Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

It's real. It's very real -- perhaps more so with older Southern people. SOME older Southern people.

Quote:
And this whole "insincerely nice" thing just isn't real, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
It says I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Catrick again.
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM

116 posts, read 425,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Tsk, you werent born in The U.S. but you claim to understand more than we do and on top of that know little about our history. Nothing about yankees has to do with the civil war. Just how they are different from us.
Maybe you can enlighten me as to where the term "yankees" comes from and how northern state Americans are different from southern state Americans?
Yes I was born in the UK, and I simply gave my observations of life in both regions, I never professed to having more knowledge than you do about American history.
But alas, some Americans still ask me if I celebrate Independence day seeing as how "y'all" whipped our butts in that war!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's real. It's very real -- perhaps more so with older Southern people. SOME older Southern people.
And then again, perhaps not. Or perhaps today is just "free insult" day for overactive Internet posters, with today's target being "older" people. Who would these older people be in this context, those among us who have so gravely sinned -- anyone over the age of, say, twelve? Or perhaps one could be awarded a certain number of ANSI certified victimhood points or general-superiority points when one thinks he or she has experienced insincerity, or lives in a region supposedly characterized by insincerity, or perhaps characterized by an absence of genuine sincerity. Perhaps, perhaps.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Why did I say old? I was thinking of all my SOUTHERN relatives-by-marriage, all of them OLD (as in advanced senior citizenship), several of them passed on. Hence, "old." They were absolutely nice and more so when they obviously didn't mean it.

I was also thinking about a hysterical essay in the N&O several years ago written by a returning (Southern) reporter who described visiting his Southern relatives, and he focused on that very characteristic -- insincere politeness. His Southern relatives would not directly tell him something but would INDIRECTLY tell him something in the guise of being "nice."

It's a part of Southern culture, like it or not. No big deal.

Geesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
And then again, perhaps not. Or perhaps today is just "free insult" day for overactive Internet posters, with today's target being "older" people. Who would these older people be in this context, those among us who have so gravely sinned -- anyone over the age of, say, twelve? Or perhaps one could be awarded a certain number of ANSI certified victimhood points or general-superiority points when one thinks he or she has experienced insincerity, or lives in a region supposedly characterized by insincerity, or perhaps characterized by an absence of genuine sincerity. Perhaps, perhaps.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Default Lol

As a transplant from Boston...I don't MIND AT ALL...

I just say...I don't talk fast you just think slowwwww...........

I LOVE NC!!!!
no copyright

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-08-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Is Hamish Forbes actually Charlton Dude and trolling?

Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Maybe you can enlighten me as to where the term "yankees" comes from and how northern state Americans are different from southern state Americans?
Yes I was born in the UK, and I simply gave my observations of life in both regions, I never professed to having more knowledge than you do about American history.
But alas, some Americans still ask me if I celebrate Independence day seeing as how "y'all" whipped our butts in that war!
Whether you beleive this or not, i speak the truth, steryotypeless.

First in the book "The Last of the Mohicans," during the french war the native americans called the white men 'Yangees.' There might be some truth that the word came from the Native Americans, meaning outsider. Just switch 'Yangees to Yankees.' Now, from my findings from dictionary.com, I found the name 'Yankee,' and it was defined as a name that was probably used with pirates, and some other people I dont remember were listed.

Second to many of us that live in the south, we are not totally against yankees. However for us, a yankee is a rude, obnoxious, extremely loud, cold, pridefull and unkind person. We can befriend them so long as they dont show their pride, or scream/yell, or become annoying.

Third, southerners are quiet polite people that do get in other people's busness, but are sweet and loyal friends. I have seen many posts here that have northerner's say its hard to make friends where they are from. Southerners are religious and northerner's dont respect that, and we tend to get upset with them because they dont understand how much our faith means to us.

Lastly (so there wont be any confusion), when northerners show their pride, they come down here expecting us to take their B.S. about where they grew up, and how the food down here stinks, and southerners shouldnt act this way, and nothing will compare to where we lived. blah blah blah.

So if you cant see how much they OFFEND us, then there isnt anything i can do. Please dont blast me for telling you my observations with Yankees. My experiences and my feelings for them will remain just as this.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
so basically, if i were to meet you in person, you would come to the table with your mind already made up that ppl from the north (yankees as you call us) act one way. without me even opening my mouth, or rather as soon as i do and you hear my accent, you automatically assume that i would act the way that you describe northerners to act in your last post.

but we're the bad guys, right?

lol @ this. why is this thread not locked again?

i'm sorry that a few northerners rubbed a few southerners the wrong way...but that has nothing to do with me and countless other northerners. its SAD that ppl hold on to stereotypes and label others with said stereotypes.

you think ppl in the north have their lips poked out over such foolishness? nope. when a southerner moves to the north or visits the north, 9/10 they are very happy with the move. they miss home, the change might be overwhelming at first but you don't hear us complaining about how southerners need to go back where they came from and about how they're rude and always talk about what it was like down south and how the "down home" cooking and whatever else was good and they can't find it here.

we don't let little stuff bother us. we also don't hold on to long outdated derogatory terms from the 1800's to describe ppl from a region.

its ok tho. i'm 90% sure that most ppl, regardless of region (and including the south), do not use the word yankee to label a northerner either. at this point, i'm not trying to understand why some ppl choose to use that word in 2009. i agree to disagree.

this post is already too long but the last thing i'll say is that IMO ppl need to let old stuff go. the table tipping FOOLISHNESS. lol @ that. one lady from one state does it and all ladies from the north do it. ahahaha.

one person says how the food is better and all ppl do.

come on.

also, rather than getting bent out of shape, has anybody ever thought, "hmm...what if it is better?" "let me see for myself."

???

there are many reasons why ppl move and why ppl regret the move just like there are many reasons why ppl move and like the move. we should lose these weak labels and let ppl be ppl and also realize that ONE PERSON or A GROUP OF PEOPLE are not necessarily representative of THE ENTIRE REGION.

common sense.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
and that was going to be it...but then i reread this post.

Quote:
how i wish i could get away with how i really talk. this forum is too heavily modded for that...so i'll just start out with

PLEASE. i needed a laugh this morning. here we go:

Quote:
Second to many of us that live in the south, we are not totally against yankees. However for us, a yankee is a rude, obnoxious, extremely loud, cold, pridefull and unkind person. We can befriend them so long as they dont show their pride, or scream/yell, or become annoying.
ok so the minute a person says that they're from *insert northern state here* and is proud of that, you resent that?
so we have to come down to the south and follow rules and regulations in order for ppl to put up with us?

lol @ how ridiculous that is.

also, why would a northerner (say it with me. NORTHERNER) come to the south if ppl already have preconceived notions about us?

where's that so called southern hospitality? where's the "welcome to the south." "you'll love it!!"

instead, you're acting like how you think WE act.

i'll be honest. many, MANY females in the south are extra loud. many ppl are rude, many ppl are fake ppl that stab you behind your back, lie, etc.

just because many ppl are like that doesn't mean that all ppl in the south are like that. many ppl are NOT like that in the south. the same goes for the north.

see, i'm from NYC. jamaica, NY which is in queens. i know rude ppl in the north. my gf is from charlotte, nc. she has a thick (very thick) southern accent...says things like fin, thang, daowg, etc.
her family members can get loud (some ppl should come with a remote control. there is no need to yell to the person next to you or to talk loud on the phone...the bottom of the phone is near your mouth). they aren't rude but its a lil different than what i'm used to. there are differences.

but why would i label all southerners as loud, obnoxious, back stabbing and fake?

i wouldn't. moving along,

Quote:
Third, southerners are quiet polite people that do get in other people's busness, but are sweet and loyal friends. I have seen many posts here that have northerner's say its hard to make friends where they are from. Southerners are religious and northerner's dont respect that, and we tend to get upset with them because they dont understand how much our faith means to us.
lol @ this. ppl see what they want. you want a real unbiased opinion? i'll give it to you. i'm only going to speak for one northern state and say what i've encountered in one southern state. i'm not going to speak for an entire region.

NYC: in winter it is COLD. it is rainy, snowy, there is ice, etc. its a dirty place, although its a lot cleaner than it used to be. the job market is bad but it is not as bad as it is in many areas of the south.

some ppl are rude. most ppl are not. most ppl just concentrate on where they have to go and don't worry about whats going on with the next person. some ppl will open doors for you, help you out with directions, etc. some ppl will not.

i would say that most ppl in manhattan will help you out with directions.

a lot of ppl in NYC tend to be catholics (myself, included). i promise you that there are many, many churches in NYC. we ARE religious.

there are a lot of job opportunities. a lot more than many parts in other regions.

it is the largest city in our country and IMHO the best. you will never get bored.

etc. etc.

NC: yes, most of it is rural. there are a few cities...none large. charlotte is nice and pretty in the fall and spring. it is hot as all hell in the summer. there is not a whole lot to do but there are some things that you can do. southpark mall is nice. some ppl are nice. some ppl are rude.
southern hospitality doesn't really exist. its just that some are nice and some arent. just like in the north. i'd say that you will encounter more ppl in NYC being nice than in NC. why? because NYC is full of tourists and ppl understand that.

a lot of ppl in NC are ok with the status quo (which is fine for them). there are many low paying jobs. many, many low paying jobs.

seemingly, minorities aren't doing anywhere near as well as the majority (to be honest).

ppl in NC are religious (but not anymore than ppl in NYC). yes. at the same time, many are more likely to judge you without looking inward than ppl in NYC who just don't really care about what you do or don't do behind closed doors or in the public eye.

this person that i'm quoting who is from the south doesn't understand that many ppl from and in NYC don't care about what his/her religion is, or what they think about ours...but i will say that we are just as religious if not more than ppl from the south...

its just that we are not as quick to judge the next person (IMHO). i'm basing this off of things such as gay marriage, women's rights, pro choice vs pro life, race relations in the past and present, etc.

Quote:
Lastly (so there wont be any confusion), when northerners show their pride, they come down here expecting us to take their B.S. about where they grew up, and how the food down here stinks, and southerners shouldnt act this way, and nothing will compare to where we lived. blah blah blah.
there is some truth to this.

many ppl move to the south willingly, because they THOUGHT it would be a certain way and end up regretting that move for one reason or another. many ppl move to the south willingly but miss home but don't want to move back.

both groups tend to talk about what it was like where they moved from. true...but this is not limited to ppl from the north. that goes for ANYWHERE.

Quote:
So if you cant see how much they OFFEND us, then there isnt anything i can do. Please dont blast me for telling you my observations with Yankees. My experiences and my feelings for them will remain just as this.
i'm not going to blast you for stating your opinion even though i completely disagree with it...but rather than saying:

Quote:
you should just say that your truth isn't THE truth and is your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina