Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ignore me because of what?
Because you are highly discouraging to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
because the truth hurts.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:09 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Yes it does

Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM

227 posts, read 794,855 times
I don't think calling someone black or yankee or any other term would be offensive or racist if it wasn't ever use in a negative way.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
I don't think calling someone black or yankee or any other term would be offensive or racist if it wasn't ever use in a negative way.
That's the key. Only some people from New England would even remotely consider Yankee to be a proper term of referral for themselves.

To refer to anybody else (just because they're from the northern half of the US) as a Yankee should be considered as an insult.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
but you didn't use the word black. you said colored. colored would be highly offensive. are you an american? just curious...serious question, here.

to those that claim to not understand, lets flip the situation a bit...

the whole stereotype of the south is that the south is backwards, slow, behind the times, etc.
we agree that that is the stereotype that others have of the south, correct?

ok. now, a thread is created on a forum and you have ppl defending the use of the word "yankee" and you have others telling ppl to "go back to yankeeland" and now you have a person using the word "colored" as a label for minorities. some ppl have used the term "carpet bagger."

do you see where i'm going with this? its fitting the stereotype. and some ppl see nothing wrong with calling northerners yankees and minorities colored. smh. these are the same ppl that get upset when ppl point out how backwards some things are in the south. how can you be mad???

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

I am a US citizen and born one. I'm telling you, a black person told me she wants to be considered colored. She's from a different generation. She live through the days where blacks and whites couldn't be together. Also, I know a black person (I tend to refer as black unless they tell me otherwise) told me, "No, I'm not black, I'm brown." It all depends on the person.

MY point is, we're all people. Why does color matter? Why does north and south have to matter? Like someone previously said, it's back from the Civil War. That war has been over for so long now that this whole thing shouldn't be an issue anymore. But yet, it is.

I think if someone is going to defend or not defend a certain term it just all depends on where they're from and how they were taught.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Just so everyone knows...

The term "Yankee" was originally a Dutch put-down of the English. It comes from the two Dutch words Jan Kees--that is to say, John Cheese. It was their derogatory way of referring to Englishmen.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Just so everyone knows...

The term "Yankee" was originally a Dutch put-down of the English. It comes from the two Dutch words Jan Kees--that is to say, John Cheese. It was their derogatory way of referring to Englishmen.
yet people are drama queens over a word that is 150 or more years old

Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM

That was mentioned in my original link. There's a lot of history to that one word. And you're right too SunnyKayak, a lot of drama. That's probably why this topic was started in the first place. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina