Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,549 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

It seems like there are a lot of posts on here about transplants from the North, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive but I couldn't find another post with what I"m looking for.

I'm from Ohio and will be graduating from college in 3 weeks with my degree in early childhood education. I'm looking to move to NC for a teaching job and I know there are lots of opportunities! I've met with several districts and have recieved a lot of great info. from job fairs up here in the cold snowy north, but I'm looking for an area that will fit me.

I want to work in a more urban district - I like the diversities and enjoy working with kids that need help, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to throw myself into working in the innercity. I want to live somewhere close (if not in the same city that I will be teaching in) but somewhere safe. I will be living alone! I also cannot stand the country! I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, so I do not fit in the rural areas. I've been trying to research different places, but it's difficult to know exactly what places are like online, so I'm hoping that you all can help me out! I am also planning a visit to the state after graduation.

I am currently looking at Asheboro City Schools. From talking to the HR people, it seems like the type of school district I would like to work in. But I don't know what the area is really like. Other places I'm looking at are (basically by county b/c I only really know about the school districts): Robeson County, Montgomery County, and Newton-Conover.

Any and all information would be incredibly helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to read this loooong post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post
Hi Everyone,

It seems like there are a lot of posts on here about transplants from the North, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive but I couldn't find another post with what I"m looking for.

I'm from Ohio and will be graduating from college in 3 weeks with my degree in early childhood education. I'm looking to move to NC for a teaching job and I know there are lots of opportunities! I've met with several districts and have recieved a lot of great info. from job fairs up here in the cold snowy north, but I'm looking for an area that will fit me.

I want to work in a more urban district - I like the diversities and enjoy working with kids that need help, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to throw myself into working in the innercity. I want to live somewhere close (if not in the same city that I will be teaching in) but somewhere safe. I will be living alone! I also cannot stand the country! I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, so I do not fit in the rural areas. I've been trying to research different places, but it's difficult to know exactly what places are like online, so I'm hoping that you all can help me out! I am also planning a visit to the state after graduation.

I am currently looking at Asheboro City Schools. From talking to the HR people, it seems like the type of school district I would like to work in. But I don't know what the area is really like. Other places I'm looking at are (basically by county b/c I only really know about the school districts): Robeson County, Montgomery County, and Newton-Conover.

Any and all information would be incredibly helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to read this loooong post
All the ones you mentioned are pretty rural county areas. If you want a more urban teaching experience you need to situate yourself near to Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham. That would be Mecklenburg county or Wake county.

Of the ones you mentioned above I believe Newton-Conover is where I would personally go. Congrats on your graduation

Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 PM

80 posts, read 461,724 times
I would echo lovesMountains assessment of the counties you have currently applied with/looked into. I would also look at Asheville (Buncombe County); Winston-Salem (Forsyth County); Greensboro (Guilford County); Chapel Hill (Orange County); Durham (Durham County); and Wilmington (New Hanover County) if you want something even remotely close to what you have available to you in the Cleveland area. There are any number of reasons to choose one over the other. Wilmington would have the best year-round climate and is the largest city on the coast. Chapel Hill is the home of the University of North Carolina's flagship campus and has easy access to both Raleigh and Durham. Charlotte is the largest city in the state with plenty of Northern transplants, professional sports teams, and entertainment options.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM

105 posts, read 391,355 times
If you want an urban area, I would suggest Raleigh or Charlotte- Raleigh is very diverse and has a lot of great opportunity and a promising future. I can't help you much with Charlotte, but have heard it's a very nice place as well. If you have any questions about Raleigh just ask.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 20,081 times
NeedHelp,

The area you mentioned, Asheboro, is not very urban at all. I would say for what you described you would be happier in an area such as Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham. I personally live in the Charlotte area and LOVE it. BTW, my daughter is going for Early Childhood also, she will be transfering to UNCC in the fall to start her Soph. year there.

Have a GREAT day!!

Jim McGuire

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-03-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: REALTOR SOLICITATION

Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,549 times
Default Okay, I'm officially confused

Now I don't know what to do!!!

At first I thought about moving to the Charlotte area, but I didn't really hear anything promising about the schools so that turned me off. Have I been misinformed??

I honestly didn't think much about the Raleigh area... I will have to look into it! Are there any specific areas that you could recommend?? Any particular reasons why these areas?? Same with Charlotte??

Thanks for all your advice! I'm terrified of making the wrong move!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post
Now I don't know what to do!!!

At first I thought about moving to the Charlotte area, but I didn't really hear anything promising about the schools so that turned me off. Have I been misinformed??

I honestly didn't think much about the Raleigh area... I will have to look into it! Are there any specific areas that you could recommend?? Any particular reasons why these areas?? Same with Charlotte??

Thanks for all your advice! I'm terrified of making the wrong move!
If you were a seasoned teacher I would beg you to come to Charlotte. We really need teachers. Unfortunately, the majority of ones that come want to be in the nice, new suburban schools when what we need is dedicated teachers in our struggling city schools. It really takes a special, experienced person to stick with the high poverty schools.

But for getting your feet wet and not getting scared off from your calling, I highly recommend you apply in Raleigh - Wake county schools. Overall their school system has better schools spread more evenly across their district. Charlotte is twice the size of Raleigh and we deal with more impoverised kids than anyone else in the state. Wake county is a NICE place to live, and teachers seem very happy there with their schools. Being so close to some of the finest universities in the country would be good for someone your age wanting to meet other young people too. Check out the little town of Carrboro for a nice place to live Good luck!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-17-2007 at 11:05 PM..

Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All the ones you mentioned are pretty rural county areas. If you want a more urban teaching experience you need to situate yourself near to Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham. That would be Mecklenburg county or Wake county.

Of the ones you mentioned above I believe Newton-Conover is where I would personally go. Congrats on your graduation
Ditto!!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM

94 posts, read 289,704 times
Default re:

to "need help" I am in the exact same boat! Do you have anything figured out yet? I also live in Ohio, and graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Education. I want to get out of this pit!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM

123 posts, read 511,628 times
If you're looking in Asheboro, drive south on 220 and visit Moore County. Southern Pines, Aberdeen, and Pinehurst. We're suburban. 1 hour south of Raleigh 1:10 south of Greensboro, and 2:30 to the beach. We have all the suburban amenities (dining, shopping, and recreation) and very little crime. School district is in the top 10 of the state. It's much nicer than Asheboro, or anything in Montgomery County. Cost of living is cheaper, too! 1 BR/1Ba in a new apartment (fireplace, ceiling fans, Pool, etc.) will run about $500 per month.

Give it a shot! Just a little more homework for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina