U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches591 View Post
Driving Distance to Beach (Max 30 minutes)
Area that does not get major damage from hurricanes
That ain't going to happen anywhere on the east coast or gulf coast except perhaps north of Mass. You need to move to Kalifornia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM

13 posts, read 41,331 times
I'm on your page with all of that

Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. My boyfriend and I are moving to North Carolina, and need your help! We know what we want in a place to live, but it is a matter of finding it. We have some ideas from research, but it will be easier talking to actual people.

This is what we're looking for:
Malls/Stores within ten minute distance, if not less
Area that is growing and starting to boom and build up, if it has not already
Cost of Houses (100K-200K)
Contracting/Plumbing Jobs available in area or driving distance

If any of you have any input, please let us know! Our current lease is up in a month and we will have no where to live. We want to move down there ASAP! Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Wilmington is your best bet for amenities I just look up and saw a new home for 135k 3 bedroom 21/2 bath 19oosq ft on market st. on truila website That is a good street to be on. and within 15 minutes of the various beaches of the area.
I agree with above posters you cant get anywhere in coastal town and not be concern abut hurricane or flood damage. Even our mountains have suffered hurricane damage.

If you dont see anything there I might suggest Conway sc.
This way your BF can work on projects in Myrtle Beach that is sort of going under a face lift at will turning into more of skyrise condo community so plenty of projects for him there.

good luck to both of you.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM

505 posts, read 2,309,203 times
There are only two cities that could fit in your cat. Both are not perfect, but this is as close as it comes.

Wilmington....everything you could ask for....but it gets some hurricane damage.

New Bern...35 minutes from beach, some minor tree damage from Hurricanes.........so far. Not the best shopping....but there is some. The city is booming though. New Bern is surrounded by large bodies of water on three sides.

Both are great towns

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM

wow, thank you! you guys are a great help! i am off to do some work, but I will look those other towns up when i get home. they sound like great opportunities! thank you so much!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 AM

69 posts, read 257,197 times
Default where from nj are you from?

Quote:
wow, thank you! you guys are a great help! i am off to do some work, but I will look those other towns up when i get home. they sound like great opportunities! thank you so much!
Hi peaches about what county do live in because i too am trying to get out of here because it is to exspensive to live here so we have been doing some shopping around in NC and are trying to get out asap. i hope you find what your looking for because we are trying to find the same things down there like we have here, and i'm taking a second trip down to look at a couple area's and i'm hoping we find it on this trip.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 AM

787 posts, read 3,317,238 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. My boyfriend and I are moving to North Carolina, and need your help! We know what we want in a place to live, but it is a matter of finding it. We have some ideas from research, but it will be easier talking to actual people.

This is what we're looking for:
Malls/Stores within ten minute distance, if not less
Area that is growing and starting to boom and build up, if it has not already
Cost of Houses (100K-200K)
Contracting/Plumbing Jobs available in area or driving distance

If any of you have any input, please let us know! Our current lease is up in a month and we will have no where to live. We want to move down there ASAP! Thanks in advance for all your help!!

I can tell you right now that if you are looking for a place as close as 30 minutes from the beach, not getting damage and even major damage from a hurricane is just about impossible. I live about 90 minutes from the beach and Fran took out our fence and roof in 1996. In 1999, the entire eastern part of North Carolina even further inland than I was sustain major life altering flooding throughout 42 eastern counties. I really don't know of a place in the east that is not prone to hurricane damage. It is just a fact of life here. When we are due for a strike, the ones on the immediate coast board up and evacuate. For people like me, we usually stay put unless it is higher than a Cat. 3 although I lived through Hurricane Hazel in 1954 along with my family. I was only 3 at the time but I remember the reactions of the adults around me. I believe she might have been a Cat. 4 at landfall near the beach. We probably got the Cat. 3 damage. You deal with the trees, the roofs and whatever and move on. But living on the beach or near the beach, you can expect at some point to have hurricane damage in one form or the other.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 AM

FunneFam, I'm from Monmouth County, NJ. How about you?

BethanyTed, thank you as that helps me understand as our weather is nothing like that up here! I am going to research some of those places suggested by the others. It sounds like they might fufill our desires and dreams

Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 AM

700 posts, read 2,936,072 times
We looked all up and down the East Coast(moved here from Florida)and chose Wilmington.We've been here four years in October and haven't had any damage yet.By the time the hurricanes get here so far,they're just tropical storms,but we realize that can change.We're in a gated community in a beautiful all brick home and paid $199,500.00 for it.Now they're selling for well over $300,000.00 so you may not find much in the $200,000.00 price range now.Things have changed dramatically since we've been here as far as growth and the cost of living is rising rapidly but the wages aren't.Make sure you have plenty of money and a good income before you come here to stay.

Last edited by Florida15; 04-18-2007 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 133,508 times
Peaches, look in SW Wake County for a price lower than 300K and plenty of building is still going on in that area, so hubby should look up Raleigh Builders. I think if you google search you can find a web page for local builders association.

Sw Wake County is about 2 hrs to 4 hours to the beach depending on which beach you are visiting. It is about 3 hours to the Mountains. 5 hours to DC and about 7 to Atlanta. 2 Hours to Charlotte.

If you have children its 3 hours from Kings Dominion in Virginia and about the same to go to Williamsburg and BuschGardens.

There is a wonderful mall off I-40 called Southpoint Mall. There are wonderful schools in sw wake county and wonderful people, churches, doctors and I could go on and on. It's a wonderful place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or