Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
LovesMountains, It's ashame that a handful of people from the North and South make it bad for everyone. A few can ruin the whole.
Ani, I don't think I ever heard the word beach referring to the shore. The funny thing is it's always "Down the Shore".---Where are you going? Where are you? Where were you?---Down the Shore. Our friends and family always knew what part of the Shore we were going to.

We never ordered a tray of pizza, it was always a pizza pie or a pie.
You got that right! Like Ani said, at the end of the day people are people. I find that most of the time, no matter where you are, people will treat you the way you treat them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
No. No one did have to say it. That is way over the top and brings you down to what level?
It's interesting (and sad) that you can't understand the severity of the post I quoted. You truly think that one who takes pride in separating our nation while insulting their fellow neighbors is a true American?

If so, I feel sorry for you too.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
How can saying American by birth, southern by the grace of God be separating our nation? What is wrong with being proud of where you were born or where you live? I was born in the midwest, leaving there was not my choice but that is where I was born and raised and am proud of it. I will always consider myself a midwesterner. So according to you by thinking that I am separating our nation? Where does that thinking come from? We are a country of regions, states, cities, towns. Loving where you live doesn't mean anything other than loving where you live. Period. We are all Americans and that was never even an issue addressed here.

I can't even say that you have proven certain posters right by saying what you are since you are from "up north". That would be an insult to the yankees of which I am one by virtue of being born in the northern half of this great country.

Don't feel sorry for me. And I would say that I feel sorry for you but there are way too many people right now hurting in this country to waste my pity on something trivial like your opinion.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's interesting (and sad) that you can't understand the severity of the post I quoted. You truly think that one who takes pride in separating our nation while insulting their fellow neighbors is a true American?

If so, I feel sorry for you too.
I'm butting in now b/c of your use of "disgrace" and "true American." Those are separatist terms in which you make the assumption that you are entitled to make that distinction based on one messageboard post.

Your tone is pretentious. Your words are hypocritical. You are in fact taking a stand against someone you believe is "separating our nation" by further separating our nation by calling them disgraceful and implying that they are not a "true American."

Makes no sense.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
When I first moved to Raleigh and introduced myself to a Southern neighbor (and said I was from Rochester, NY), she replied, "Really! I never met anyone who lived in a skyscraper before!"

The Rochester suburb where I'd lived was quite like North Raleigh. No skyscrapers. But I couldn't respond. I was just speechless as my brain processed her strange reply.

As far as stereotypes, Conan O'Brien had a sketch a couple of weeks ago that had all the Southern stereotypes. Like everything he does, it wasn't the least bit humorous. But seeing him attempt to derive humor from the concept of drunken incestuous hillbillies from North Carolina was disturbing. (Personally, I've never met drunken incestuous hillbillies. Or any other type of hillbilly.)

And as far as preserving Southern traditions and dialect, last weekend, my Southern husband said to the clerk at Lowes that he needed some bags of cement. Only he didn't say it in "Southern." He asked for "Suh-MENT."

The clerk didn't understand him. Finally, after repeating the word three times, she did. When she left, I chided him, "What are you, some kind of YANKEE?! The word is "SEEEE-ment," not "Suh-MENT!"

I was also concerned last year when he started pronouncing "oil" as "oyl" instead of "erl."

I'm TRYING to preserve his sweet Southern dialect, but it isn't working! I haven't asked him to say "insurance" or "umbrella" lately. I fear the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I never thought much about it - figured people were people no matter where they are located - until I moved to the midwest and hardly a month went by when someone didn't ask me questions about such things as - trailers, inbreeding, guns, KKK, teenaged pregnancy, etc. These were sincere questions from people who had never met a Southerner (I only met one other Southerner the whole time I lived in Kansas City) but their only knowledge about the South had come from TV shows, comedy routines, etc. and they had very stereotyped impressions! Don't get me wrong - I loved living there - and it was kinda fun being the only person with an accent, even tho one of my clients told me that in that part of the country, a Southern accent was equated with "ignorance" as the closest thing to it was a Missouri accent that was only heard from white trash living "out in the boonies."

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 07-07-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
the accent thing is interesting.
after the first ...three times or so of repeating fall/call/dog/water/all, etc. it gets old.
i could imagine a southerner getting annoyed with ppl asking him/her to repeat certain words as well. it IS fascinating, though.

*edit*
my gf has a VERY thick southern accent...she's actually from Charlotte but her accent is thicker than "the norm."
my accent is the complete opposite of hers, so we like to hear each other speak.

one of my friends is from virginia. i think he's trying to say his words like i say mines...its kind of funny. i don't say anything, though.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
yankee definition | Dictionary.com

I hope this helps

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
How can saying American by birth, southern by the grace of God be separating our nation? What is wrong with being proud of where you were born or where you live? I was born in the midwest, leaving there was not my choice but that is where I was born and raised and am proud of it. I will always consider myself a midwesterner. So according to you by thinking that I am separating our nation? Where does that thinking come from? We are a country of regions, states, cities, towns. Loving where you live doesn't mean anything other than loving where you live. Period. We are all Americans and that was never even an issue addressed here.

I can't even say that you have proven certain posters right by saying what you are since you are from "up north". That would be an insult to the yankees of which I am one by virtue of being born in the northern half of this great country.

Don't feel sorry for me. And I would say that I feel sorry for you but there are way too many people right now hurting in this country to waste my pity on something trivial like your opinion.
I love how when there is nothing better to say, one resorts to insults. It certainly proves where you're coming from.

Also, excellent job cherry-picking what you want to address, but it seems as if you missed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
but it also usually carries a bit of a message.
That is what I cannot stand about some people who live in the southeast. Tell me, how insulted would you be if we called you a "damned redneck", though claiming it's said with a bit of love, usually carrying a bit of a message.

It's all about reading comprehension, Cat.

So yes, anyone who dislikes or insults their fellow brothers, is a disgrace to America and our foundation of values. If everyone had this opinion, we would be hundreds of years behind - a repeat of history. I'm sorry that you can't seem to understand this. (I still feel bad for you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
You are in fact taking a stand against someone you believe is "separating our nation" by further separating our nation by calling them disgraceful and implying that they are not a "true American." Makes no sense.
I can do nothing else but chuckle at the stupidity of this comment. But when you "quote" something, make sure it was actually said (typed). Does that make me pretentious too, or am I still further separating our nation?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
When I first moved to Raleigh and introduced myself to a Southern neighbor (and said I was from Rochester, NY), she replied, "Really! I never met anyone who lived in a skyscraper before!"

The Rochester suburb where I'd lived was quite like North Raleigh. No skyscrapers. But I couldn't respond. I was just speechless as my brain processed her strange reply.

As far as stereotypes, Conan O'Brien had a sketch a couple of weeks ago that had all the Southern stereotypes. Like everything he does, it wasn't the least bit humorous. But seeing him attempt to derive humor from the concept of drunken incestuous hillbillies from North Carolina was disturbing. (Personally, I've never met drunken incestuous hillbillies. Or any other type of hillbilly.)

And as far as preserving Southern traditions and dialect, last weekend, my Southern husband said to the clerk at Lowes that he needed some bags of cement. Only he didn't say it in "Southern." He asked for "Suh-MENT."

The clerk didn't understand him. Finally, after repeating the word three times, she did. When she left, I chided him, "What are you, some kind of YANKEE?! The word is "SEEEE-ment," not "Suh-MENT!"

I was also concerned last year when he started pronouncing "oil" as "oyl" instead of "erl."

I'm TRYING to preserve his sweet Southern dialect, but it isn't working! I haven't asked him to say "insurance" or "umbrella" lately. I fear the worst.
Don't ever change your accent, no matter where you move! That would be like abandoning part of your heritage!

As far as that word "cement" - the clerk was mispronouncing the word. I grew up hearing people occasionally mispronounce words and altho I would never have humiliated them or embarrassed myself by correcting others, it surely didn't mean I mispronounced words just to make them feel better, LOL! There are whole lists of words that you will hear mispronounced in some regions (si-reen for siren, for ex) . . .

But that is not an accent - that is a colloquial mispronunciation.

My hubby occasionally tries to imitate a Southern accent and he sounds totally inane, LOL! I love his non-Southern accent, as it is the sound of where he grew up . . . just as my accent represents my background.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I like how is says: "The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion—except of course for baseball fans."

Hmm, not so sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina