U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,576 posts, read 6,656,982 times

Advertisements

i noticed that ppl on here use this word a lot...do ppl actually say this in real life when referring to ppl from the NE??

i'm not trying to be funny, i'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,147,153 times
Of course . We have a guy from CT working at our company and we use to have one from PA and we would call them "damn yankees." We pick on them all the time and they get a kick out of it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,238,432 times
No, I'm sure they didn't get a kick out of being picked on all the time. But they felt it better to smile and keep their jobs rather than hit you upside your heads. It was Northern Charm and politeness at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Of course . We have a guy from CT working at our company and we use to have one from PA and we would call them "damn yankees." We pick on them all the time and they get a kick out of it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
No, I'm sure they didn't get a kick out of being picked on all the time.
How would you know?

My friends down here from Vermont, Connecticut, Philly, etc., laugh when I call them yankees. they also laugh when I say FUHGGETABOUTIT really loud. Take it like a big joke, that's usually all it is.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,238,432 times
How do you know they are not laughing AT you rather than WITH you?

Such "jokes" get real stale real fast.

Imagine yourself in a new job in an Northeastern city. Co-workers make fun of your accent (even though you are sure you don't have any accent). How long is that funny to you? When it's REALLY no longer funny, what do you do about it? Tell the "joker" to back off? Or just smile and say, "Heh-heh" because you don't want to get angry at the people you need to work with every day? Hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
How would you know?

My friends down here from Vermont, Connecticut, Philly, etc., laugh when I call them yankees. they also laugh when I say FUHGGETABOUTIT really loud. Take it like a big joke, that's usually all it is.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i noticed that ppl on here use this word a lot...do ppl actually say this in real life when referring to ppl from the NE??

Yep, but it's done with affection. You've only got a problem with someone if they refer to you as a DAMN Yankee

Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,778,756 times
Some of my dads coworkers call him a west coast yankee. Many friends and coworkers tease and pick on each other in fun. If someone you don't know is being a jerk and calls you a yankee then obviously that is uncalled for and very rude, but you are less likely to come across this.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,199,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
Southerners who call people from the north Yankees are just jellous because they lost the war. Thats what makes the north awesome.
Well bless your heart.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:08 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,187,536 times
I found one branch of my family moved to Virginia from England (pretty common thing to do in the 17th century). They moved down to NC, skipped over to Ohio after three generations in this country, lingered briefly in Kentucky, then to Illinois where four generations settled before one - me - moved to NC. The other side are descendants from the the Carters of Virgina. One of the notable members of the family is a Robert E. Lee (nudge-nudge a certain Confederate General?) A few years ago I made a pilgrimage to Welcome to Shirley Plantation, Charles City, Virginia. America's Oldest Family Business and Virginia's Oldest Plantation. History for eleven generations since 1613. where the Carter family still lives into its 11 or 12th generation

to do some more family tree investigations. I was directed to a church by one of the docents. The Carter Family book is lodged there. Found out there are 35000 descendants from the first Carter to hit these shores. That's a lotta cousins to look up! I don't doubt that many have ended up in "Yankeeland" It's just the natural progression of families uprooting themselves according to whim or need. Though some - like my Carter cousins of Shirley - stay bound to the home place out of inheritance and the desire to stay close to their roots.

Last edited by mrstewart; 07-13-2009 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM

33,651 posts, read 58,376,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Yes, people say "Yankee."
Many Yankees, myself included, say "Yankee."

Among friends, or without ill intent, it is no big deal.
Like any other word, used with rudeness and ill intent, it can be derogatory. But the word is not then the issue. The utterer or the subject person becomes the issue.

I am a Yankee. That fact will never change. Born in the Endless Mountains region of Pennsylvania.
If some calls me a Yankee due to that fact, it usually is just a word of convenience.
If someone calls me a Yankee with animosity and prejudice towards all from the North, they may be in a small minority, and they may just be a jerk.

If I were to go all-out "Yankee" and narcissistically assume I am a prophet the local folks had not heard before a million times; if I were to blabber and pontificate endlessly on how much better things are on the North side of the Mason-Dixon Line, how people are more intelligent, better governed, more articulate, better business people, more honest, better cooks, etc, etc, ad boring-whiney-ignorant-rude-stupid infinitum, I would be working hard to achieve status of "Damn Yankee."

I aim for embracing my adopted home, enjoying myself here, meeting a LOT of great people, and, yessireebob, accept being a "Yankee."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-04-2009 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina