Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 40,025 times

Advertisements

I am a senior in highschool and i am wanting to go to asu in North Carolina but i live in Tennessee. I am thinking about taking a year off from school and just living in NC to become a resident so i can get in state tuition but i am aslo hoping on getting a scholarship for wrestling at asu. what should i do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjohn View Post
I am a senior in highschool and i am wanting to go to asu in North Carolina but i live in Tennessee. I am thinking about taking a year off from school and just living in NC to become a resident so i can get in state tuition but i am aslo hoping on getting a scholarship for wrestling at asu. what should i do??
Well, don't waste a whole year! If you don't get a scholarship to attend ASU, then I'd suggest you move to the Boone area and attend the community college just to get a few classes (basic English, math) out of the way while you wait the year out. Our community colleges are a lot more affordable on out of state tuition than our universities.

Closest to Boone is Caldwell Community College

Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, don't waste a whole year! If you don't get a scholarship to attend ASU, then I'd suggest you move to the Boone area and attend the community college just to get a few classes (basic English, math) out of the way while you wait the year out. Our community colleges are a lot more affordable on out of state tuition than our universities.

Closest to Boone is Caldwell Community College

Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute
Agreed wholeheartedly. Also, wanted to add that some private colleges offer a good deal of scholarship money to out of state kids as an incentive to attend their school over similar schools in state. I don't know how well endowments faired during the recession, however, so I'd just contact schools individually and see what sort of scholarship package you could earn with them for the duration of your time at the school.

My time at a private undergrad institution was supposed to cost around $30k year but ended up only costing me about $5000/year. That included room, board, and tuition and was less than I would have paid at a state school where I wouldn't have qualified for as many scholarships. I can't say you'd have exactly the same experience... but it's worth a shot to consider.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM

138 posts, read 418,922 times
I don't know how ASU handles it, but I tried to transfer to NC State from an out of state university. I was living in Raleigh and had an address there for 2 years straight. I was accepted as a transfer but not granted in state tuiton because I was under 21 and my parents lived out of state (though they didn't pay a penny of my schooling or expenses). Despite proof that I was paying 100% of my tuiton, and room & board at school and the rent in Raleigh by myself (jobs and student loans), they still refused to grant me in-state status.

So before you move, make absolutely certain they will grant in-state tuiton to you.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Also, before you move, make sure you can support yourself for a year.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times
I also had trouble gaining in state status at UNC-CH. My parents were separated, dad in NC, mom in SC, so they declared me out of state, even though I went to school in NC and my dad was a taxpayer and I was his dependent. Went through an appeal hearing and lost. They are extremely picky when it comes to residency status. I had to pay a ridiculous out of state rate for my first year there, then in state from there.

Also, I don't recommend taking a year out of school then applying for entry into a 4 year university. There are only so many spots and you'll be competing with kids fresh out of high school. The community college route is good, but I think if that's your first choice, it's best to just apply for it, try to get all the scholarships and grants that you can and go for it. If you get in, you'll get access to a financial counselor who can help you find everything. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

It is really hard to gain in-state status and rightfully so. It is an underhanded way of cheating our tax paying citizens for your own personal gain. I hope that you get in to one of our fine schools and that you pay the out of state tuition for your entire duration as a student. NC has a great higher education system that is a real bargain for our citizens. One way we keep the tuition cost low is by charging out of staters 3 or 4 times as much. You are an out of stater that is trying to work the system. I hope that you fail. Odds are that you will never get in state rates.
Lastly- as a former full scholarship college football player, I can tell you firsthand that if you do not have a scholarship offer by the spring of your senior year, you will never have one. I had 15 or so before the start of my senior year. You are either being recruited or you are not. There is no middle ground.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjohn View Post
Why not any of the fine institutions in Tennessee? U of Tennessee? East Tennessee State? to name only a very few. Unless you are an emancipated minor, you will be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina