U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 AM

227 posts, read 720,039 times

Advertisements

Dictionary Definition.

–noun 1. a native or inhabitant of the United States.
There's more, but you can click the link and read it all if you're interested. I just find interesting the first description of the word Yankee...

I'm originally from the north and find it insulting to be called a Yankee. Since moving to the south, (I'm in SC) it's been directed at me as a put-down. That my ways are no good here and not to even bother doing anything the way I ever learned because I'm in the south now and things are done differently. I understand I'm in a different culture, but I'm also from a different culture. Every place is different and not every place is for everyone. Instead of using labeling names for people, how about we use their actual first names? Be respectful and kind to one another.

So to me the term Yankee is no different than redneck or the N word. The only time I heard the term up north was for sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,323,610 times
Unfortunately, many native southerners don't get the fact that Northerners "understand" the negative connotation of the term. Instead, they like to explain it as a way to refer to Northerners. If it was only used in that context, Northerners would not have a problem with it. In fact, many of us still don't have a problem with it. We are confident that our culture is strong and don't fear that it will be taken away by those who don't agree with everything about our culture.
Stay strong fellow Yankees!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,984,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I think you're on to something here (if you omit the word elderly).
People come here and talk about natives is this and similar manners, and they are shocked that they are now welcomed.

And clearly don't have a clue as to why.

These are the same mindless fools that act like azz's when traveling abroad, and as a result earned the nickname for all Americans as "ugly Americans" by those they talk down to, here they are just called damn yankee's.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I think you're on to something here (if you omit the word elderly).
I think you are on to something (if you were a native here).

Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
Dictionary Definition.

–noun 1. a native or inhabitant of the United States.
There's more, but you can click the link and read it all if you're interested. I just find interesting the first description of the word Yankee...

I'm originally from the north and find it insulting to be called a Yankee. Since moving to the south, (I'm in SC) it's been directed at me as a put-down. That my ways are no good here and not to even bother doing anything the way I ever learned because I'm in the south now and things are done differently. I understand I'm in a different culture, but I'm also from a different culture. Every place is different and not every place is for everyone. Instead of using labeling names for people, how about we use their actual first names? Be respectful and kind to one another.

So to me the term Yankee is no different than redneck or the N word. The only time I heard the term up north was for sports.
Lilbear, I really do understand what you are coming from. I really feel for you and the people from both north and south that dont give each other a chance to experience the benefits of different cultures. Because they only see their culture but they dont see that both sides are equally strong . Its different yes but either way isnt better than the other. To know is to understand. If one does not know, how can they understand?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM

227 posts, read 720,039 times
This is true Raivere.

I think the term Yankee is like terms used to refer to colored or black people for example. I am from the north and wish to not be called a Yankee, even if other people of the north don't mind it. I know a lady who is colored/black and she refers to be called colored, while others don't mind being called black. Some even prefer to be called African American. It's best to just be respectful and ask someone of a different background what they prefer to be called, not what we think they should be called.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,576 posts, read 6,660,821 times
99.99999999999999% of minorities would smack a person or at least walk away if they were called "colored" in 2009.

did that lady step out of a time machine??

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
This is true Raivere.

I think the term Yankee is like terms used to refer to colored or black people for example. I am from the north and wish to not be called a Yankee, even if other people of the north don't mind it. I know a lady who is colored/black and she refers to be called colored, while others don't mind being called black. Some even prefer to be called African American. It's best to just be respectful and ask someone of a different background what they prefer to be called, not what we think they should be called.
Once again I agree with your statement lilbear.

Just ignore eek.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,201,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
99.99999999999999% of minorities would smack a person or at least walk away if they were called "colored" in 2009.

did that lady step out of a time machine??
Even is she did, it's still her preference. But as I have said many times wouldn't this just be a wonderful world if no one labelled another person?

Then I wouldn't be a white middle-aged slightly overweight average looking yankee Midwesterner turned Floridian turned half-back woman of mostly Irish but mixed heritage with a fair amount of intelligence living in North Carolina.

I'd just be a person.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,576 posts, read 6,660,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post

Just ignore eek.
ignore me because of what?
as a "minority," seeing that the word colored is used in 2009 baffles me. its highly offensive. how about creating a thread on cd in the debate section and seeing if anybody still uses the word in 2009 to refer to minorities.

oh wait...this is a thread debating about use of the word yankee in 2009...another archaic word.

actually, to tell you the truth, i wouldn't expect a person that uses the word yankee in 2009 to understand where a minority from the north is coming from when he/she questions the use of both the word yankee and the word COLORED in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Even is she did, it's still her preference. But as I have said many times wouldn't this just be a wonderful world if no one labelled another person?
unfortunately this is America/real life. labels will always exist. a black person (for example) will never fully be able to assimilate in our society until we get over race (this goes for everyone in this country regardless of ethnicity, race, etc)...which the u.s. will not. even if a person didn't bring up race, more often than not ppl see race before they see gender or personality. this is why i get followed in certain stores...why i'm more likely to get turned down than other ppl of difference races for certain opportunities, etc. etc. also, its never the dude in the red shirt. its:

the black kid in the red shirt.
the white lady on the corner.
the chinese (when referring to anyone thats asian) ppl over there. the puerto ricans over here. etc.

its disgusting...but smh @ a person in 2009 using the word colored to describe minorities, even if its to describe herself. she cannot be from this country. is she from south africa or something? we haven't used the word colored in america for quite some time. she's gotta either be a 85 year old female from the south or a 50 something year old from south africa or something.
smh @ lilbear for using the word colored as well.

anyway, this is a completely different topic and it would turn into a lengthy discussion.

Last edited by eek; 09-09-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina