Nope, all yankee's ain't the same, there are actually some decent ones I've met, and are not lumped into the same heap........... UNTIL the choose to criticize how things are done in the south, or the infamous "back in ______ (random location in yankee land)____ we do it this way".

Do you fit this mold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 AM
 
2,912 posts, read 3,308,523 times
Reputation: 3136
I don't speak for all Northerners, but, yes, in a way, I do fit that mold. Let me explain. Where I am from, there are a number of service, school and social differences, that I prefer to the way things are done in the South. It does not mean that the way things are done in the South are wrong.
By the same token, I see things in the South that I prefer over the North.

I don't spend my time complaining about the differences. I made a choice to live here and if my feelings change, I will move.

The one issue that I have with many Southerners on this board is that they are very defensive when someone has an opinion that does not jibe with their own. Don't take it personally or don't befriend any Northerners. I am pretty certain that Northerners don't care to befriend that type of Southerner in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nope, all yankee's ain't the same, there are actually some decent ones I've met, and are not lumped into the same heap........... UNTIL the choose to criticize how things are done in the south, or the infamous "back in ______ (random location in yankee land)____ we do it this way".

Do you fit this mold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Detroit
206 posts, read 386,550 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I don't speak for all Northerners, but, yes, in a way, I do fit that mold. Let me explain. Where I am from, there are a number of service, school and social differences, that I prefer to the way things are done in the South. It does not mean that the way things are done in the South are wrong.
By the same token, I see things in the South that I prefer over the North.

I don't spend my time complaining about the differences. I made a choice to live here and if my feelings change, I will move.

The one issue that I have with many Southerners on this board is that they are very defensive when someone has an opinion that does not jibe with their own. Don't take it personally or don't befriend any Northerners. I am pretty certain that Northerners don't care to befriend that type of Southerner in any case.

Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Salisbury, NC
10 posts, read 35,757 times
Reputation: 23
We all have differences no matter where we are from. We are all going to look at things differently.
It doesn't matter where you are from, its how you treat others. If you force your ideas on someone else they are going to get defensive, especially if you attack that persons point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea1001 View Post
If you force your ideas on someone else they are going to get defensive, especially if you attack that persons point of view.
Yep, that about sums it up, but so few 'get it'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
 
6,196 posts, read 14,197,108 times
Reputation: 4483
BUT Northerners don't even necessarily need to "force" views to get a rise out of Southerners. If they even mention the possibility that there might be a better way of doing things, Southerners get highly defensive. And I'm speaking in generalities of the Southern culture and speaking as one who is quite familiar with the Southern way of thinking...or at least with one Southern man and his Southern family members.

And they don't "get it" either that suggestions for improvement are not part of a concerted effort to bring the downfall of Southern life as they know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea1001
If you force your ideas on someone else they are going to get defensive, especially if you attack that persons point of view.
Quote:
Originally posted by Asheville Native
Yep, that about sums it up, but so few 'get it'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top