U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,538,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
BUT Northerners don't even necessarily need to "force" views to get a rise out of Southerners. If they even mention the possibility that there might be a better way of doing things, Southerners get highly defensive. And I'm speaking in generalities of the Southern culture and speaking as one who is quite familiar with the Southern way of thinking...or at least with one Southern man and his Southern family members.

And they don't "get it" either that suggestions for improvement are not part of a concerted effort to bring the downfall of Southern life as they know it.
I love it. Everyone who lives in this large region of the USA -- "Southerners" -- has this characteristic? Or just most of us? Or what, exactly? Any other grand generalizations we should know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM

756 posts, read 1,711,070 times
Lordy, try being from Alabama and see what you get!! In the south, we pick on everybody. Atlanta picks on Birmingham, we pick on Mississippi and they pick on Louisiana and Louisiana picks on Arkansas - poor Arkansas... It is all in good fun especially in college football season. Yankee is just a word used to describe anyone from the North.

I always spoke extremly fast even with the Southern Accent and my family often refer to me as "the one that turned out to be a yankee".

BTW, I lived up north in NY, PA and DE (above the Mason Dixon line) and was always underestimated because of my accent. Worked out great for me.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
Just to be clear, DE is east of the Mason-Dixon line. It doesn't come into play in terms of Delaware at all. We're neither North nor South (reminds me of a particular hymn text...).

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,439,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I understand that there is a Yankee Magazine. The Colonial Athletic Association was called the Yankee Conference until a few years ago. There are self proclaimed Yankee Craftsmen. YankeeCandle.com, yankee handyman pushdrill etc etc.
All those things refer exclusively or primarily to New England.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM

500 posts, read 1,931,546 times
Just my own experience, but when people use it as a noun, no ill is meant, just synonym for someone who is from the North. Now if they use it as an adjective, then there I see it with a just a tiny bit of a good-natured twist.
Example, when choosing ice cream in the grocery store, my daughter said she preferred Blue Bell (a local Texas made brand) over that "yankee" ice cream (referring to Dreyers).
But however it's used, it certainly isn't meant in a mean way.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM

116 posts, read 375,179 times
Would you be referring to "Breyers"?
I cannot believe that a child would know or care where ice cream was made, and who taught her the term "yankee" anyway? I never taught my child to stay away from any "redneck" food products, I might have told them to stay away from southern fried chicken unless they want to get fat!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
Breyers has flecks of vanilla bean in it -- you can't say that about Blue Bell vanilla. I agree with the above poster: what a silly thing for a child to come out with, how'd she know where it's made and who told her?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
how did we go from yankee chat to icecream??
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM

206 posts, read 386,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
how did we go from yankee chat to icecream??
I have no idea, but it made me get the munchies for ice cream. Just finished off the Breyers.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,146,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's real. It's very real -- perhaps more so with older Southern people. SOME older Southern people.
Ha....I found a survival mode down here, when I really just don't want to hear any insult aimed at anyone no matter where they are from.

When you hear anyone start a sentence with "Bless his/her/their heart" RUN FOREST RUN

Most likely you will be ducking an insult aimed at yourself, or hear something very hurtful about someone else.

It really does make the day so much more pleasant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina